Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: My first recording on the net  (Read 7485 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
My first recording on the net
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:04:14 PM »
At first I posted this in "general discussion" because it's not very MK's influenced, except maybe for the sound of the first solo.

But, then I posted here too  :D

http://soundcloud.com/jfstrat/bolide
hope it works

It's not really a song, just a riff I had in my head. I jammed over it, trying differents sounds.

The gear used is : a Fender US strat (2005) into a Vox Tonleab ST, directly into my PC via USB
the keyboard sounds (organ and brass) are played on a Yamaha PSR60, I got for Christmas 1986 (!)
Of course it sounds a bit cheesy, but that's all I got....
the Yamaha is also recorded through the Tonelab
the drums are played by a friend of mine, on real drums, but "trigged" and recorded also via behringer unit / USB

thanks for your comments !  Smiley

Jackal

Re: My first recording on the net
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Some old school rock n roll! I liked it. Sounded a bit like a cool movie theme. The section with the neck pickup sounded the best, I think. Cuts better in the mix. BUT - 7:20 is waaaaay to long. You have to be an LSD-fueled Greatful Dead fan to appreciate so long jams ;D (I do the same though - record endless things on the computer to test out sounds and riffs. I like it, but it probably is not fit for a CD :) ).

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »
Many thanks Jackal,
yes I know it's too long, but it was just one take, and I didn't know whre to edit  ;D
And well, if Grateful Dead's fans like it, I would be honoured !  ;D
I'd say it's more a compil' of ideas, of course not a final cut for the CD
It's just a demo, you know the kind of thing which became worth having many years later when you're become famous with a short 3' single, and all the fans want that the solo would be much much longer  ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:44:55 PM »
Very cool. Lots of very talented people around at AMIT. I like!

LE

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »
Many thanks LE  :)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:16:41 AM »
I listened to the first two minutes or so of guitar widdling!  ;) I mentioned to Jackal a while ago, that he should find himself a local band - its MUCH more fun than laborious home recordings (not that I don't do it myself or enjoy others) and you'd be surprised how many bands want/need a competent rhythm player that can handle the odd lead/keyboard line.

Also, once you've made the step of fitting into one band it's amazing how many connections come your way, and gig opportunities. I've had to dump a duo, just to fit the two real bands I'm in right now. Evening rehearsals aren't always a bundle of fun, but turning up is 90% of the battle, and inevitably it's a good time when you're rehearsing/ jamming.

Sounds good JF, get out there mate! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Jackal

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:36:57 AM »
Was out last night for rehearsal with a church band. Sounded very nice, actually. There's a young sax player who may not have the widest repertoire, but he plays by ear and has a great tone. Lovely!

Playing in a band is great when after a lot of planning, fiddling, arranging, things fall into place, the groove is there and people know what to do. But until then, it can be a struggle. Especially if you're playing with less experienced people, younger people who don't even know what a shuffle or swing beat is, and people who overplays. Communication and psychology play a big part!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 09:27:02 AM »
I totally agree with you Fletch and Jackal.
I used to play in bands when I was younger in the 90s.....

But you know, then you have : job, children, family life....your life and money priorities change and you put your guitar in the closet for many years.

I waited until 35 years old to have my first "real" fender strat. It was in 2006.
I waited for my daughters to grow up a little, and I started to play again, first in my room, and then approximately 5 times per year, with my friend drummer.
We don't have any rehearsal room, so he trigged his drumkit, and we play with headphones !
yes I know, a bit tricky, but we can have fun sometimes (between my job schedules which change all the time).
we don't even have a bass player for now ! So what can we do ? just playing some riff, ideas, and so on.

recently, my daughter has begun to write songs, and I found some fun to arrange, trying sounds, compose song structures.

So I started home recordings. Of course, it's not the same feeling as playing in a band.
But I find that it fit more with my family schedule and life organisation, and I have fun in it.

Maybe one day, I will find the opportunity to play with mates again  :)

Jackal

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
And here's a lesson, guys:

Unless you are very wealthy or marry a wealthy woman, make sure you buy as much gear as possible before you get married and especially before the children comes along.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »
And here's a lesson, guys:

Unless you are very wealthy or marry a wealthy woman, make sure you buy as much gear as possible before you get married and especially before the children comes along.

+1
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 11:23:10 AM »
Lol Jackal!

I must mention that I'm blessed in that, one band I'm in, the singer has his own studio AND some Roland TD-20 drums, so the sound is a delight and our ears aren't fatigued after two hours!
The other band, the girl lives on an acreage, so it's loud but no neighbours complain!!!

I can't speak highly enough of the Roland TD drum series, the sounds are great, the volume is controlled (great for cafes and smaller rooms) - the only negatives are the actual drummers who constantly moan that it doesn't feel the same as an acoustic kit!! Too bad, we say, ha ha!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Jackal

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:42:10 AM »
Speaking of ear fatigue, I just purchased a set of ear plugs (http://www.earplugstore.com/vater-percussion-musicians-ear-plugs.html - don't if they are the greatest, but that's what they had in the store), and that helped a lot. Actually, it wasn't the drummer's fault, but mine. I had hauled my gear to my office and sat one evening testing sounds, and of course I played too loud. Two hours of LOUD valve amp straight in my face. *RING RING*. But I'd say it was worth it - to feel the air pressure and hear the sound of a cooking AC15 is a delight.

Back to drummers - how I'd wish they'd learn that it doesn't have to be loud to groove! That's what I love about jazz. Those guys know how to make it groove and swing even at low to moderate sound levels.

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
  • Fender Stratocaster 61'
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »
Hi!

Very very nice tune, and good playing ... congratulations!!!  ;) I like it so much. You mix different sounds, sounds great.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 09:09:03 AM »
Many thanks trullols  :)
I will try to upload new tunes, but I don't have much time, so it will be approximately 1 per month ! :-[

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
[quote author=Jean-Fran
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 48 queries.