Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering after about a month  (Read 27768 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Privateering after about a month
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »
Still listening (and playing guitar) to the whole album! and both extra discs too!!
Just can't stop listening to this wonderful album. I have done a single disc version for our car ommiting:
 'Don't forget your hat' 'Hot or what' & 'Radio city Serenade' as not 100 % fussed for them.
The Album comes a very close second to 'Get Lucky' for me......
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »

here it is. bad sound from the device, but wow, what a live version of "yon two crows", as expected with a great solo at the end.
great drums, great guitar. welcome back dire straits hahahahaha

Offlinezeusjazmin

• Guitar George
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »
first of all i dislike all the blues songs,some people will love them,its all down to personal preferance.
the rest of the album now,yon two crows and privateering i think are great songs,haul away and seattle are good,as for the rest of the songs i feel they are really weak.
it will never stop me buying all future albums,but this time round the album just doesnt do it for me.

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »

here it is. bad sound from the device, but wow, what a live version of "yon two crows", as expected with a great solo at the end.
I can't understand why he didn't record the song with a great end solo like this one. :'(

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »

I can't understand why he didn't record the song with a great end solo like this one. :'(

...because he would never be able to live up to it live?  I agree though;  on the album this would be the guitar it is missing.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »
Yes, the sound is, er, dire, but you can hear enough to know that he CAN still pull off a great guitar solo. It's not the first time that an album track has missed the guitar solo at the end that it really needs. Ah, whatever happened to Silvertown Blues, perhaps the best song of the solo era he won't play live.

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »
i think, MK loves to put 2 versions of a song into the world. and sometimes the album version feels like a teaser for that coming live.
live, he "must" play guitar, he cant

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »
i think, MK loves to put 2 versions of a song into the world. and sometimes the album version feels like a teaser for that coming live.
live, he "must" play guitar, he cant
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMark Heritage

• Guitar George
    • Mark's Musings
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »
I'm loving the album still. I'm listening to it right now actually, and play it in the car often. I think it's his best solo album, and that's saying something considering it's his 7th. Get Lucky was good too; it needed to be after Kill to Get Crimson, which I never got into. Wasn't overly impressed with Shangri-La either, so these last two albums reinstalled my faith... Looking forward to the Guitar Stories on Sky Arts on Tuesday.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
I'm loving the album still. I'm listening to it right now actually, and play it in the car often. I think it's his best solo album, and that's saying something considering it's his 7th. Get Lucky was good too; it needed to be after Kill to Get Crimson, which I never got into. Wasn't overly impressed with Shangri-La either, so these last two albums reinstalled my faith... Looking forward to the Guitar Stories on Sky Arts on Tuesday.
may wanna change <your nick then :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
Quote Jbaent: "But when rehearsing live, they start from a recorded song, and the goal is how to translate that song to the stage, in front of a lot of people,and whats possible to add here and there to make the songs suit the stage. Here is when the songs get a new life."

That is well said Jbaent!  I didn't like for example Marbletown; Speedway at Nazareth and Telegraph Road, but when I heard those songs during the last concerts I was blown away! They sounded wonderful the way they were played live!  :clap

Btw Get Lucky I hope you or other UK fans are able to record Guitar stories and upload them at YouTube!  ;D

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
Fieneke
You didn't like Telegraph Road? I'm sure you were a member of the forum with that name many years ago! But it's such an archetypal DS song, marvellous control over tempo and dynamics, and a great MK guitar solo. Admittedly (like almost everyone else here) I'd rather he alternated playing it with Tunnel of Love. But you can't have everything!

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
Hi,

I still listen to the new album every day. I think it's a wonderful album, maybe the third best after GH and STP. STP is still the best solo album made by Mark. Now there is ten songs that I hear all the time, and ten songs that I rarely listen to. My little collection is here.

Disc 1 :

Redbud Tree
Haul Away
Privateering
Corned Beef City
Go,Love
Yon Two Crows

Disc 2 :

Blue Bird
Dream Of The Drowned Submariner
Blood And Water
Today Is Okay

I really like the bonus tracks. Occupation Blues and Follow The Ribbon should have been on the album  :o
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »

I really like the bonus tracks. Occupation Blues and Follow The Ribbon should have been on the album  :o

And Your Perfect Song!
It's small, sweat, lovely and great

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
Like vine. Even better as time pass  :thumbsup

Maybe three skippers from time to time Don't Forget Your Hat, Miss Your Blues, After The Beanstalk and Grog from bonuses. But for the most cases, i just like to play whole album. With many favorites. The "problem" i got with Privateering (song) and Red Bud Tree, is that full length pre-release and i did "over listen those"  :smack so now i have trouble to put them in favorites even thou songs are great :) Luckily for Seattle, it was released short enough to be over listen  ;)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:45:27 PM by MisterYES »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 38 queries.