Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ed Bicknell end of contract with MK  (Read 31082 times)

Jackal

Re: Ed Bicknell end of contract with MK
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »
Ed should write his memoirs.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »

Quote Jackal: "Ed should write his memoirs"

Hey Jackal you are right about that! ;) It would be nice to read about the period of Dire Straits.

In those years I was too busy raising my children and didn't pay attention to the music of DS,
so I can use some extra information!  ;D

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
Picking up on what jbaent said in # 19 above, I have several times experienced the same problem - that is, I write a "reply" and press the "post" button, only to find that the posting has not registered, as it were. Mostly, this has been with longer postings, though not only so. Is there something built into the system here that applies a "timed out" effect  to a posting-in-preparation after a period of time?

As for Ed, I think a memoir wouyld be very welcome. As long as it added something of substance to what has been said or written in the past, I'd buy it, I'm sure.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »
Picking up on what jbaent said in # 19 above, I have several times experienced the same problem - that is, I write a "reply" and press the "post" button, only to find that the posting has not registered, as it were. Mostly, this has been with longer postings, though not only so. Is there something built into the system here that applies a "timed out" effect  to a posting-in-preparation after a period of time?

to avoid this, when I write a long post, I write it before on Word, and the paste it here.  :)

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »

After you type a long post, and click the "Post" button, what screen do you see next if your post is not "registered"? Do you see the log in screen?
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »
Ed is the man who helped Dire Straits to become and stay huge.

Paul is the man who helps Mark to do what he wants.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 01:15:58 AM »
I have tried what Jean-Francois suggested (write a Word doc and paste into your reply) and it does work (and sorry about the lack of the cedilla, J-F).

As for the screen, I get nothing special. Everything seems OK but, when you check later, your posting has seemingly disappeared. Maybe there is a parallel universe somewhere out there with lots of "lost" postings.

This reminds a little of a discussion I once had about Dylan's first trip to the UK. It was December 1962 and he had got a contract from BBC TV to appear in a play. It was telerecorded for broadcast in January 1963 but the tape was wiped some 5 years later. Audience recordings of his contribution do survive (at least three people made them) but no official BBC recordings are known to exist. Anyway, I was bemoaning the fact that the BBC had not seen fit to retain their recording in 1968, even though Dylan was, by then, well-known and well-established and bemoaning the fact that nobody would now ever see it. One of the people told me not to worry, that the original signal was still out there, travelling through space and that, eventually and not in either of our lifetimes, the means would be developed to send craft out into space to pick up all those long-lost signals and to send them back to earth. I have no idea if this contention is possible within the laws of physics but it was an intriguing idea that has stayed with me beyond the well-oiled evening when it was put forward.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 04:30:33 AM »
As for the screen, I get nothing special. Everything seems OK but, when you check later, your posting has seemingly disappeared. Maybe there is a parallel universe somewhere out there with lots of "lost" postings.

So, after you hit "Post", it sounds like you're going back to the view with all of the threads as if you actually posted. OK, thanks, that was the info I needed.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »
had it happen to me too dan, exactly the way described abpve.
and i love the way Twm uses the word "telerecorded" :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »
A "telerecording" is the British word for a "kinescope".  It was a technique used by TV companies in the years both before videotape technology was developed and after it was developed but before it was being used universally.. 

The following is probably something of a simplification but, essentially, much television was "live" in those days, with filmed elements inserted into, or with movie films or filmed documentaries shown between, the "live" programmes.  Some programmes were pre-recorded, however, and they used the telerecording/kinescope technique.

The programme was prepared and performed "live", the visuals usually shot by several televison cameras which moved around the studio as required, and the audio recorded simultaneously by various microphones, also moving around the studio but out of sight of the cameras, of course.  The director and his or her (usually his) team would cut from one camera/mike to another, as required. The output from this activity would be fed to a television monitor screen to which would be fixed a movie camera, which would film what was shown on the monitor screen.  Sometimes this was done in advance, so that a programme could be shown later than it was made; sometimes, it was a technique used to preserve a programme going out live.

There is a Wiki entry on kinescopes, which is quite long. Here's a couple of bits about the use of "telerecordings" in Britain:

In the U.K., telerecordings continued to be made after the advent of commercial broadcast videotape from 1958 as they possessed several distinct advantages, particularly for overseas program sales. Firstly, they were cheaper, easier to transport and more durable than video. Secondly, they could be used in any country regardless of the television broadcasting standard, which was not true of videotape. Thirdly, the system could be used to make black and white copies of color programs for sale to television stations who were not yet broadcasting in color.

The telerecording system could be of a very high quality, easily reproducing the full detail of the television picture. The only slight disadvantage of the system was that it removed the 'fluid' look of interlaced video and 'filmized' the picture, but this would generally not have made a great deal of difference to the viewing audiences.

