Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Free Straits Concert  (Read 8475 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: Free Straits Concert
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
[quote author=Jean-Fran
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
The thing with intellectual rights is it is all about the lyrics and/or melody. Chord progressions are not subject to copyright. So MK writes the song, comes up with melody and whatever anyone contributes after that - unless they change the lyrics or melody the song is still 100% MKs. That is how the music industry works.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
The thing with intellectual rights is it is all about the lyrics and/or melody. Chord progressions are not subject to copyright. So MK writes the song, comes up with melody and whatever anyone contributes after that - unless they change the lyrics or melody the song is still 100% MKs. That is how the music industry works.

Well, thats in legal terms.

In moral terms, if you create and added something, you and everybody involved knows that you added a part that comes from you. The fact that there is not any law that protect you, doesnt means its not true.

At least, thats my point of view. When you create culture (and music is culture, although its taxed differently to the books) its not the same that when you built a house or a table...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:21 PM »
But Guy et al are not contributing to the lyrics or the melody, merely the arrangement and arrangements are not covered by copyright to the same extent as lyrics and melody are.

Morals do not enter into any business. No company ever excelled by having moral standards. All forms of captialism is cut throat - dog eat dog so to speak.

And I am sure Mk is the same. He wouldn't give away any of his works freely if it meant costing him financially and that is not a criticism of him - it is how the world turns.

On another note - song titles can not be copyrighted either. I could write a song and call it Sultans of Swing if I wanted and no one could do a single thing about it. Copyright obviously exists to keep lawyers in work:-)

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »

Well, thats in legal terms.

In moral terms, if you create and added something, you and everybody involved knows that you added a part that comes from you. The fact that there is not any law that protect you, doesnt means its not true.

At least, thats my point of view. When you create culture (and music is culture, although its taxed differently to the books) its not the same that when you built a house or a table...

That is true and I am sure that MK says to Guy and the lads - 'hey do you want a credit on the album or a few grand extra in your pay packets?' and I think I know the anser:-)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 38 queries.