Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering - the reviews  (Read 60392 times)

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
Re: Privateering - the reviews
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2012, 02:09:21 AM »
Nice Review from Seattlepi.

The 1st paragraph below about Willy deVille says a lot about our man.
http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/blogcritics/article/Music-Review-Mark-Knopfler-Privateering-3858173.php#ixzz26aOyEKId

A couple of years ago when a man I admired and respected was dying, I was asked to prepare an article to be published when he died. Basically an obituary, but also an appreciation for a talented man who through fate, bad luck, and his own demons never really received the recognition he deserved. While I was able to supply the nuts and bolts of his career and give my opinion, I knew if I wanted to people notice I'd need to have a quote from a not only a familiar name but one whose opinion would carry some weight. While there was an obvious choice I didn't hold out much hope of hearing back from him as he didn't know me from a hole in the ground. However, to my delight and heartfelt appreciation, it was only about a week after I sent out the email request I heard back from Mark Knopfler.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2012, 02:39:11 AM »
Really enjoyed this one, thanks for sharing Shanrgi La. The last paragraph summarizes Mark's approach and songwriting abilities really well.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2012, 03:43:57 AM »
Fantastic review...this person really LISTENS to Mark. The writer of the RS review just seemed to 'phone it in'..no emotion to it at all.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2012, 03:04:59 AM »
I didn't manage to see the album here in Brasilia stores, and I assume that Privateering was not yet released in Brazil, or at least didn't raise people's attention. But there are a few reviews about the album, mostly on websites, all positive.

Whiplash, for instance (http://whiplash.net/materias/cds/163409-markknopfler.html). It compares MK's voice with Dylan and Cohen, and traces a comparison between the album and Springsteen's Seeger sessions. "A scottish bluesman in love with coutry music", says the review, giving the album 8 out 10.

Diario do Grande ABC newspapper (http://www.dgabc.com.br/News/5979682/knopfler-mistura-ritmos.aspx) mentions I used to could, Got to have something and Dream of the drowned submariner ("delicate"). The reviewer praises MK for his "shining moments and impeccable arrengements"
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »
As someone who is not a DS fan but has liked much of what MK has produced in his solo career, I should warn "regular" AMIT readers that, while the following guy describes PRIVATEERING as "perfect", he is less complimentary about some (only some) of MK's earlier work.

That said, it's a fairly long and, I thought, balanced and considered review:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/blogs/blog-on-the-tracks/7675785/mark-knopfler-back-behind-the-plough

I trust it hasn't been posted here before.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2012, 10:01:47 AM »
Thanks, twm!   Very enjoyable reading!    :)

Did you notice that there was an article on "Tempest" from  Sweetman too?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:38:26 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
I did. He didn't much like TEMPEST and, so far, I have found much in it to enjoy.

In contrast, I agree with him that Dylan has been lauded, regarding recent albums, beyond what the albums themselves deserve.  There are tracks that I really like and there have been live performances of some songs that have really got to me  but the albums simply have not held together - for me. I have probably played the Bootleg Series compilation TELL TALE SIGNS more often than any one of last four studio albums, with the possible exception of TIME OUT OF MIND. And that's a tell tale sign in itself. Also, of the 39 tracks on the 3-CD version of TELL TALE SIGNS, 10 came from the TIME OUT OF MIND sessions, none from "LOVE AND THEFT", and 2 from MODERN TIMES. That's another tell tale sign.

As for professional reviewers, I don't pay too much attention to them - sometimes I think that, in a strange kind of way, they're reviewing the previous album. And you will always find fans who "love" a new album and rave about it, come what may.  These are largely distractions.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2012, 05:08:18 AM »
As someone who is not a DS fan but has liked much of what MK has produced in his solo career, I should warn "regular" AMIT readers that, while the following guy describes PRIVATEERING as "perfect", he is less complimentary about some (only some) of MK's earlier work.

That said, it's a fairly long and, I thought, balanced and considered review:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/blogs/blog-on-the-tracks/7675785/mark-knopfler-back-behind-the-plough

I trust it hasn't been posted here before.

Best review I have read so far. Thanks.

Love Expresso

« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »
Yes, it is a great review. That man has a real urge to tell us how great he thinks Privateering is. Can't agree with everything he writes though, but I like this line a lot:  he's always had the voice of a 60-year-old. Now, at 63, Mark Knopfler finally - utterly, totally - suits his voice.

LE
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:37:53 AM by Love Expresso »

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
His Tempest review is also good. Maybe too hard on uncle Bob (Time Out of Mind surely wasn't his only great album since the 80s), but a very welcome break from all the ridiculous 5/5 and 10/10 reviews.

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »
Great review in Russian http://izvestia.ru/news/535826

Do not have any time to translate, please use a Google service

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2012, 05:49:40 PM »
A very positive review from the sunny Bay of Plenty in New Zealand... ;D

http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/news/album-review-mark-knopfler-privateering/1553488/

Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinepanzerdriver

• Guitar George
  • Tell me how we're gonna do what's best....
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
"A hen can lay a golden egg, but she still can't sing."

I was listening to PRIVATEERING while at work with my headphones on. I'm sure the rest of the room thought I had gone bonkers when I erupted into laughter when I heard that. I just laughed and laughed!  He can write a better song than anybody I ever heard. Who would think of that line to open a song?  :lol
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:16:42 AM by panzerdriver »
A hen can lay a golden egg, but she still can't sing.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
"A hen can lay a golden egg, but she still can't sing."

I was listening to PRIVATEERING while at work with my headphones on. I'm sure the rest of the room thought I had gone bonkers when I erupted into laughter when I heard that. I just laughed and laughed!  He can write a better song than anybody I ever heard. Who would think of that line to open a song?  :lol

Funny you mentioned this.  I didn't laugh out loud, but thought what a funny song. I told my little boy that this is the song for him.  We recently got him 4 chickens, he's waiting every day for them to lay eggs. (golden???) For sure they can't sing except making noises that are far from pretty. :D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 40 queries.