Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Chorus '78 official DVD & INA download review  (Read 1826 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Chorus '78 official DVD & INA download review
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
Hi all,

About 6 months ago I purchased in France the "Chorus" 3 DVD box set. I was really joyful to have more official material on video !
But unfortunately they did a butcher job on it.
The original show featured: Down to the waterline, Six blade knife, In the gallery, Eastbound train, Water of love, What's the matter baby?,Wild west end, Lions, Sultans of swing, plus a nice little intervirew of the band.
The 2008 re-broadcast only kept the Interview, SoS, Lions, Water of Love, and Eastbound Train.
This DVD box managed to cut it even further: no more interview, not more Eastbound train, and two additional problems:
- Since the interview is not there and Lions was starting at the end of the interview, the beginning of Lions is cut !
- For some strange reason, at the end of Sultans (just on the end solo), the sound was ok but the video was slowed down by 50%. At first I thought it was a special effect, but it lasts for very long, and this "feature" is not on the Youtube versions, so I could only assume it was a bug in the DVD making process !

I was kind of frustrated to have paid so much for this, not being that much interested in the other material present on the box. Then by chance I went to ina.fr (French TV archive) and discovered that the show is actually available for purchase ! the 2008 rebroadcast version, with Interview, East Bound Train, no cut on Lions, and no slow down on Sos ! All this for 2 or 3

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Chorus '78 official DVD & INA download review
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »
By The way, if it can be of interest to any of you:
INA also features 54' of Pink Floyd concert in Saint Tropez (1970), with such rare gems as Atom Heart Mother, The Embryo... :)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
Can a non-french tell me if you manage to go to ina.fr, search "Dire Straits" and get the show ? I'm curious to know if there are country restrictions as for the BBC.
Thanks herlock, that's a great idea to look into the INA's database !
When they launched their site a couple of years ago, I tried : there was nothing.
There is much much more now. Hundreds of interesting recordings ;D ;) 

I'm connecting from Switzerland now and I'm not sure it works. At one moment I could add articles to the cart but not anymore.
I will look deeply tonight from France and then from Sweden, Denmark and a few other countries to compare.

They'd be very advised not tho play game with abroad connections. Kind of things I don't like at all.  >:(

How is the quality herlock ? What is the format ?

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:36:44 AM »
From Australia - I typed "Dire Straits" into the bottom search engine and two vids pop up, 'a full version of Eastbound Train and the intro to Water Of Love' but I could not understand how to purchase a the vids/show, if that option was available?

Thanks for the link thought, the vid and audio of Eastbound is great!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:54:47 AM »
I recorded the 2008 version broadcasted on french channel "Virgin 17" on my freebox, in MPEG-2
So I guess the ina download version add nothing more to my recording, except I must pay for it   ;D

The only "bonus" it could add to me, would be an artwork, and a silver pressed DVD, but I don't think it's the case ?
Does the ina DVD version have artwork ?

On their site, there's no info about this

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »
[quote author=Jean-Fran

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.