Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Free Straits Concert  (Read 8477 times)

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
Free Straits Concert
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
Just got notified about a free gig the Straits are performing soon. I don't want this to end up turning into an argument but it does still get my goat that Alan Clark said it was important to find someone to "do what Mark Knopfler did on stage".

I totally and utterly can appreciate what the Straits are doing but seriously, the Lead guitarist is no Mark Knopfler. Go listen to some youtube clips, trust me he's great but not as good.

Sorry to moan but it really riles me when Clark says it as if Mark was easy to replace in the first place. Knopfler is a unique artist.

Anyway, here's the link http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/cruise-by-for-a-free-concert-by-the-straits-on-friday
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Love Expresso

Re: Free Straits Concert
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:37:50 PM »
Never mind, the whole Straits thing is as ridiculous as it was from day one...

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:42:38 PM »
He also talks about the Mk heritage...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:19:26 AM »
Never mind, the whole Straits thing is as ridiculous as it was from day one...

LE

True.... I Feel better now :)
Fordie

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 10:22:45 PM »
As much as the concept might be ridiculos, The Straits sounds really great. If you have a chance, it is worth a couple of hours. When Alan and Chris opens the show with their intro to Private Investigations, it really could have been a Dire Straits concert. The new guitarist is of course not Mark, but we all know that. To see Alan and Chris for free? Yeah, sure...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
As much as the concept might be ridiculos, The Straits sounds really great. If you have a chance, it is worth a couple of hours. When Alan and Chris opens the show with their intro to Private Investigations, it really could have been a Dire Straits concert. The new guitarist is of course not Mark, but we all know that. To see Alan and Chris for free? Yeah, sure...

That really was all I was meaning. I'm not at all denying that they sound good. I mean you've got a few world class musicians right there. I merely was irked somewhat, that Alan sounded very matter of fact about getting a replacement for Mark. Knopfler was the crux of Dire Straits and anyone who wants to copy him can only try. He is a unique craftsman not just with his exquisite guitaring but his vocal style too. Let's be honest its a great Tribute band and nothing else, Alan seems to believe different.

It's a bit like saying Queen is Queen with its current lineup....... I'm sorry, Queen is not complete without Freddie Mercury.
Fordie

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »

That really was all I was meaning. I'm not at all denying that they sound good. I mean you've got a few world class musicians right there. I merely was irked somewhat, that Alan sounded very matter of fact about getting a replacement for Mark. Knopfler was the crux of Dire Straits and anyone who wants to copy him can only try. He is a unique craftsman not just with his exquisite guitaring but his vocal style too. Let's be honest its a great Tribute band and nothing else, Alan seems to believe different.

It's a bit like saying Queen is Queen with its current lineup....... I'm sorry, Queen is not complete without Freddie Mercury.

I totally agree with you :)
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
Alan Clarke claims he has not spoken to MK about it. I am surprised that they can do it because of MK having all the rights to the music, lyrics and stuff.
The Straits are in a bit of a "grey area" here right (?)...   Original members performing with something they have (in my opinion) a great deal of theoretical rights to, but nonetheless absolutely no official right to do. Unless Mk has said a silent "yes..do what you feel like..."

A coverband can do what they want, but these guys are mostly original members. I have never heard them but haven often thought about what they sound like, and how good they are.
Anyway, good luck to them, if they come to Denmark, I will be there  :D

I am thinking loud now.... they should try to make another bandname for themselves, new music, their own lyrics, instead of just copy what they did 20 years ago.
But its easy I can imagine  :P :o ??? 8) ;D
cheers peter

Cheers Peter

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:39:27 PM »
Thats my point when I say they are more than a tribute band... They were original members of the band, and at least two of them (Clark and White) helped creating many stuff (even they were not credited for it, because as Guy says, its their work...).

Actually I find funny "The Straits" name, because the lack of the "Dire" that its the composer, singer and lead guitar of the band.

