Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: I don't believe this, but . . .  (Read 4570 times)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
Re: I don't believe this, but . . .
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
Anyway, it would be a nice surprise if MK considered playing with the Straits, as Dire straits.
Not sure Alan would allow him to join.   :lol

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »
load of nonsense .Why would anyone pay them $10mill for a one off concert

Jackal

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 04:22:07 PM »
Just a little digression ...

IF DS were to reunite, for a one-off concert, how many people do you think they would be able to gather? Realistically? On the one side, they were big, very big, but not Beatles big. On the other side, Mark does indeed manage to get full houses everywhere he goes, and even The Straits get some good crowds it seems, many of which probably would be willing to travel far to see DS.

Are we talking a packed stadium here, or is that totally amiss?

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »
DS actually never stops. It just switched name to Mark Knopfler... ;)
I'm quite sure nonetheless, given the power of branding, that a good promo to bring back this old brand to life would be quite successful.
Question is, which DS are we talking to ? Can Mark still handle the heavy sound and fast pace that comes with it ? Are we talking about bringing back as second guitaritst: David ? Hal ? Jack ? Phil ? it would need to involve John Ilsley. John is a very nice guy, very much appreciated among the fans for his loyality, simplicity, and competence, but the thing is, could he meet the standards today ? Would Alan come ? it does'nt seem to me that Mark and Alan are in such good terms anymore.

To me, DS is dead, long live MK, there is continuity in my life, without the huge crowds who only know about a brand name and never bothered to know the actual people who made this brand alive...

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 05:07:06 PM »
Not a hope in hell DS will ever reform. I think the only reason the (new) Straits ever got together is because they realised the "bottle was empty" in the full knowledge they'd never play  with Mark again. Methinks bridges are burnt in any case now anyway. A shame but that's the way things go.

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
Oh, I know the story is totally messed up, but I thought everybody would enjoy a giggle.

Even the headline is goofy: "Coming BAKE(?)"
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
First off..there is no reason whatsoever for Mark to go through with it..he doesn't HAVE to..and he has stated vehemently over and over again that he doesn't WANT to. The music would be different..the atmosphere would be different..not gonna happen. Secondly..I find it odd that this little tidbit of news surfaced on a paper in Oman..why Oman? Why not 'leak' it to a reporter in the UK? Makes absolutely no sense at all.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Just crap. Dire straits was John, Mark, David and Pick. The other ones just visitors and we all know this four guy never do it again, especially Mark. And honestly I think Mark can't handle this kind a project anymore because his guitar, music and perstpective of music just so different right now. You know he is a wonderful folky guy  :lol

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 10:36:24 PM »
Lol...... Just Lol.

Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 12:55:14 AM »
Oh damn it, so their was no point in me fighting my way through the cobwebs to find my Dire Straits t-shirts, what a shame and what a waste of my afternoon. Thats the last time I trust the internet.

I thought that was you alright in the Thriller video Banjo :o :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:30 AM »
I haven't seen the article, just the passages quoted here.   Two lines prove it's from the east side of Mars: 
"I hated every minute of it."   Whether true or not, MK has never said this to any other interviewer that has been published.  He's always said the opposite.
"David persuaded him to record BIA."   David was long gone by 1985.   

But I'm sure the instant short-lived dream made some happy, and gave the rest of DS/MK fans a great big laugh.    ;D
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
I haven't seen the article, just the passages quoted here.   Two lines prove it's from the east side of Mars: 
"I hated every minute of it."   Whether true or not, MK has never said this to any other interviewer that has been published.  He's always said the opposite.
"David persuaded him to record BIA."   David was long gone by 1985.   

But I'm sure the instant short-lived dream made some happy, and gave the rest of DS/MK fans a great big laugh.    ;D

Well I guess the reporter has a better line of communication with MK. The psychology of MK during the endless touring from early on until the BiA heyday must have contained lots of bad minutes. Being away from home and family, relations falling apart, and all the crap from tour managers and promoters. And all these happening when you are on the top and with no need for money. So yes I guess a sentence "I hated..." could  have slipped his lips.
As for the comment about David persuading him to do BiA, well, sibling rivalry can have positive results. Trying to prove something to your brother, from a different angle, is a sort of a persuasive act.

Joke aside, the article is a fluke written by a flake. I have already wondered why we spent time commenting this, but obviously because it is fan!! ;D
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 40 queries.