Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bob's behaviour towards MK  (Read 39438 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Bob's behaviour towards MK
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »
I would indeed think that a tour only makes sense if the artist has something to promote.
LE

I don't care about that Bob behaviour dispute but I would state that I disagree with your sentence. Touring is touring, Chuck Berry hasn't issued any album for too long that I can remember and he is still touring.

The promotion thing is only something that happened when record company power over an artist improved, when touring was not profitable enough and that record companies did use them to promote the album by sponsoring the difficult places.

But now, in Mark's case the album is just a pretext. He does not need to have abn album just out. He's touring 6 month after only.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
twm, OK, I meant that one!

Some years ago, I read this fine book by the late Christopher Small: Music,society,education. I think that everybody should read this book, it is great food for thought even if you don't agree and widens your horizons. From his perspective (and I was convinced) performing live is what music is all about. It is the only "real" music experience. Of course I am only paraphrasing and you have to read the book to see what he really means and how he gets to such a conclusion. His views on recorded music are quite radical as well.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »
vgonis, the last e-mail I got from you was dated 22 October. Is that the one?

I am quite disturbed, herlock, by your penultimate question.  The idea underlying that question is that a performer should only tour when he or she has a product to sell. Well, I disagree profoundly.  Selling an album or whatever may be a bi-product of playing concerts but it should not be the main purpose.

Your principal complaint seems to be that Mark is the support act. I think I've really answered this before. It is Bob's tour and it is highly likely that he would be touring now whether Mark was involved or not.  That does not mean that I wish Mark was not touring with Bob. It does mean that, had the two of them not been touring together now, mrs twm and I would have planned a different trip to the States. If Mark had turned Dylan's touring offer down, I'm sure someone else would have been happy to take that support role.

As to splitting the cost of venues, I simply do not know. If it were a joint, double-header, tour, then I would imagine that would be the case. I don't know the position with a supporting arrangement. I suppose it is possible that the nominated headliner bears the whole cost and financial risk but takes all the profit, paying the opening act a set fee, but I doubt it somehow.  This is all speculation, though.

Why tour together? I guess Dylan wanted an opening act, approached Knopfler and the latter accepted. End of story (in terms of the question). Beginning of the story in other ways (and for Dylan and Knopfler watchers across the world).

I did not say nor meant exactly that there should be something to promote for an artist to make a tour.
I've said that their should be something in common (be it an album, sharing a stage together, or at least some form of synergy / friendship) for two artists to tour together. Otherwise, what is the point ?? You can take it as two completely separated concerts. Only difference, quality goes down, because 1) the set of each artist is shorter and 2)fans of the so-called "main act" can be not so interested in the so-called "supporting act" (which of course is their right), but also display some disrespectful behaviour (arriving late, shouting, mocking, etc..), which is what I experienced last year.
So, if it is not about splitting costs, what is this about ? why not just make a full Privateering tour ?
Anyway... I seem to care a lot about this but actually I don't. I enjoy Mark's music, that all that matters :)
Cheers

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2012, 12:43:51 AM »
MK can only be involved because he idolises BD. Its not financial, profile raising or album sales. Which for a fan of MK and not BD is a shame, as you get less MK and a bigger ticket price.  I am sure it is just self indulgence for MK.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2012, 12:46:26 AM »
Just noticed that surferboy who started this topic, has left the building...

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2012, 12:50:54 AM »
something we said....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2012, 01:25:28 AM »
OK, herlock. Let's just agree it's out of friendship and mutual respect. Possibly, it was also convenient for both or timely in some way. It happened. They're touring together again and maybe some general music fans will regard it as an opportunity to see both together, perhaps for less than seeing the two separately.

Me, I'm very happy to see them both on the same bill and to see them  both more than once on the same tour.  For many fans of one or the other, however, such as yourself, this is a less happy combination. Fans on both sides of this apparent fence have been less than respectful,I suspect, which is a shame.

There is a general problem with opening acts if you're a fan of the main act and not the opening act and particulalrly if you are attending several shows on a tour. I can recall seeing Dylan at the Hammersmith Odeon for some, I think it was, six consecutive nights with Roddy Frame (of Aztec Camera) as the opening act. Now, there was nothing wrong with Roddy Frame but I had no real link with him or his music. I guess I saw him only once or twice that week - which probably was disrespectful.

On the other hand, I have also gone to shows principally for the support act.

And I certainly agree that some of the best musical experiences that I've had have been at live shows.  It's not just the music, which may or may not be the best in absolute terms, but the atmosphere, the ambience and the company.  At one point during a Thelonious Momk concert in London, it was just him and me - there was nobody else in the room. And the Tubby Hayes Big Band in the back room of the Bulls Head in Barnes was just physically stunning. Dylan in four shows over two nights at the relatively small Supper Club in New York - a wonderful experience. I could go on but won't.

As for why it's not just a PRIVATEERING tour by Mark, you'll have to ask him.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »
There is a general problem with opening acts if you're a fan of the main act and not the opening act and particulalrly if you are attending several shows on a tour.

I remember back in 92, that listening to Was not Was set + the interlude before DS came in was the longest time in my life !

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2012, 09:06:56 AM »
No more complaints pleas. They finally played together. Maybe they read this thread.  ;D

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
There is a general problem with opening acts if you're a fan of the main act and not the opening act and particulalrly if you are attending several shows on a tour.

I remember back in 92, that listening to Was not Was set + the interlude before DS came in was the longest time in my life !
Agreed :) Was not was left me super cold. But I hope your are not implying that MK is to BD what "was not was" used to be for DS !

I fully respect that established artists/groups would help the younger generation with a support act. No question.

The issue is more that using "support act" for MK is kind of insulting to me. MK is not exactly a young artist trying to prove himself !

Anyway, they played together, so forget about what I said.... maybe don't forget what Guy said on his forum, though.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2012, 09:50:21 AM »
It may very well be that we all overstated/misinterpreted Bob's "behaviour" on this tour. I certainly did, and many Dylan fans did. His supposed hostility to fans, to his band, to Mark - there's probably nothing to it at all. So relieved to see them play together in San Diego, and to realize this!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »
I happened to listen to the BBC World Service this morning and they had a brief interview with President Obama's half-brother, who now lives in China. At one point, he quoted a Chinese proverb which, roughly translated, goes: Let others say what others say but keep to your own path. That seemed apposite in the context of this thread.

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2012, 02:32:55 PM »
Lets now start a conversation speculating on Guy's behaviour toward Bob :)

I don't believe Guy has once invited Bob up for a nice cuppa, he also never makes eye contact at the gym.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »
Lets now start a conversation speculating on Guy's behaviour toward Bob :)

I don't believe Guy has once invited Bob up for a nice cuppa, he also never makes eye contact at the gym.

According Guy, he didnt see Krusty yet...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
As Guy is only a hired musician among others, it is irrelevant how his behaviour towards Bob is...

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.