;D

Ps/ I watch a video from this show and honestly, although Steve Ferrone has familiar connections with Alan Clark, they should replace him as drummer... Looks like hes playing other songs.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »
Alan Clarke claims he has not spoken to MK about it. I am surprised that they can do it because of MK having all the rights to the music, lyrics and stuff.

Guy mentioned on his site that they don't need permission. It appears to be fine as long as they don't specifically refer to themselves as Dire Straits, and I'm sure The Straits' management have done their legal homework before they set out to start the project. Clearly though, there is a line of respect here that has been crossed considering MK wrote everything that DS released.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:34 AM »
Well I have stated my opinion on an other post and I still stick to it. The straits are surely a tribute band, in the sense that they try to recreate a sound of a group that has ceased to exist. The fact that at least 2 former members are playing, is an added bonus. What matters at the end is if the final outcome is worth listening. And the answer is a loud YES. We all miss DS sound and the straits sound is closer to that than MK's recent recorded music and concert sound.
That said, I would certainly prefer a DS re - union, even though I don't thing it would really mean anything to either the musicians or the average fan. (For the die hard fans like us, it is a different matter altogether, so we barely count). MK's sound, compositions and state of mind is so far from the sound of DS that asking from him to go back, is kind of looking down on him as a gifted composer and evolving guitarist and human. The achievements of the past can not be recreated because art no matter how good, fresh and for all times, has always strong links and ties to the original date it was created, while the artist always grows older and older.  In my opinion, even if MK was in the straits, it would still be a tribute band. We would just have more excuses to overlook the simple fact, that we desire them to re create the past. MK's versions of DS songs are great and even if they are not as faithful as the versions of the straits, we have the familiar voice and guitar. It may sound far reaching, but it is almost a father-son (or daughter) relation. We grow old together, the father is always the same person, but the qualities he had as a young person and the child remembers, are all fading or already gone. Father is almost a synonym for God to the small child, but as the child is growing older the relation changes.
And yes, it would be interesting to see what Alan can do on his own, but with so much music all around, most probably it would go un-noticed, even if it was the best music around. There are numerous examples, with stronger credentials and good music output, that were eclipsed when the original main attraction left or died. See the Doors, Big brother and the holding company, Allman brothers, etc. So, he is a musician and even if his goal was just to make a living, he has every right as long as he shows respect. And I think he does, and that is why MK has no objections.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »
I am not too sure if MK can object. By virtue of the fact he has signed up to the PRS this allows his music to be played. As long as the appropriate licence is obtained this will indirectly generate royalties for him and supplement the mechanical sales of his works.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
Its a similar situation when Roger Waters left Pink Floyd in 1985, Gilmour, Mason and Wright wanted to carry on as Pink Floyd, but they had to goto court to be able to use the name "Pink Floyd" as Roger said the group was a spent force musically, and the name should be put to bed, but as the other 3 wanted to carry on using the group name, they had to goto court to get it. Ok The Straits don't want to use the same same, but they are playing all DS songs and have a group name that is as close to the original as you can get. Personally I don't like the fact The Straits are playing these classic songs, because in my opinion no-one else can play the songs like Mark can.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 04:50:19 AM »
MK could have said the word to bring this thing down. If he had said that he didn't like it, even if he didn't have the power to legally stop it, no fan would have attended. His silence speak volumes.
And Pink Floyd is a famous situation but hardly a fitting example. The three members were contributing as equal members up until Animals. And Gilmour up to The Wall and as executive producer on Final cut. And two of them were there right from the very beginning. They also wanted the name, while "the straits" never actually wanted it. They defined their existence as a tribute band by choosing this name.
And it is hard to admit, but MK's sound, no matter how unique, can be re-created to the note, tone and every other feature but his voice, by gifted musicians. As a matter of fact these musicians can play his DS parts more accurately than our man, since they can take them out of context and analyze them, without the  emotional connections MK might have, just  by date. But don't be fooled, they are evolving musicians that love this music, just like MK,  even if they do it for money.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »
I

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 40 queries.