Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #14:2012.10.24 San Diego, CA - Valley View Center, USA # SPOILER AHEAD  (Read 22786 times)

Offlinesilentguy

• Camerado
Re: #14:2012.10.24 San Diego, CA - Valley View Center, USA # SPOILER AHEAD
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 02:01:40 AM »

The reader's comment down below cracked me up... He blames the sound engineer for Dylan's indecipherable vocals LOL

Yeah, he must have had bad sound engineer in Vancouver and Seattle too.
At first that's what I thought too, but it was strangely only coming from Dylan's mic....
They need to fire the guy responsible for setting up that mic....   :)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »
I don't listen much to tour recordings these days, especially those from shows I haven't attended. There has to be something quite unusual about a show for me, so I haven't heard "Summer Days" but the "boogie wooggie" description makes it seem similar to previous outings of the song - in which case, Mark should definitely not hold back in any way.  It is an opportunity for some of his fast finger work and, IMO, Bob will respond to this, maybe squeezing a bit more out of a harmonica solo or some such. Dylan likes the spontaneity of the moment and Mark could seize that moment. I suspect, given his penchant for extensive rehearsal, he's just being careful and easing himself back in.

And, sweet surrender, don't blame Mark for not appearing with Bob at the shows you attended. I don't doubt that it's been Bob's decision. I can't imagine that Mark, if he had been asked before, would suddenly pop up in San Diego and say, "I'd like to play on Summer Days tonight, Bob. OK?". My own reading is that the two bands have been leapfrogging one another around the cities and venues for a few weeks but are now settled in Santa Monica for a few days, close to Dylan's home (well, one of them and a place where has a home studio) and in a town with lots of musical facilities (his latest album, TEMPEST, was recorded there) and a lot of music luminaries and friends around. An ideal place for a bit of minor grandstanding. We shall see.

Oh, and I don't buy that "it's the sound engineer's fault" nonsense.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:17:49 AM by twm »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
I hope that any video would be uploaded to youtube in any moment, I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »
So, 14 shows into the tour and Dylan, singing 15 songs a night, has performed 43 different songs so far, only 8 of which have been done at every show. Mark?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
So, 14 shows into the tour and Dylan, singing 15 songs a night, has performed 43 different songs so far, only 8 of which have been done at every show. Mark?

For MK - 14 shows, 11 songs a night and performing 18 different songs, 7 of which played at every show and 8 of which are from the new album, which mean much more to me than all of the songs BD has performed.  However, quality is more important to me than quantity!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:25:23 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
Never knew it was a competition!  We all know how they go about their respective shows by now and Krusty has been touring now for quite a while so one would think has had time to rehearse and/or play other tunes on the road.

On the other hand, as Val pointed out the new songs have been heavily singled out by Mark (too much so IMO) and Marks set is smaller too.  A comparison isn't really appropriate, I don't think. :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »
I hope that any video would be uploaded to youtube in any moment, I

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »
Maybe MK playing together with Bob was the result of a bet!

BOB:I bet you they won't notice it on AMIT that we don't play together. If they do and the posts are over 60 you will play a song with me. If they keep writing about it afterwards you will perform one song for every 30 new posts.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »
Maybe MK playing together with Bob was the result of a bet!

BOB:I bet you they won't notice it on AMIT that we don't play together. If they do and the posts are over 60 you will play a song with me. If they keep writing about it afterwards you will perform one song for every 30 new posts.

Well, I'll bet their curiosity has got the better of them at some point - and since this is the biggest and best MK forum on the 'net - so surely some band members look in from time to time.  We've had Jack Sonni honour us with contributions...

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »
Yes, but we must use more key words so that they would find it for sure, when google them.  ;D
May I suggest all new title tracks, SOS but written in full and so on.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
My question was never intended as a dig at Mark, merely an enquiry. I saw  Bob's stats on an e-mail I got this mornning and wondered. I didn't know and thought it quicker to ask than to trail through the set lists working it out. Just curious, that's all. If I had had a point to make, it would have been to reinforce my previously stated comment that the two of them go about their work in different ways. No more, no less.

That some of you regard my question as a challenge is interesting in itself. Competition? Definitely not - well, maybe for you but not on my part, for sure. I would have thought that pretty obvious from my previous posts about how I regard the two of them. Two performers - I was going to say journeymen but that might be seen as belittling their achievements - who approach their live work differently, which makes their joint tours fascinating for me. I pretty much know what I will get from seeing Mark this year but am less sure about how I'll react to Bob.  People who saw Dylan earlier this year (people who have seen him many times and whose judgement I trust) were impressed but it's is less clear-cut on this current outing. We shall see.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
twm, if you refer to my posts as well, (and from what I have read here, most of the replies by our fellow AMITers) we were joking. From my part, I couldn't care less for such things. Maybe my effort to use humour is not very successful. Brits must be the best ones to judge.  ;D
But for future reference, when in doubt consider that I am joking. When I don't, it is easy to tell apart.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
My reply was only lighthearted, hence the exclamation mark and smiley.  As it happens I am not a fan of Marks current set at all and think he plays too many new songs!  However, I did misinterpret your post as I thought you were wanting to compare the two in terms of set list changes.  If only we could see facial expressions and tone of voice in a post!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 01:28:09 PM »
You really don't want to see my face, believe me. As for tone of voice, it was pretty straight.

Humour - "The hotel minibar is a wonderful invention. It tells you the future. You know what the price of a can of Pepsi will be in 2020" - low-keyed, wry and with a slight edge.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.