Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Knopfler This year Live!!  (Read 14391 times)

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Knopfler This year Live!!
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 04:48:12 PM »
...and I totally agree .. ;) I've followed Mark since the very beginning, and loved him ever since. All I'm saying is, he COULD try and do something different next time. I've seen him 8 times including Dire Straits. He says the same things, does the same moves, at every show, thinking it's the first time..the internet has been around for at least 15 years now..

MK is never going to change how he moves, because that is HIM - it's part of his character!  He is not going to suddenly start doing something that would be alien to him!  As for saying the same things - yes he does do that, but I regard it as a kind of private family joke!   We hear the same phrases on every tour and we smile or laugh politely, but somehow it doesn't matter, because we love him and, first and foremost we are there to see him play his music.

You do realise, don't you, that we will always be "very sweet" to him!  ;D   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »
MK is never going to change how he moves, because that is HIM - it's part of his character!  He is not going to suddenly start doing something that would be alien to him!  As for saying the same things - yes he does do that, but I regard it as a kind of private family joke!   We hear the same phrases on every tour and we smile or laugh politely, but somehow it doesn't matter, because we love him and, first and foremost we are there to see him play his music.
You do realise, don't you, that we will always be "very sweet" to him!  ;D  

Well I wouldn't mind for a bit teeth guitar playing, or putting the guitar on fire. And since we are only used to see such things from Jimi and young musicians, it would surely be a first for our elder hero, or any older guitar player for that matter. Of course I am only joking but there is always a part of truth in the jokes.I surely wouldn't mind for a specially made rockumentary in the "Spinal tap" vein, the whole seriousness kills a bit part of the fan, and the inside joke of repeating the same old words to every gig has ceased to be a joke from the third repeat. Well he could pay some comedian to write him a couple of originals per gig. And maybe swear a bit, he'd look more rock. And maybe play a couple of songs by Deep Purple, or, why not, Lady Gaga. They rock!!! I am sick of him playing the same old songs all the time, or even his new songs that are quite like his old ones: boring. Why even record them, they are like they were written, way back in the 30ies. I want new space age sounds, Guy should contribute more with synth sounds and not the crappy guitar finger style, it's been done to death. And having all these musicians on stage playing these ancient instruments and PIANO? Is this why my ticket is so expensive? Paying these people to play Tinkerbell music? Give me a break. MK wrote just one decent song and he is cashing on it ever since. Let me tell you, "Les boys" was terrific, but had a lousy bridge, but I could forgive it because of the fine lyrics, but it is just one song over 30 years ago. I much prefer the recording career of the group "it's Immaterial" - "running away from home" fame. And anyway who cares about music in the concerts. The fine recordings are done in the studio, with lots of overdubs, EQs and special guests that can actually play the guitar and sing. You go to the concerts in order to say to your grandchildren that you've been there, for the beer, chicks and the drugs. And let me tell you there are not much of these things in an MK gig.  So say NO to MK and say YES to Jimi Hendrix. Even dead he is more alive.  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:29:07 AM by VGONIS2002 »
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »
ROFL!   :o   :lol
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »

Quote Vgonis2002: "You go to the concerts in order to say to your grandchildren that you've been there, for the beer, chicks and the drugs. And let me tell you there are not much of these things in an MK gig."

Hhhmm ..... are you joking Vgonis?  ::) If you are serious, then I have to say that I disagree with you!  ;D

I love watching Mark on stage, I love the music and I even think the music is better live then on an album, that is my opinion! Of course it would be wonderful if we would be able listening to all his songs of all his albums, but I don
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 10:46:16 PM »
LMAO
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »
I hope you don't mind my intervention. Although I am primarily a Dylan fan (and have seen him live dozens and dozens and of times), I have also seen MK many, many times live. This has been in various formulations (DS, NHBs, solo tours and contributing to tribute shows) and in different kinds of venues (stadia, arenas, smaller halls, clubs), so I can speak from some experience.

Yes, I have criticised MK in the past for the fact that he does essentially the same show night after night on any tour but, if putting on a show is simply to satisfy his devoted audience, then I am opposed to that suggestion. Pandering to this audience may get him a short-term gain but it will be at the cost of his long-term artistic development. Yes, he has a unique guitar style and a lovely touch but he cannot grow musically on that alone.  I like the fact that the seeds of some of the songs that I enjoy most seem to have come from books he has read and that he has nutured these seeds until they germinate and flourish. I love the way he has veered towards his folk roots but, equally, I know that he may find something else to inspire him and that he could move off in a direction less to my liking. There is nothing wrong with this; indeed, it is to be admired and encouraged.  Those who seek to ossify him should open themselves up to new possibilities.

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Those who seek to ossify him should open themselves up to new possibilities.

