Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: North American tour announced with Bob.  (Read 65637 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: North American tour announced with Bob.
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »
Re TEMPEST:

I agree that "long doesn't necessarily mean better" but perceived length can differ from actual length. As well as the quantitative element, I suspect you are applying a qualitative judgement, too.  After all, "Roll On, John", which was not to your liking, is the same length, give or take a few seconds either way, as both  "Narrow Way" and "Scarlet Town", which you favoured more [7.25; 7.28; and 7.17 respectively].

All three are about the same length as "Visions of Johanna" incidentally. "Desolation Row" and "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands", from the same "classic" 1965-1966 period, both lasted over 11 minutes. "Highlands" (from TIME OUT OF MIND) lasted over 16 minutes and was much favoured by many but, for reasons I elaborated in another thread, I listened to this less than the rest of the album. "Brownsville Girl", on the pretty poor KNOCKED OUT LOADED album, also got favourable comment and it lasted 11 minutes.

"Scarlet Town" (and "Tin Angel"  for that matter) updates, rewrites and transforms an old ballad - and some of those old ballads went on for-ever-and-ever (and ever and ever) without mercy.

Finaally, while I acknowledge the practicality, efficacy and ubiquity of the CD, its format has had an effect on recorded music. The CD offers more time to the performer and listeners feel deprived if that they don't get a pretty full album, not always to the benefit of the quality of the content. By way of contrast, an LP forced the listener to take a break, roughly half way through, in order to turn the LP over. This could be a bad thing (especially for classical music recordings) but so often I found that break to be beneficial.  After 4 or 5 songs on a new album, it was a chance to take stock before pressing on. And it was a chance for the performer to structure the album, too.

Therefore, while I know it is not exactly the same thing, I somewhat admire Mark for making PRIVATEERING an album of 2 CDs, each roughly 45 minutes long (or LP length). He could have excluded one or two tracks from PRIVATEERING and produced one 80-minute CD.   As it is clear from the bonus CD that he had more material, he could have made each CD a little longer, perhaps 55 to 60 minutes long. But no, he turned out two nicely balanced discs, with a chance to absorb the first before playing the second. Retro Mark. [Re-Mark-able? Mark-nificent?]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:35:42 PM by twm »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
A Mark interview, though the headline is not exactly accurate :

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/mark-knopfler-how-i-fit-bob-dylan-in-around-the-school-run-8142919.html

Mark mixes present and past tenses, so it isn't entirely clear when he is talking about the last tour with Dylan and when the next one. It looks, however, as though the coming tour will be much like the last one, possibly with more Mark in the Dylan set.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »
Nice interview, thanks TWM
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »
On Sunday, John McCusker twittered that he left to go to London to start rehearsals for the MK/BD tour for next three weeks! Now I really wonder:

They did a two months tour last autumn and will probably play the same stuff more or less - don't you find it remarkable that they really need to rehearse for THREE weeks for this? Or should it be a hint for new stuff to be played - now that the album is out?

What do you think? They rehearsed not even two weeks for the Emmylou tour if I remember correctly, and I think that set seemed to be much more complicated because of Emmy's contributions...

LE

New songs, new 'old' songs in sets & Bob duets.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
On Sunday, John McCusker twittered that he left to go to London to start rehearsals for the MK/BD tour for next three weeks! Now I really wonder:

They did a two months tour last autumn and will probably play the same stuff more or less - don't you find it remarkable that they really need to rehearse for THREE weeks for this? Or should it be a hint for new stuff to be played - now that the album is out?

What do you think? They rehearsed not even two weeks for the Emmylou tour if I remember correctly, and I think that set seemed to be much more complicated because of Emmy's contributions...

LE

New songs, new 'old' songs in sets & Bob duets.

^hey shooting star,....who ARE those girls :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2012, 11:02:03 PM »
"We're doing 75 minutes each, then I've got time to get back on and play with Bob for a few songs. We had fun in Europe, the bands get on great and the crews get on great."
75 each this time????

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2012, 02:56:00 AM »
We have finally committed to a holiday in the States in late November, with the aim of getting to two shows. I shall be bitterly disappointed if we don't get to hear new songs from both those old buffers, preferably a batch of new songs each. 

In fact, I'd just love it it if the two of them played nothing but songs from their new albums. Both albums are about the right length. Straight through, in track order. Brilliant - brilliant - brilliant! Both artists making statements - "You may know us from our past achievements but we can still do it and do it really well and we're gonna prove it to you". Seventh heaven for me.  Maybe limit the old stuff to the encores.

I would also love it if various members of the two bands joined one another on stage, not just Mark joining Dylan. That could be quite something.

POSTSCRIPT:  Incidentally, if you haven't yet read the Dylan interview in the new issue of ROLLING STONE, then you're in for some fireworks - no gentle PR soft soap here but some really fierce broadsides berating fans and crtics alike. Plus some of the usual weirdness - only more so than ever! Read the interview and think about those same comments in the light of the new album. Incendiary stuff! Coruscating!

For example - ask why write a song about John Lennon (George Harrison was more of a friend)? And why now? Well, here's an idea. Dylan is really pissed off (please forgive my language) that fans have criticised him for plagiarism, a practice he defends strongly. He rails against fans in this ROLLING STONE interview. Then, years later and angry about fan reactions to his recent material, Dylan recalls that, in October 1979, Mark Chapman sought an autograph from him (there is a photo showing this) and, a little over a year later, Chapman does the same with Lennon, before shooting him. Fans turn on the artist. Fans cannot be trusted. Lenoon's death on his mind, he writes a song. It's what songwriters do. [And one of the earlier songs on TEMPEST quotes "Twist and shout"]

Just a thought!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:35:17 AM by twm »

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:58 AM »
Thanks for the link. 

Wow, I'm impressed Mark gets up to make breakfast for the kids ! I can relate with the routines of taking of kids, except I"m the one making breakfast and taking kids to school. :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:58 AM »
wow, never knew bout the chapman angle...scary man...

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »
Yes with 75 M we have time for new songs and some Greatest Hits from each artist.

I feel "Romeo & Juliet" :)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2012, 04:49:34 PM »
Did anyone heard that rumour about a second Chicago show in a smaller venue?

I received it in some mails from google news but there is not any update in any of the official sites...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »
Did anyone heard that rumour about a second Chicago show in a smaller venue?

I received it in some mails from google news but there is not any update in any of the official sites...

It's been discussed on ER, but I don't think anything has been confirmed.  I presume it is for Bob only!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »
From time to time, Dylan does kick off a tour with a small venue gig, just to warm the band up.

Love Expresso

« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »
Interesting thought indeed that this band really should need to be warmed up... after all those years...  ;)

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
From time to time, Dylan does kick off a tour with a small venue gig, just to warm the band up.

That second Chicago date would be during the NA tour with MK, so I wonder what they need to warm up a band that its already playing gigs

;D ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.