Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ian Thomas magazine interview.  (Read 42513 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Ian Thomas magazine interview.
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »
You know I hadn't really thought about it but the reason I maybe liked Redbud so much is perhaps to do with the lack, or minimal involvement of Messrs McCusker and McGoldrick.

This brings me nicely to something I was tossing over in my mind last night.  Whilst listening to two of the new songs played on the 2011 tour - Haul Away and Privateering - it struck me that every version was identical.  Now even a master arranger such as MK cannot find anything in them live on the next solo tour and to make matters worse the songs were being carried by "the folkies" anyway with MK taking very much a back seat.  So the quicker these songs were over with and MK was taking centre stage again the happier I'd be anyway.  Next please!  I must admit Haul Away is growing on me, but I really don't want these songs to be performed live;  when I go to a MK concert I want to listen to MK!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »
...apart from the few lines vocal perfomance, you mean...  :lol

I was thinking about this Leo Blokhuis tweet that celtic music makes him feel titanic-itchy... And then I too, realized, that at least Redbud Tree is a sign for some music on the album without them... And that maybe Haul Away and Privateering were the reason for Leos itchiness... I used to love their contributions but since Restless Farewell at the latest they started going on my nerves... I am happy that Redbud Tree is spared by them. And I hope that their is some cool fiddling and whistling on some songs where it really fits.

LE

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
When Alan Clark is interviewed on the Israel documentary he states that for BIA MK wrote a huge number of songs. So this is probably standard procedure for him to record a load of songs for a record. And Love Over Gold was originally intended to be a double album, so maybe this is a concept MK has had in his mind for a while.  The fact that the whole thing fits into two LP records leads me to believe we may be looking at around the 45 min mark for each disc of the album....otherwise things just start to sound poor on vinyl.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
I can't say if the GL bonuses are better or worse as I did not buy this fuckin' deluxe box.
I don't play that tricky game.

Neither did I! Still got the tracks though.  :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 05:18:26 PM »
Hi all,

Surprisingly, no one talks here about Mark's new drummer, as it's about an interview about Ian Thomas

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
Ian Thomas is the BEST drummer MK had ever... probably even better than Chad Cromwell.

The problem with here is that we compare his drumming with the previous drummers, many of us know how Chad or Danny played all the songs and when Ian play them his way, some dont like it, and its understable, because we expect something else.

I saw Ian Thomas playing drums in the Strat Pack dvd, as the drummer in the Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood dvd, he also plays in the Music for Monserrat concert (together with Phil Collins in many tracks) and his playing is EXCELLENT.

When in Glasgow concert last year, I liked him a lot because of all the new things he add to the old songs, the way he played the new ones, but I was a bit dissapointed because he changed many little things we were used with Danny, but every drummer has his beat. Actually, my impression was that probably MK music nowadays is not so demanding, concerning to drums, like it used to be, or to what Ian is used to play.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
You know I hadn't really thought about it but the reason I maybe liked Redbud so much is perhaps to do with the lack, or minimal involvement of Messrs McCusker and McGoldrick.

This brings me nicely to something I was tossing over in my mind last night.  Whilst listening to two of the new songs played on the 2011 tour - Haul Away and Privateering - it struck me that every version was identical.  Now even a master arranger such as MK cannot find anything in them live on the next solo tour and to make matters worse the songs were being carried by "the folkies" anyway with MK taking very much a back seat.  So the quicker these songs were over with and MK was taking centre stage again the happier I'd be anyway.  Next please!  I must admit Haul Away is growing on me, but I really don't want these songs to be performed live;  when I go to a MK concert I want to listen to MK!

I agree with you, the folkies are carrying too much weight in many many songs, but thats MK

daveyray70

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »
Hi, I've been lurking for awhile. Ian Thomas is fantastic! Danny Cummings was a good, solid drummer but not really good enough for an artist of MK's stature. Danny's a wonderful percussionist and average kit player IMHO. 

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
Sometimes even an excellent musician does not fit well with some artists - this is really an alchemy.

I must admit that Ian playing last year did not impress me.
What I recall is Privateering sounding just awful.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
Ian Thomas is the BEST drummer MK had ever... probably even better than Chad Cromwell.

The problem with here is that we compare his drumming with the previous drummers, many of us know how Chad or Danny played all the songs and when Ian play them his way, some dont like it, and its understable, because we expect something else.

I saw Ian Thomas playing drums in the Strat Pack dvd, as the drummer in the Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood dvd, he also plays in the Music for Monserrat concert (together with Phil Collins in many tracks) and his playing is EXCELLENT.

When in Glasgow concert last year, I liked him a lot because of all the new things he add to the old songs, the way he played the new ones, but I was a bit dissapointed because he changed many little things we were used with Danny, but every drummer has his beat. Actually, my impression was that probably MK music nowadays is not so demanding, concerning to drums, like it used to be, or to what Ian is used to play.
+1
I think he's add something more energic and powerfull stuff with one exception: SAN. Danny was the best option for this song. I really want to hear SOS and TR from Ian.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
Sometimes even an excellent musician does not fit well with some artists - this is really an alchemy.

Agree with you DS

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »

+1

And the alchemy worked with Danny.

Can't understand Mark's choice on this one. At least I'm happy to read I'm not the only one to think this way.

What Danny used to do, Ian did the same during the last tour… but with less energy.

What it is was just ok, Why aye man was average (no energy), Privateering was… err… not good at all, Speedway, I'll pass on this one (and won't comment either on Jim Cox's solo at the end of the song).

Sonny Liston was interesting but nothing Danny couldn't have done.

It's not that I'm against changes but skipping Danny was the worst choice MK has ever made.

From what I heard, I'll pass on the next album and tour. Period.

I hope MK's gonna change his mind but I seriously doubt it. :-/

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:29:00 PM by NicoMK »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I wasn't impressed by Ian Thomas either, especially on SAN, but even worse was Jim Cox on STP and also that horrendous end solo on SAN!    :o
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 01:10:05 AM »
Jim Cox is a different story, Mark's choice since 96. And SOS solo put apart I had no complaint about him.
That said Matt did a fantastic job and I miss him.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05:15 AM »
I didnt liked Jim Cox either... Matt Rollings played far better and with more energy... From Glasgow show I dont have any memory of him being on stage, but I have many from Matt... Excellent player.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 42 queries.