The system was largely used for black and white reproduction. Although some color telerecordings were made, they were generally in the minority as by the time color programmes were widely needed for sale, video standards conversion was easier and higher quality and the price of videotape had become much reduced. Before videotape became the exclusive transmission format during the early to mid-1980s, any (color) video recordings used in documentaries or filmed program inserts were usually transferred onto film.

Up until the early 1960s, much of the BBC and British television in general's output was broadcast live, and telerecordings would be used to preserve a programme for repeat showings, which had previously required the entire production being performed live for a second time.

British broadcasters used telerecordings for domestic purposes well into the 1960s, with 35 mm being the film gauge usually used as it produced a higher quality result. For overseas sales, 16 mm film would be used, as it was cheaper. Although domestic use of telerecording in the UK for repeat broadcasts dropped off sharply after the move to color in the late 1960s, 16 mm black and white film telerecordings were still being offered for sale by British broadcasters well into the 1970s.

Telerecording was still being used internally at the BBC in the 1980s too, to preserve copies for posterity of programmes which were not necessarily of the highest importance, but which nonetheless their producers wanted to be preserved. If there were no videotape machines available on a given day, then a telerecording would be made. There is evidence to suggest that the children's magazine programme Blue Peter was occasionally being telerecorded as late as 1985. After this point, however, cheap domestic videotape formats such as VHS could more easily be used to keep a back-up reference copy of a programme.

If you ever watch old television cllips of singers and so on, you can sometimes notice something on the screen which stays there, even after the camera pans across what you're watching. If you ever see this, it is likely that there was a mark or fault on the monitor screen and this is a kinescope or telerecording.

By the time DS were appearing on TV, these systems were no longer being used, I guess.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 12:18:40 AM »
Again gotta say that I love those stories of yours ;)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 01:42:31 AM »
If you follow early Dylan recordings, Pottel, then the 1964 QUEST television show, made by CBC (in Canada), is from a kinescope.

I had a very good contact in Canada starting in the late 1970s (he was also a Keouac fan and, in the end, sold his Dylan collection and concentrated on Kerouac). Anyway, when Dylan toured in 1974, there were lots of reports in the local paper and one mentioned this TV show. He followed this up and managed to get an audio recording of the show from CBC (which circulated widely) but, at that stage, even though they had recorded the show kinescopically, they had never developed the film.  I think it was his enquiry and the Dylan's 1978 tour that  prompted them to check what they had in the archives.  A clip was shown in a chat show - I think that was the end of that year but I could be wrong. Anyway, another Dylan fan managed to get a copy of the kinescope.

The other early Dylan television show that has survived is FOLK SONGS AND MORE FOLK SONGS, from March 1963 and broadcast by Westinghouse. That is not a kinescope and, not ot blow my own trumpet, I was the person who was instrumental in getting this from the vaults - and completely legally, too. If I've told this story before, then please let me know. If not, I'll maybe get round to telling it another time. And about a slightly funny follow-up in a bar in Vienna.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 07:11:12 AM »
I seem to remember having both shows in my collection, without further details though.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 12:10:09 PM »
This was the message posted in MKNEWS in year 2000 where Ed Bicknell announced the end of his managerial contract with MK

I am writing on behalf of Mark Knopfler, John Illsley, Dire Straits and myself to advise that by mutual consent all Management Agreements between the aforementioned individuals and their companies will be terminated with effect from close of business, August 31st, 2000. Until that date Damage Management will operate as normal.

The September 25th release of Mark Knopfler's next solo album Sailing To Philadelphia is going ahead but the film soundtrack A Shot At Glory will probably not be released until the Spring of next year - although this entirely depends on the picture's release date being set. The promotional tour to support the Sailing To Philadelphia album will be taken over by my friend and colleague Paul Crockford, former manager of Level 42 and co-manager of Tears For Fears.

I've been advised that many of you are enquiring about tour dates and that this has been mentioned in some press as a consequence of interviews Mark has been undertaking over the last month. I cannot comment on what Mark may or may not have said to the press because I wasn't present but, at the time of writing , I can categorically state:

1. There are no tour plans at present, although I know that Mark very much wants to play live dates if feasible.

2. I have not spoken to or approached any promoter in any territory re a future MK tour, nor have I been asked to do so.

3. No halls or venues in any territory in the world are on hold or have been provisionally booked for a MK tour.

Although I won't be directly involved it has always been agreed that touring would only be considered around the end of November when everybody has had an opportunity to see how the Sailing To Philadelphia record does. Even if touring were to be a possibility I doubt very much that any tour would start before April/May of next year AT THE EARLIEST.

John Horwood, Jean Seal and myself, would like to thank all of the fans for their support over the years and to ask each and every one of them to look out for the next Blue Nile album, which will be released in the Spring of next year!

It has been an incredible journey.......love and best wishes to you all.

ED BICKNELL (27/07/2000)

i posted this again as, for some reason, the message was gone, in fact, many of the answers in this post are cut.

I think this is a unique testament of MK's career and was worth to be posted again.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2019, 12:17:45 PM »
Thanks, very interesting to read.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.