Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #15:2012.10.26 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl, USA # SPOILER AHEAD  (Read 12429 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
C#15  Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl, USA

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=137

http://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72714

AMIT attendees:
shaftesburyseamus

Setlist
Different from previous show in RED

Mark Knopfler

What It Is
Corned Beef City
Privateering
Kindom Of Gold
I Used To Could
Song For Sonny Liston
Done With Bonaparte
Hill Farmer Blues
Haul Away
Marbletown
So Far Again

Bob Dylan

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
To Ramona (on piano)
Things Have Changed
Tangled Up In Blue
The Levee's Gonna Break
Make You Feel My Love
Cry A While
Desolation Row
Highway 61 Revisited
Love Sick
Thunder On The Mountain
Ballad Of A Thin Man
Like A Rolling Stone
All Along The Watchtower
Blowing In The Wind

* Mark Knopfler is not mentioned in the ER reports, so we assume he didnt play at this show.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:33:30 AM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
Re: #15:2012.10.26 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl, USA # SPOILER AHEAD
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »
pottel

where are you with the setlist ?????  Don't make us wait sooo long !!! sooo badddd !!! :lol

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »
Wii
CBC
Priv.
Kog, in which mark forgot to sing the second verse, hence shortening it.
Iutc
Sfsl
Dwb
Hfb
Haul away
Marble
Sfa
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
Blimey, that song is so uninteresting to me that I would have never noticed if there is a verse missing or not...  ;D Although the new ending makes it a rather good MK song...

The set list seems pretty fixed now? Rarely changes in the last view shows.

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »
Blimey, that song is so uninteresting to me that I would have never noticed if there is a verse missing or not...  ;D Although the new ending makes it a rather good MK song...

LE

I love KoG actually... a bit repetitive, but reminiscent of "Iron Hand" which I really miss... and the end solo is reminiscent of the golden age, too :)

Yes the setlist is pretty fixed... You either get YTC or KOG, just like you used to get TR or TOL...

Am I the only one to miss Redbud Tree ? I really like it but it seems like it was an experiment that has been dropped, just like Remembrance Day in 2010... :(

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »
Can't judge it really as I have not heard it "really" live (and that's important as I learned a few weeks ago), but for me, after listening to some recordings, Redbud Tree didn't work live especially well.

There are many songs from Mark's catalogue that are brilliant on the record, because of brilliant recording process (A Place Where We Used To Live for example), or great inspiration and atmosphere, but were not nailed exactly the same live on stage. The great thing about RT is the sheer shining brilliance of the solo and the very punchy and touching way Mark's vocals sound on the album version - if he doesn't get the solo played that great, and to be honest, with a pretty bad, short-winded and powerless singing voice this part of the previous tour so far, it might be better to drop it.
You could say this about any other song from the set but as RT is that spartanic and simple, the voice is much more in the foreground.

Was puzzled after listening to the first audience recordings to be honest because Mark's singing is by far not as good as last year.

I found his singing MUCH better last year, in fact I was deeply impressed by his vocals on Privateering and Haul Away from 2011, but all I heard until now is below his usual standard. In my opinion. (Oh, no offence meant, yes, I am still a fan and no I will not sell my ticket...)

LE

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
Am I the only one to miss Redbud Tree ? I really like it but it seems like it was an experiment that has been dropped, just like Remembrance Day in 2010... :(
I miss it too, and contrary to LE's opinion, I think this one sounded really well live. The vocal lines are not very demanding in this song, it's more about the expression and emotion than precision of singing that counts here. I also loved the way he tried to play solo a bit different than on the album version. It was a sheer beauty and I actually had shivers listening to some versions (Saskatoon was great for example). I should add that Ian Thomas drumming was awesome on this track with this base drum kicking in in the chorus. Yes, I miss this one and I hope it will be back.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinestefankock

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »

LE

I love KoG actually... a bit repetitive, but reminiscent of "Iron Hand" which I really miss... and the end solo is reminiscent of the golden age, too :)

Yes the setlist is pretty fixed... You either get YTC or KOG, just like you used to get TR or TOL...

I really like Redbud Tree too !

It's common knowledge, unfortunately, that Mark plays songs during the early stages of a tour and then drops them. There's always hope of them returning during a next tour (Daddy's Gone To Knoxville ~ dropped in 2008 / Cleaning My Gun ~ dropped in 2010 / Corned Beef City ~ dropped in 2011).

Other songs were dropped from the setlist to (till this moment) never return (Are We In Trouble Now (not counting any NHB concerts) ~ dropped in 1996 / Gravy Train ~ dropped in 1996 / El Macho ~ dropped in 2001 / Trawlerman's Song ~ dropped in 2005 / Back To Tupelo ~ dropped in 2005 / Postcards From Paraguy ~ dropped in 2008) / Rememberance Day ~ dropped in 2010)

And there are the songs which are played during all/most/much concerts during a tour to disapear when the next tour starts only to return again years later (Cannibals ~ 2008 / A Night In Summer Long Ago ~ 2010 and still being ocasionally played / Prairie Wedding ~ 2010).

Looking at the above there is a slight chance Redbud Tree will find it's place (being it always sung or ocassionally) in the 2013 tour setlist. Personally I hope it does !

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
I liked Redbud Tree from Saskatoon too and I hope it returns, but I LOVED Kingdom of Gold from SF - it gave me huge goosebumps!    :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:01:26 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
Will give it another try.   :) The song itself is one of the best on the album. Loved it from the very first listen early July...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
I'm not missing RT at all.  I think they maybe dropped it because there's nothing they can find more to add in it musically.  Every version sounded much the same and they all sounded pretty much identical to the album version.  It was a pointless exercise.

Regarding KOG:  at least he got right down to the good part and cut out all that baloney again!  The solo reminds me of that Mark played in Vic and Ray on the GH tour.

Regarding vocals:  I don't think they're bad, just weak sounding.  Maybe it's the mix or the recordings but try the Berkeley one (can't remember which version) but he sounds a bit stronger there.  I agree on Privateering he does sound strained though.  More effort into it Mark!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 02:42:48 AM »
Another song that was played in 2001 (before 9/11) but never to return since that tragic day is Pyro Man. :(

Love Expresso

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »
Hmm. Never connected the "death" of Pyroman with 9/11.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »
Another song that was played in 2001 (before 9/11) but never to return since that tragic day is Pyro Man. :(

As "El Macho", "Junkie Doll" or "Who
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
Fantastic version! CBC might be one of the better ones ever!!  :thumbsup

And check out the reactions of Ianto's freestyling intro!  ;D

edit: there are a couple of more vids from the same night, sound's like a superb show
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 44 queries.