Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ed Bicknell end of contract with MK  (Read 31060 times)

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Ed Bicknell end of contract with MK
« on: April 07, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »
This was the message posted in MKNEWS in year 2000 where Ed Bicknell announced the end of his managerial contract with MK

I am writing on behalf of Mark Knopfler, John Illsley, Dire Straits and myself to advise that by mutual consent all Management Agreements between the aforementioned individuals and their companies will be terminated with effect from close of business, August 31st, 2000. Until that date Damage Management will operate as normal.

The September 25th release of Mark Knopfler's next solo album Sailing To Philadelphia is going ahead but the film soundtrack A Shot At Glory will probably not be released until the Spring of next year - although this entirely depends on the picture's release date being set. The promotional tour to support the Sailing To Philadelphia album will be taken over by my friend and colleague Paul Crockford, former manager of Level 42 and co-manager of Tears For Fears.

I've been advised that many of you are enquiring about tour dates and that this has been mentioned in some press as a consequence of interviews Mark has been undertaking over the last month. I cannot comment on what Mark may or may not have said to the press because I wasn't present but, at the time of writing , I can categorically state:

1. There are no tour plans at present, although I know that Mark very much wants to play live dates if feasible.

2. I have not spoken to or approached any promoter in any territory re a future MK tour, nor have I been asked to do so.

3. No halls or venues in any territory in the world are on hold or have been provisionally booked for a MK tour.

Although I won't be directly involved it has always been agreed that touring would only be considered around the end of November when everybody has had an opportunity to see how the Sailing To Philadelphia record does. Even if touring were to be a possibility I doubt very much that any tour would start before April/May of next year AT THE EARLIEST.

John Horwood, Jean Seal and myself, would like to thank all of the fans for their support over the years and to ask each and every one of them to look out for the next Blue Nile album, which will be released in the Spring of next year!

It has been an incredible journey.......love and best wishes to you all.

ED BICKNELL (27/07/2000)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:09:04 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

Re: Ed Bicknell end of contract with MK
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »
Very interestin, thanks, jbaent!

And not a single friendly word about Mark...

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »
and the tour started in march 2001, how did they set up that rather longish tour so fast?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:25:56 AM »

LE

I guess he was very dissapointed with Mark, after all that years taken care of him, looks like Mark didnt hesitate to break the relatioship despite their friendship.

Just two years after, when MK played the MK and friends gigs, there were two missing musicians in both bands, Ed Bicknell on the NHB, and Alan Clark on DS. I think it says a lot of how their relationships ended.

That note is a very sad memory to me but it wasnt a surprise. Many of you that were on the TR mailing list might remember Giancarlo Passarella

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:29:09 AM »
and the tour started in march 2001, how did they set up that rather longish tour so fast?

I

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 04:44:21 AM »

LE

I guess he was very dissapointed with Mark, after all that years taken care of him, looks like Mark didnt hesitate to break the relatioship despite their friendship.

Just two years after, when MK played the MK and friends gigs, there were two missing musicians in both bands, Ed Bicknell on the NHB, and Alan Clark on DS. I think it says a lot of how their relationships ended.

That note is a very sad memory to me but it wasnt a surprise. Many of you that were on the TR mailing list might remember Giancarlo Passarella
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
I presume they are still on fairly good terms, because Ed was present at the APRS presentation in 2010 and said some very nice things about Mark in his speech.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »
I presume they are still on fairly good terms, because Ed was present at the APRS presentation in 2010 and said some very nice things about Mark in his speech.   :)

A friend of mine that was living in Chelsea some years ago saw Ed Bicknell at Kings Road and was talking with him, and Ed mentioned that although they were not friends anymore after that, they were neighbours, and when MK had the motorbike accident, Ed went to see him. They are not friends anymore but they speak to each other and sometimes they share a tea.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
As you say, yeah, a very far memory. Makes sense now more remembering MK always talking rather without respect for his own work about "that philadelphia record..." when announcing songs live on stage... I think since he has British Grove the albums really sound the way he always wanted them to sound. KTGC seems to mark a new turning point in his career...

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »

A friend of mine that was living in Chelsea some years ago saw Ed Bicknell at Kings Road and was talking with him, and Ed mentioned that although they were not friends anymore after that, they were neighbours, and when MK had the motorbike accident, Ed went to see him. They are not friends anymore but they speak to each other and sometimes they share a tea.

