Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering Deluxe editions?  (Read 277408 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Re: Privateering Deluxe editions?
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
If those prices for the box set are real, then I'll get it too, I did buy the Get Lucky box set, and that cost more, so we'll see.
The thing about the whole deluxe release thing is, fans always want more, but has been seen with the Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield deluxe releases, you can't please everyone, personally I'm not one of those people who moans about it, I take the view, If I like what I see, I'll buy it, if not, I won't buy it. Also, I don't want to see EVERYTHING released, I like the idea of always wanting more, and knowing that an artist has more rarities locked away that may one day see the light of day. I mean look at The Beatles, even though with the 3 double CD's Anthology releases, there are still lot's more songs unreleased that fans know about, and when It's all out there, what is there left to look forward too? There are lot's of MK/DS gems not released yet either, but with time they will be, I'm sure of it.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
The problem with those boxes is that you pay a bomb, not get what you pay for - you get a few things you really want (e.g. unreleased live tracks, blu-ray high-res and multicanal album version) and A LOT of stupid stuff that NOBODY wants.

I have yet to find a single Pink Floyd fan who was craving for a few dices, pocket chips, cheap scarf, tickets duplicata... and pay 100

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
I agree with that, but I think with the Get Lucky box set, it was more a novelty thing, as It was the first time in Mark's musical output we had a box set like it, but your right, I don't own an LP anymore, so they will never get played I guess, but for avid collectors, there is a market for it. And personaly I love EVERYTHING Mark has done, so I buy as much as I can, but everyone is different :)
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »
What was that fake ticket in the GL box about? Why would anyone want that?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »

Officially, it was a replica of the Shepperd Bush 1996 MK concert...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »

Yeah but why? It makes very little sense to me.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:14:21 PM by Maxx »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »

Yeah but why? It makes very little sense to me.  ;D

Absolutly not any sense.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 12:04:14 AM »
Boxes, boxes, boxes. I am the first to call  them stupid and expensive, but also the first to go and buy them if I have the money. About GL, I guess you all know but let's put things in perspective about the releases:
1.single CD-original price 16Euros
2.double CD-original price 20 Euros
3.Deluxe boxset-original price 100+ Euros (important notice, the vinyl edition came WITHOUT jacket)
4.Vinyl edition-original price 35 Euros

So if somebody wanted all editions, he should part with around 170 Euros. Now you can check and see the current price for each and every edition. The cost  (they are all still available, or easily traceable) would be less than 100 Euros. I like the feeling of having something hard to find from my favourite artist, but I get the feeling that the amounts of special edition box sets manufactured, were  much greater than the price can justify. The same thing happened with the Dylan bootleg series no.8 It was released in 4 Editions:
1.Single CD-14 Euros
2.double CD-19 Euros
3. triple CD-100 Euros
4.Vinyl edition, containing the songs of the double CD edition.100+Euros

Dylan's release was crazy each edition, actually had more songs(different versions but still), so it made absolutely no sense. The triple CD which was the complete edition, songs wise, came with a hard back book, with photos of some of the singles worldwide. Now, I bought the edition 2 years after the release for 50 Euros. What makes things worse is that Dylan's Sony site, offered the edition, as pre-sale at the high price with the bait that some of them will be sent to the happy customers, with the addition of a specially cut 7''. So if you felt like gambling for more you had to pre-order at the inflated original price. Brian Wilson did something similar, 10 years ago, when he offered through his site, his then new album for sale. He said, that every second record-customer sold would be signed!And the question was, "if I buy 2 CDs would I get one autographed for sure, or is it by order-customer?" 

Back to MK.  I guess the reason for dividing the songs in single CDs even if the extra songs fitted in the 2CDs of the original version, is simply because they can cut the same CDs for all editions, (only the labels change) and at the same time divide what was the original concept of what we call "album" from the extras. Of course, in an older thread, we were talking about re-issues of the DS albums with extra tracks, and the integrity of MK that said that if they weren't good at the time of the original release, they are still no good. So what is the story now? I am pleased to see more songs released, but since I buy the deluxe edition, this is my view of the album, extra songs and all. That is why I don't get the special editions with extra songs, and the standard editions. I see them just as ways to sell, overpriced material. You overprice desire. Maybe I am too harsh, and it all comes down to you want it, buy it-you don't want it, don't buy it.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Love Expresso

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 07:54:49 AM »
I sympathize to a certain extent with that point, vgonis.
My point of talking about boxes, boxes, boxes is more that I don't want to miss something by buying too early. If I decide to buy the 3CD edition and then later learn that there is a voucher for a complete live concert download in the deluxe box, I would be unhappy to have missed that. Also the EPK is not really a "Deluxe" object, but I want to have it. The vinyl are totally redundant. I don't even know a person I could give them as a present, because not many people listen to vinyl these days. But I do not want to buy all three releases, but the best one. So I am eagerly waiting for some more info about the Super Deluxe Box edition.

So double album together with bonus CD with 5 live songs and download code for live concert? Yes I am in for that!  :)

LE

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 09:34:38 AM »
I do have all the vinyl from the beginning (albums only, singles I have a lot but not all) so I also want to have the new vinyl in my collection. That's why I also want to wait till it's clear what's in de super de luxe edition. I want it all and I hope they don't add stupid things like chips and fake concerttickets in it. That's really useless.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »
you have time until 31.08 to cancel your 3cd box LE.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
It would have been a nice idea if the record company had contacted GF and  asked him (since he is in contact with hardcore fans through his forum), just what they would like to be included in any potential box set.  This would surely be great for the fans as well as boosting sales and surely wouldn't be too difficult.

Obviously they wouldn't be able to please us on every front but I reckon we would end up with a product that would include some very attractive stuff... :P
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
It would have been a nice idea if the record company had contacted GF and  asked him (since he is in contact with hardcore fans through his forum), just what they would like to be included in any potential box set.  This would surely be great for the fans as well as boosting sales and surely wouldn't be too difficult.

Obviously they wouldn't be able to please us on every front but I reckon we would end up with a product that would include some very attractive stuff... :P

This is surely the most succinct and insightful comment on box set related matters ?
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »
My initial idea about the GL vinyls was to sell them and get back some of the money, but when I got the box... I thought that the vinyls have to be inside, even I wont listen to them never, but... its like they belong there.

I

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2012, 07:50:19 AM »
The problem with putting the whole concert on the bonus disc is it will give away the set list for the next tour.  ;D

Thanks, friends, for the laughs.   Seriously.    :lol
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 40 queries.