Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Yon two crows & Kingdom of gold  (Read 21008 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Yon two crows & Kingdom of gold
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
I find it great that these two songs, which were my favorites the moment I listened to the album, but which I felt had potential for further development, are precisely the two songs that MK has chosen to develop live... Listening to Saskatoon and SF 18th October makes me feel that DS is back, don't you think these live versions would have fit well in the setlist of the OES tour, next to PONO and Iron Hand ? :)

Too bad they alternate, like TR and TOL in 92, I only took hood seats for one 2013 concert (Paris) and I would need more to get a chance to hear these 2 gems live...

Oh an btw don't you think that I used to could Is reminiscent of two young lovers ? Not my cup of tea, but energetic and well executed...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Yon two crows & Kingdom of gold
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:13:21 PM »
I do enjoy them very much too.  One thing that annoys me about Crows is that the solo's over just as I'm getting into it! :(

IUTC stats exactly the same way as TYL used to on the OES tour.  Personally I feel it lacks that little bit without the harmonica but on the album Mark gave the Kim too much room;  it is Marks' album after all!  Maybe Guy could have used some synths here?
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 12:20:41 PM »
Yes Crows solo should not stop... The Saskatoon one is the longest, very energetic, and well recorded... My favorite so far

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »
Yes Crows solo should not stop... The Saskatoon one is the longest, very energetic, and well recorded... My favorite so far

What is it, 5 seconds longer! ;D  Any differences between the solo's in length appear negligible.  As you say, it should never stop!

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »
What's PONO? Ah, these abbreviations ... I just don't have the time to go through all the Dire Straits tracklists all the time ...  ::)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »
What's PONO? Ah, these abbreviations ... I just don't have the time to go through all the Dire Straits tracklists all the time ...  ::)
Planet of New Orleans !

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
It's ridiculous to alternate YTC and KOG ... Both songs should be played every evening.

But it's Mark Knopfler's style.
For some reason, he tends to reject his best tunes and loves to play weak, overplayed and boring tunes instead.

Privateering is not a bad album but there are very few gems or potential live gems.

Redbud Tree disappeared after Vancouver (banned by US customs ? )
Submariner : never heard.
YTC / KOG : ridiculous swap. Don't tell me it's because he has only 60 minutes left. No excuse when you play DWB, SFSL, IUTC, P and CBC every night :disbelief

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 06:02:14 PM »
It's ridiculous to alternate YTC and KOG ... Both songs should be played every evening.

But it's Mark Knopfler's style.
For some reason, he tends to reject his best tunes and loves to play weak, overplayed and boring tunes instead.

Privateering is not a bad album but there are very few gems or potential live gems.

Redbud Tree disappeared after Vancouver (banned by US customs ? )
Submariner : never heard.
YTC / KOG : ridiculous swap. Don't tell me it's because he has only 60 minutes left. No excuse when you play DWB, SFSL, IUTC, P and CBC every night :disbelief
Agreed.
Never understood why SFSL even exists.
P and CBC are nice but played like on the album.
IUTC... On the one hand I am pleased by it because it is a good show case that Mark still have energy; on the other hand, I was never a fan of this "two young lovers" kind of song... And the album version with harmonica is better.
Dwb... Well nobody likes it but I do (maybe because I am French and I like History). Overplayed, though...

Ytc and kog are the only ones which outshine the studio versions... Alternating them is therefore irritating indeed. Like TOL and TR in 92.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »
I tend to agree with you guys;  he has chosen for once to play many new songs at his concerts but they happen to be ones that are, on the whole boring, unimaginative and too similar to the album versions!  There are too many other songs we would rather have heard than the easy to play sleepers he's going through night after night.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
I tend to agree with you guys;  he has chosen for once to play many new songs at his concerts but they happen to be ones that are, on the whole boring, unimaginative and too similar to the album versions!  There are too many other songs we would rather have heard than the easy to play sleepers he's going through night after night.
Still, we have KOG and YTC.
And I'm not hostile to having P, CBC and IUTC even if they are similar to the album. I even miss redbud tree ! I don't miss you blues, though :)
Would have been nice to have dream of a drown submariner... With 20 new songs it is har to please everybody. There is always the one potentially great live song that never gets played... Silvertown blues... You don't know you're born... 5.15am... Punish the monkey... So far from the Clyde.... An today, dream of... !

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Oh...all the songs you mention just make my mouth water!  Just the very thought... :think

You can add Bluebird to the list too.  I think that could use a longer end solo.  I'm sure Hot or What could be turned into something nice;  it's a very good song but suffers from far too much harmonica taking over from Mark with a gorgeous LP sound somewhere in the distant background for about five seconds. :smack  Rearrangement needed and a good song will emerge, I'm sure of it!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:14:30 PM by dmg »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
Oh...all the songs you mention just make my mouth water!  Just the very thought... :think

You can add Bluebird to the list too.  I think that could use a longer end solo.  I'm sure Hot or What could be turned into something nice;  it's a very good song but suffers from far too much harmonica taking over from Mark with a gorgeous LP sound somewhere in the distant background for about five seconds. :smack  Rearrangement needed and a good song will emerge, I'm sure of it!

I love that LP in Hot or What - it almost sounds like a sax!    8)

Herlock's choice of songs sound fine to me too!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »

dmg, Agreed with you on Bluebird. It's such a beautiful song that should be play lived perhaps 2013.  Blood and water is another great one too.  :thumbsup with extended solo of course.

OfflinePixelPerfect

• Local Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 12:57:09 AM »
My gosh, 5:15 am live... I can just imagine it. A gradual build up to a short guitar solo after the line "...to mine the mother lode". Then, things get quiet for the verse "They gather 'round the glass...", and a quiet guitar solo begins after he sings "5:15 am" for the last time. In Tunnel of Love fashion, the extended solo slowly builds back up as the drums kick back in at full throttle for a dramatic finish.

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 02:25:50 AM »

That's Mark for ya'..he likes to throw a 'tease' out there ...and fade it away...I used to scream "NOOOOO!" at the end of "Where do you think you're going". Personally I would love to hear "Blood and Water" and "Dream of the drowned submariner" live..but I'm not sure if a live cover of Submariner could approach the studio version..too much could be lost.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 36 queries.