Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #07:2012.10.13 Seattle, WA - Key Arena, USA # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 30637 times)

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
Re: #07:2012.10.13 Seattle, WA - Key Arena, USA # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 05:03:15 AM »
Mark blew everyone out of the water in Seattle :)

Guy was smiling away. Very good rapport with the band :)

Amazing night :)

Might comment more later.

OfflineJeroen

• Guitar George
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 06:21:15 AM »
I've seen two fantastic shows (Vancouver and Seattle). The band is better than I've ever seen before. They're all having a great time and they totally blow away Bob Dylan (I left early twice). Unfortunately there has been a strict no-camera policy which is strongly enforced by security, so I haven't been able to take any pictures. It's a real treat to listen to so many songs from the new album, live they sound even better than on the album. Yon Two Crows is one of the best live songs I've ever heard (with the Seattle version way better than the Vancouver one because of Mark's powerful solo), this song definitely has the proper ending that is missing on the album. Privateering, Corned Beef City, Haul Away, I Used To Could, Miss You Blues and Redbud Tree are all amazing live songs. The arrangement of Daddy's Gone To Knoxville is hilarious (starring Ian on the washboard) with some mind-blowing pedal steel guitar by Richard. And they've taken Marbletown to an even higher level, which is very well received with a standing ovation each night. I'm so looking forward to the next eight shows (until Los Angeles) that I'm going to attend!

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »
As much as I'm looking forward to hearing that live version of YTC, I don't think he should have recorded it this way for the album. It's probably the version they recorded earlier on, before Mark decided to go back and change it radically, as I remember Guy reporting. Well, I think the album version they went with is perfect for the album, and the live version will be perfect for concerts. Listening to an album is a much more intimate thing than listening to a band live, in a crowd. I guess Mark tries to do this justice.

And  re: Bob and people being horrified: Sorry, but I think they're idiots. Not necessarily because they don't like his sound (that's perfectly fine, to each his own), but because they are stupid enough to expect what they know from their Freewheelin' and Blood on the Tracks records. I mean, come one, before you spend such an amount of money on a concert, go to YouTube and have an earful. To go and then say "ah, how can he destroy his songs in such a way, and his voice, his voice, how horrible is that!" - we'll, that's just stupid. I don't want to defend Bob, and he does have something to answer for, but everybody who wants to know knows exactly how he sounds these days.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:32:04 AM by Rail King »

Love Expresso

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
Hey, Fletch,
(and Jeroen and shootingstars, too)

thanks for review! These were the first "first hand" reviews we heard apart from some journalistic crap... and I for my part would love to hear more!
About every little detail - in fact we don't know THAT much already....  :wave

Great to hear that you all seemed to have a great time!

LE

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »
Hi LE, I assumed you'd all have listened to tapers by now? I haven't had chance to catch the multiple threads since I've been away.
Glad jaroen and shootingstar enjoyed as much as I did. :)

It was my first time seeing Mark - and as I am well acquainted with the Euro bob tour boots, there was no 'surprise ' factor except for the new album songs. When he sang YTC, that's when I got excited!
The sound was great (I was at the side/front) and Mark was in fine voice. I had a little sing along to the "..make a living in sheep.." probably much to the amusement of the folk around me!
Guitar wise, I felt MK let go occasionally, and as I said maybe enough to make a mistake (?) in HFB. I thought I heard a dud note in he middle of a run - which is unusual because normally a dud note would be more likely at the start of a phrase, or the end. Once fingers know where they are on the fretboard it's less likely to mess up, but mark was wailing and I appreciate that! :)
The guitars sounded great, the band is superb (even Guy), I now know why u lot go see multiple shows whenever u can!!
The Daddy Knoxeville thing was funny, even with a washboard solo! Got a big clap from the arena.
What amazed me was the whole crowd loved mark, I expected some heckling, after hearing the negative comments on ER from the last tour (up till today I've isolated myself from AMIT/ER so i could enjoy an unbiased concert).
When mark picked up a Gibson a fiddled before a song (sonny?hfb?) I heard someone shout out " I want my MTV" everyone laughed!
Lots of love for Mark where I was sitting and it seemed like quite a few people had come mainly because of him. I say that because once someone heard my accent and got my story .."..I'm hear to see Mark but Bob is a bonus.." I got a thumbs up from the American I was talking too! Plus all the little bits of chatter I heard, even a discussion at one point about the 'guts' to not play hits. Etc.
I heard NO disrespectful comments about MK - and then I was amazed at the negativity when bob started. Almost instantly there was a vibe of 'shock' in the crowd by the end of the first song. As someone has said, It's funny people don't know what to expect but having just released tempest to (IMO justified) rave reviews, maybe a lot of people expected that? Bobs live voice is no where near as enunciated as on Tempest. There was a little bit of love when the crowd understood Things have Changed.... Love the band!
Bye for now, hope the rest of the tour is great for fellow AMIT - I have Sacra tickets, but have been sidetracked by a family road trip, so will miss it. Who'd have thought he USA was so big? :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »
Fletch, Thanks for your personal straightfprward reviews.  Like LE mentioned, it's good to have first hand opinions from fellow Amits.

It's too bad that you won't be able to make it to Sacramento.  I'll be there.

USA is huge. There is sooooo much to see. The Westcoast has so many beautiful breathtaking coastlines to explore.  Hope you get to do some of that.  Enjoy your stay.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
No worries, it's great to share my feelings - my family just don't understand! :)

I should add, there was defo a hardcore bunch on the floor that rocked out to Bob the whole night, and thoroughly enjoyed themselves ! Go the moshpit! lol, I was a little to the left of stage = stunned audience for Bob.
His new album is great, don't let concert reviews suggest Bob has nothing left, he does.
Shame he's turned into a "jazz" pianist... So many discordant notes, and occasionally some ok blues playing.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »
Grrrrr, another so far away video :( we want yon two crows! :smack ;)

Yon two crows Vancouver:-  

Sound quality is crap but it sounds brilliant!  :clap :clap
Mk lets go on a great outro!!!!

OMG! That sounds just amazing... Can't wait for some better recordings of what is clearly another epic song... WOW
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »
No Redbud Tree!?  :o (first time)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 06:26:56 PM »
MK can be 1000 times stranger than Bob.

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »

+1
Proven

Love Expresso

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »
Thanks for the review, nice to get some response so promptly!   :thumbsup Fletch, if you think that there a lot of taped shows out there in the meantime, you probably will be surprised... however, I have not seen or heard anything apart from these clips, SFA, WII and above all YTC...

Jeroen has already seen a lot of shows, so his judgement means a lot me thinks.

Shootingstar, looking forward your review, too!

It has happened now again. I must admit the tour left me cold until yesterday, but since I saw the YTC clip and read these impressions from you fellow amiters, I am about to think of some more shows next year...

LE

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »

+1
Proven

;D ;D ;D

...and a huge thank yooohoooo to (our) Fletch for your review. I'm very happy to hear that they are having a ball up there (Dr.-Fletch-speak).
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »
Winnipeg bob and mark by the great taper called soomlos are out there!!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
Shooting star, I was surprised to like bob's Winnipeg performance (mainly his part, and as usual) far less interesting and coherent then last year's performances, why did you think?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 42 queries.