Maybe things have improved between them by now, jbaent.  The motorbike accident was 2003 and since then Ed has been invited to the Variety Club Lunch in 2006 and also the APRS Presentation in 2010.  If they share tea together, things can't be too bad.  I hope so anyway.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
I can see Mark having problems with being pushed around by a record company after having been a prolific artist for 20 years. But then, STP is a superb record and I am quite happy that Red Staggerwing was left out...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 02:52:20 PM »
I always felt that Ed was very good for MK's career.

He was also very professional, moreso than PC (if I may say);  just look at the Toronto Internet hub, the fact you don't know where your VIP pre-booked seats are (mine usually front row, very end ::)) I could go on but I just don't think he is managed well. 

Oh, and there was the appearance on Alan Tichmarch!  Next Crocks will have him doing promo on Loose Women! ;D

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
LOL dmg!   Those daytime TV shows are really the pits, especially the two mentioned!   ::)  

Regarding seating - I would really prefer to be able to choose where I sit from MK.com, but on the whole I have been extremely lucky with my seat allocation.   Out of four concerts for Get Lucky, I was on the front row, centre for three of them.  The only iffy seat was my fourth concert at Bournemouth, front row, very end and in front of huge speakers!   In spite of this, the sound was still very good.  
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
You lot know more than I do about these things. When you lack the inside information, maybe you should start with what you do know. I understand that there was a working relationship with PC before the split with Ed but it may help to consider these two events - the split with Ed and the signing with PC - as two separate events.  Sometimes, just developing a succession of questions helps to clarify matters a bit in one's mind.

In suggesting the following questions, I do not intend to suggest any particualr scenario or sequence of events. If it appears so, I apologise in advance.  I am simply suggesting a more analytical style for consideration of this matter.

> Would the signing with PC have happened if Mark had not split from Ed?

> If the answer is "No", was it an amicable split?

> If not, what prompted the split with Ed?  

> If there were differences between Mark and Ed, what were those differences?

> If those differences started over managerial, music and/or related matters, what were those matters?

> And did they escalate to become more personal? This is not uncommon but, is that what happened in this case?

> If it did, it can be very difficult to reconcile those differences without one party or the other losing face. If so, is time a healing force following the break in such a long-standing and close relationship?

> Is that what has happened here?

Let's move on to the question of PC.

> Why was PC brought into the managerial fold on behalf of MK in the first place?

> How did that come about?

> What was PC's role in (or with) Damage Management?

> What was the division of responsibility between PC and Ed in terms of managerial responsibility for MK?

> If PC were brought in by MK, did he have a plan in mind?

> Or did MK simply wish to shake up his own management structure in some way but without any clear idea of what the outcome would be?

> Has there been any indication whatsoever that PC, having been brought in, acted to achieve sole responsibility for MK managerially?

> If so, what were those indications?

> If not, did Mark simply turn to him, as if to a port in a storm, when the split with Ed occurred?

> Does MK have exactly the same legal relationship with PC that he had with Ed?

> If not, what are the differences?

> And does PC have the same personal relationship with MK as Ed did?

> If not, what are the differences?

These questions then lead on to the different managerial approaches of PC and Ed. I guess it depends on your definition of professional but there is one different factor here. Mark is in a very different place in his career from where he was over 30 years ago. DS/MK and Ed, in a career sense, grew up together.  MK and PC did not. PC came into the managerial fold after the initial success had peaked, perhaps at a time when MK was less sure about his musical future. Another difference is that MK was Damage Management. I'm not saying that Damage didn't have other interests (you'll know more about this) but MK was, as they say, the main man (just as DS had been its main group). With PC, MK simply joined an existing management set-up. As they used to say in the early days of pop and rock music, he joined PC's stable of performers. This is, in my opinion, a very different managerial situation. It is therefore not surprising that we perceive a different management approach.

Having said that, some of the changes that we, as true fans in your case and as a concert-attender in mine, have experienced since the switch to PCM have not been to our liking. As said, the ticketing arrangements have been less than helpful. Since fans want to be fairly close to the stage, not knowing where your seats are on a pre-sale makes it impossible to know whether to apply through the normal channels. If you do, you can select the better seats for yourself but are then left with the problem of off-loading the ones you don't need. There have been some other annoying decisions by PCM, as well. In broad terms, PCM is far less fan-friendly than Damage. Whether that's down to PC or MK, I don't know.

What i can say is that, having met and spoken to both PC and Ed briefly at concerts (neither knows who I am from Adam), Ed was the more personable. I think this is reflected in the way the respective management organisations work and operate.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:44:13 PM by twm »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 40 queries.