Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "Division bell" poll : Privateering Super Deluxe Edition  (Read 24103 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: "Division bell" poll : Privateering Super Deluxe Edition
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »
for me knopfler was always better then clapton, close call, but my numero uno has always been da knopf...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
I have Clapton's Nothing But The Blues on DVD (ahem....).

MK has never played better live or on record than Clapton did on the From the Cradle album and tour. He was on fire in the mid 90's.
^clapton was a shadow imho of the way he played in the 70ies, despite his alc. and drug issues. love the 74 US summer tour. or the 81 tour that leads to the just one night album (setting me up anyone??)

My nitpicker side is speakeing : JON was recorded in december 1979 and released in 1980.

Despite being in his heavy alcoohol period, despite not with the best backing band, it does feature a rendition of "Double Trouble" that remains unsurpassed to date.

1981 is the tour that saw Eric collapse and be rushed to St.Paul's United Hospital, cancelling most of the Another Ticket U.S.A. Tour.
After this it featured his first attempt to alcoohol redemption.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »
i still get goosebumps and tears in my eyes i have to admit when i see dave and roger bumping into each other at Bray studios where both rehearsed for there 2006 tours, it is on the extra'S of either remember that night or gdansk dvd's
i got into the floyd through a delicate sound of thunder (as rogerless as it gets) so i am more into the dry floyd (no waters...) then most hardcore fans, and i can say without having to duck and run that i cannot listen to anything up to meddle (love that one) i mean, saucerful of secrets anyone?
and animals is my favourite "real floyd" album.
also, i personally do not care that this is a mixture of floyd and knopfler, happen to love both.

I personally love SoS (Not Sultans of Swing here, but Saucerful of Secrets :) ). it is a very special album... the first one by the "classic" line-up after Syd lost it. And the result is very promising:
- The title track is the very first progressive piece by Floyd. The whole "song" is pretty tough to hear (my wife screamed at me that I was listening to psychotic noise) but the last piece, "Celestial voices", is very touching... Look at the Pompeii version, they are so young and so fresh singing this... :)
- Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun is the very first success by Roger... it is a great song IHMO, both Pompeii and In the Flesh versions are beautiful, each in its own way...

Of course the record is not on par with "Meddle" which is a real masterpiece, but still, the basics of classic Flyod started to shown and shine in SOS....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
true, celestial voices is a masterpiece..

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »

i rest my case.
only start watchign if you have 22min to spare, but boy what you get in return...
the really awesome part starts around 12:20 but do watch the whole thing...volume on 13...!!! with headphones and a BIIIIIIIGGG screen...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
oh man, that reocurring guitar riff....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »
Witnessed at the Vienne Antique Theatre and that night I was blown away. Best version I heard so far.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »
souldn't we split this thread in  3 : MK, EC, PF ?  ;D

I agree with all said :

EC is god, but more in the 70ies than in the 80ies, (I like journeyman and live'85 very much though), double trouble from JON is a gem, Meddle and SOS (both  ;)) are masterpieces (but saucerful is not really the 1st with classic line up, it features Syd on it  ;)), animals is also my favorite floyd Animals (WYWH comes very near), and about Mayall bluesbreakers, I would add Mick Taylor wihc in term of melody is far better than EC , while EC is more blues-improvistaion style IMHO, and thanks DS1984 for  EC/Scorcese video (BTW the Dylan's one is also a awesome), thanks Pottel for Echoes, but the best part is ALL the song  :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »
I Also really like the ec and friends boot from the mid eighties, I believe from montreu. With otis rush and stuff, that IMHO is the best double trouble....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »
My first PF album was Saucerful of Secrets, and I enjoyed listening to them separate influences and unique compositions by Rick Wright and Roger. Even the last Syd song is great. And I'm wondering who can be writing this song?
Pompeii was the first video I saw by PF and it was a revelation. But even then I could not stand the first three parts of SoS.

But See-saw and Remember a day must be the most dreamy songs in PF catalog. Plus the Summer of 68 from the very experimental, but really nice,  Atom heart mother.
I have been thinking why I believe that Animals is my favourite PF album, when it is the one that I have played less than the other 3 mega sellers of the 70ies, until I realized that the answer lies in the question.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
Pink Floyd? Who are they?

I think this drifting a bit off topic ... so back to the super deluxe set. I bought it, yes, and I think it's well wort it. For 80 Swiss Francs, I got almost four albums (Privateering 1 and 2, the three bonus tracks and a fantastically recorded concert). Listening to Privateering on vinyl I strongly recommend, it sound fabulous. And the art work is just gorgeous this time - I can't stop looking at the rusty album sleeves ...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.