Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #17:2012.10.29 Broomfield, CO - 1st Bank Center, USA # SPOILER AHEAD  (Read 31663 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: #17:2012.10.29 Broomfield, CO - 1st Bank Center, USA # SPOILER AHEAD
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
According to ER, Mark played on song #5 "The Levee's Gonna Break"!    Very appropriate!

is it the one by Memphis Minnie, covered by Led Zep ?

Et tu Brutus?

Yes I have said so in previous posts, but if your name is Dylan, the copyright has expired and add some new lyrics then you can claim it your own. Led Zep were much earlier. And they actually credit "Minnie" as well for this number! And it sounds pretty darn different.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »
A run of topical songs at this show, perhaps:

5. The Levee's Gonna Break (with Mark Knopfler on guitar) 
6. Shelter From The Storm
7. High Water (For Charley Patton)
8. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

Clever!  I want INR, on a positive note.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 11:59:13 AM »
According to ER, Mark played on song #5 "The Levee's Gonna Break"!    Very appropriate!

Et tu Brutus?

Yes I have said so in previous posts, but if your name is Dylan, the copyright has expired and add some new lyrics then you can claim it your own. Led Zep were much earlier. And they actually credit "Minnie" as well for this number! And it sounds pretty darn different.

Well, you learn something new every day, as they say!    Of course, it is stated on Modern Times (at least the one I have) as "all songs written by Bob Dylan, but I hadn't actually looked into this particular song, because I hadn't heard the original, unlike the rest of songs on MT which I recognised from elsewhere - I should have dug a bit deeper! 

I just listened to the Memphis Minnie version and it sounds wonderful - on Dylan's version it is easy to detect from where it originated, unlike the Led Zep version, which is completely removed from the original!   The Led Zep version is great and full marks to them for crediting "Minnie" - it's a pity Dylan doesn't do the same when he "borrows" from other songwriters. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »

It is unbelievable how many Led Zep girl tribute groups there are! This one gives a magnificent performance and look at the credits: written by Minnie and Mc Coy, based on the Led Zed version. Bravo x2 girls!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »

Et tu Brutus?

Well, you learn something new every day, as they say!    Of course, it is stated on Modern Times (at least the one I have) as "all songs written by Bob Dylan, but I hadn't actually looked into this particular song, because I hadn't heard the original, unlike the rest of songs on MT which I recognised from elsewhere - I should have dug a bit deeper! 

I just listened to the Memphis Minnie version and it sounds wonderful - on Dylan's version it is easy to detect from where it originated, unlike the Led Zep version, which is completely removed from the original!   The Led Zep version is great and full marks to them for crediting "Minnie" - it's a pity Dylan doesn't do the same when he "borrows" from other songwriters.

yes but on the other hand, led Zep did'nt credit "willie Dixon" for you need love on "whole lotta a love", so maybe the Memphis Minnie credit  is a little repentance  ;)

the leeve breaks Led Zep version is awesome IMHO. the drums were recorded in an unsual way :
http://www.dannybritt.com/whentheleveebreaks.htm

more info on the song in general :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Levee_Breaks

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »

It is unbelievable how many Led Zep girl tribute groups there are! This one gives a magnificent performance and look at the credits: written by Minnie and Mc Coy, based on the Led Zed version. Bravo x2 girls!

The girls were great!   :thumbsup      Why can't something as good as this turn up on The X Factor instead of the dross that's on there at the moment!   ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »
Actually the case with Dixon came up later. And they settled out of court in the 80ies. If you search for Led Zep plagiarism in youtube you will find all the cases. I still think Zeppelin are great, and Dylan too, but the case is that you should  name your direct "references", copyright or not. It is quite different from influences. This one for example: jake holmes - dazed and confused 

I guess xfactor's main audience is different. They are not in it for the music, but for the show. All a mind game. They just have some music qualities to talk about, but nothing more than you can learn to tell apart in a conservatorium or a decent music school. How about raw performance, mistakes and all, but heart and soul.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »
Actually, when I was listening to the girls' version, something else similar was nagging at me!    It was "Joy" by Lucinda Williams from her terrific album "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" - something about the guitar riff. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:09:13 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »
Krusty song and Zeppelin song are different ones...

"When the leave breaks" is the one by Led Zeppelin
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 01:07:17 PM »

The Dylan version definitely sounds like the Memphis Minnie version, which is credited by Led Zep. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »

The Dylan version definitely sounds like the Memphis Minnie version, which is credited by Led Zep.

As far as I recall, Led Zep were obligated to include many credits to old tracks because they played many many songs based on old blues, they had many legal problems because of that.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »
Who's that in your avatar?  Must be some small time drummer. :think
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
Didn't remember the Lucinda song, even though I had the "car wheels..." in my player when it was released. But i gave it a look at youtube and it certainly is a modern blues song!   

Zeppelin sold gazillion records. They had the money and in most case, if not all, they settled out of court. Some credits were given in later releases, but not that many. And this is an ethical matter, not only for money. The songs musically were quite different for the common ear and only the fact that they were careless to include whole phrases in the songs, gave them away. eg.The Lemon song lifts a whole Robert Johnson catch phrase" Squeeze my lemon...", but is really a completely different song. But dazed and confused? Nobody's fault but mine? As I said, I really don't care about it in an artistic way. I get my kicks, original or not, if it is good. But the new artists should mention the original composers, as a "hats off" (and Zeppelin actually wrote a song for Roy Harper, called Hats off to Roy Harper, so they felt the need and understood the value of such gestures) And really it is a logical issue. If I play (or "compose") a Dylan or Zeppelin song that they have copyrighted as being their own, shouldn't I expect a legal action against me? But this is all a nice conversation. They don't listen to us and they keep at it.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »
Actually, when I was listening to the girls' version, something else similar was nagging at me!    It was "Joy" by Lucinda Williams from her terrific album "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" - something about the guitar riff.

Oh, boy, I l-o-v-e Lucinda Williams! What a nice reference!
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »
Do we have the setlist for Mark's  ??? ??? ???  I knew he played " BIA"  from talking with Knopfling who went to the show  last night.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.