Well Guy said on his forum that the fact that there is a harmonica on the new album, points to the style of some of the new songs.  As much as I love his folkiness on recent albums, I am hoping for a more bluesy album this time! 

Would something more bluesy suit you, twm? 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 07:45:17 PM »
Thinking back to the 2011 live newbies, I was far less impressed by them than the folkies ones from 2010.

So a bluesy sound for next album why not?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »
I like the blues, too.

Last night, we went to see BluesClub in a small venue. This band now has Guy Fletcher and Danny Cummings amongst its members. They did a roughly 2-hour set, straight through, mostly made up of old R'n'B numbers from the late-1940s to the 1960s. In my youth, I was pretty keen on this and saw, amongst others, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Sonny Boy Williamson and Willie Dixon live. I also saw some of the earlier greats live, such as Sleepy John Estes, Blind Gary Davis and Son House. If MK's new album veers in this direction, I am likely to pleased.

The presence of a harmonica player doesn't limit it to being blues-based, of course. The harmonica player in BluesClub is Peter Hope-Evans, so maybe it is him on the new album.

I think a song like "Privateering" could grow on me, though it is not exactly made for an R'n'B treatment.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »
Bought the new issue of Uncut (February) has a two line reference to MK going back to the studio for his 7th solo album.
Also read that the CD format might become obsolete due to poor sales, and instead they will issue only download versions or (maybe) special overpriced editions for the fans.
Blues or folk we are all going to buy it, so what's the use? I really feel that an outside producer (like Lanois) could do the trick and breath new air to MK's songs. Think about the Beatles. I don't think that they would have made it that big without George Martin's inventive production. Of course they had great songs, but so did the Kinks, another great band but with poor production. Of course MK's production is fine, well polished and all, but it is the extra ideas that come from an outside pair of ears that can do the trick. Don't get me wrong, Ilove his music no matter what, but just think how many times have you listened to your fav DS song and your MK song.  

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »
twm - I saw the BluesClub Band a couple of years ago at The Inglenook and it was very enjoyable, except for one thing - Gary Grainger who was the guitarist at that time (now replaced with Robbie McIntosh), was much the worse for drink, so Guy's son, Max helped out.  He also opened and played some Dylan songs!   I was greatly impressed by the harmonica player, Peter Hope-Evans and, indeed, he is terrific on the BC album too - definitely one of the highlights!

BTW The harmonica player on the new album is Kim Wilson, not Peter.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:56:08 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »
but just think how many times have you listened to your fav DS song and your MK song.  

Too many times to count!   :lol
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 12:21:24 AM »
Yes, it was The Inglenook and Robbie McIntosh was very good. I heard or read that he is a Lightnin' Hopkins fan. I should have taken along a booklet I have (from Belgium) devoted to Hopkins; gee, it must be 45 years old now! Peter Hope-Evans was very good indeed.

There was a young man on the door who looked the spitting image of Guy - I assume he has more than one son. The other person on the door, I'm pretty sure, was Danny's son.

They were selling signed CDs on the door, too.

Offlineferguitar

• Local Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »

. And maybe swear a bit, he'd look more rock. And maybe play a couple of songs by Deep Purple, 

That would be great, seriously. DP is the best band ever. He should play more obscure stuff like Bloodsucker, Into the Fire, Our Lady, No one came, Anyone

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 12:45:35 AM »
Ferguitar, you really beat me, in my own game! Apart from the statements where irony meets sarcasm to create a unique blend, I have to disagree with you on two points.  Jon Lord created great space sounds with the ancient compared to today's instruments.  I do believe that DP without him would never have been the same.(Same goes of course for RB and IG and RG and IP. OK IP was included only because I like his drumming).
The other one about Hendrix, I have to say that even though he is way over rated, he was very gifted. I don't like his live stuff, too much noise, as you say, but you have to admit that the control he had obtained over the instrument was fantastic. His studio albums are all unsurpassed, innovative, primitive and yet light years ahead of their time. You have to remember that he was the first artist to produce a so complex studio album, Electric Ladyland, that was actually a great artistic and commercial success, even though he couldn't read and write music! Hell, I don't like his live shows, but if you can stand the test, you might be able to understand the control it takes to reproduce the studio sound with all these overdubbed guitars, on a single guitar. Playing licks, rhythm and solos while filling the gaps at the same time! (of course his backing band was terrific and could support him, especially M. Mitchell. May God rest their souls-It is the first group that all members are gone)   
That said he is the most over rated but still the one that deserves to be so. Just look at some other guitarists like Kurt Cobain! Frusciante! J.Mascis! Knopfler!!! Blackmore!!!! Gilmour!!!!! Just lucky to write some good songs in the right place at the right time. 

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 38 queries.