Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Yon two crows & Kingdom of gold  (Read 21014 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: Yon two crows & Kingdom of gold
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »
Hee, hee! You guys make me chuckle.

He doesn't play the songs you want, he doesn't play the arrangements you want and he doesn't play the solos you want.  But ... he's putting on a show that is getting positive comments pretty well all over, he's not the headliner, so he can relax a little, and he can play what he likes, how he likes. Sounds a pretty good package to me. Give the guy a break.

And it's horses for courses, guys. You're getting a fair number of new songs, which is no bad thing. And remember  ..... what you don't like, others will.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »

He doesn't play the songs you want, he doesn't play the arrangements you want and he doesn't play the solos you want.  But ... he's putting on a show that is getting positive comments pretty well all over, he's not the headliner, so he can relax a little, and he can play what he likes, how he likes. Sounds a pretty good package to me. Give the guy a break.

And it's horses for courses, guys. You're getting a fair number of new songs, which is no bad thing. And remember  ..... what you don't like, others will.

Totally agree, twm!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »
Not at all. Comment away.

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »

you are saying that people can't even comment ?
He's just saying that there is no pleasing us...which..there isn't    ;D
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
Exactly! "The boy dun good" (as they say in certain circles) and you seem so grudging.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »
I think that both songs have to be played all dates, not the one excluding the other, two great songs must be always in the set...

Its a pitty but as you mention, looks the way he has to please us its not like the way we would like...

;D
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »
What I meant is
I am sure 99% of us would NOT be pleased by a Telegraph or Tunnel or Sultans studio version
completely missing the final solo

That's what has happened with both Yon Two Crows and Kingdom of Gold unfortunately

Things like CE and MFN didn't really have outro solo's either on the albums (just play outs) but Mark played some toward the end when live.  We're so used to hearing them with solos now, it's easy to forget the originals! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »
What I meant is
I am sure 99% of us would NOT be pleased by a Telegraph or Tunnel or Sultans studio version

That's what has happened with both Yon Two Crows and Kingdom of Gold unfortunately
Regarding TOL : I don't need the outro and I don't need the song.
The 10 minute intro is good enough.  :lol

The greatest live experience would be a mix of TOl intro & TR outro   :wave

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
What I meant is

Things like CE and MFN didn't really have outro solo's either on the albums (just play outs) but Mark played some toward the end when live.  We're so used to hearing them with solos now, it's easy to forget the originals! ;D
The studio version of Sultans is great. Clean, plain, simple, this is where the whole story started ! The solo is short but enjoyable - more than current live versions IMHO, which are only studio version with less energy...
The studio version of TR is great (albeit a bit cold), and does not miss the outro solo - only that it is fading out instead of coming to a definite conclusion.
CE live version is insane :) but it would have sounded strange on the album, the studio version is not bad either.
As for MFN I think that the studio version is the very best version, no live version could come close. Maybe Montserrat '97 and Wembley'85... but the intro with Sting is only good on the album !

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
What I meant is

Regarding TOL : I don't need the outro and I don't need the song.
The 10 minute intro is good enough.  :lol
That's not Alchemy, that's blasphemy !!!

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
One thing is sure... the blue Pensa will make the show next tour and I hope he'll use it on TR ! the sound of this guitar is just tremendous ! I'm shivering every time I hear KOG on this tour ! sublime
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
One thing is sure... the blue Pensa will make the show next tour and I hope he'll use it on TR ! the sound of this guitar is just tremendous ! I'm shivering every time I hear KOG on this tour ! sublime

Isn't it just?  Sounds wonderful.  I though at first a little like his black Pensa-Suhr only a little more "pure" if you know what I mean.  It has a bit more punch than his recent Pensa's.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
Oh God... yes, if only... that would mean TR is back, and hopefully as good and fast as in 2005 but with a better sound... and a proper guitar solo after "rolling river", not just a karaoke mode like in 2008/2010...

There were 2 songs that dropped in energy in 2008, which were WII and TR; TR now back to the 2005 level, with additional violin interlude; now, could TR be back to this level in 2013 ? and could this finally lead to a DVD ? I'm dreaming...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
Oh God... yes, if only... that would mean TR is back, and hopefully as good and fast as in 2005 but with a better sound... and a proper guitar solo after "rolling river", not just a karaoke mode like in 2008/2010...

There were 2 songs that dropped in energy in 2008, which were WII and TR; TR now back to the 2005 level, with additional violin interlude; now, could TR be back to this level in 2013 ? and could this finally lead to a DVD ? I'm dreaming...

Waken up my friend!

Now you are awake, I can assure you there will be no DVD of any new show.  If 2005 was the last time Mark could play TR at a decent level, with the greatest of respect what makes you think he can play it just as well 8 years later when he's playing a 70 minute gig now with only a couple of very short solo's? 

Personally, I think the song will be dropped;  this is why he dropped it from the Madrid download and why Speedway was dropped from this tour.  Speedway will be the showcase finale next year IMHO.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
Waken up my friend!

Now you are awake, I can assure you there will be no DVD of any new show.  If 2005 was the last time Mark could play TR at a decent level, with the greatest of respect what makes you think he can play it just as well 8 years later when he's playing a 70 minute gig now with only a couple of very short solo's? 

Personally, I think the song will be dropped;  this is why he dropped it from the Madrid download and why Speedway was dropped from this tour.  Speedway will be the showcase finale next year IMHO.

Well, if Mark could improve on WII, why not on TR ? The song demands a high level of concentration, but I'm sure he can do it.
TR in 2005 was not "decent", it was outstanding, the best since 1983 IMHO; and 2010 was not bad, it had a lot of emotion and clarity into it..
Besides, some end solos in 2010 were quite amazing. A bit slower than in Lyon 2005, sure, but Paris 2010 was indeed very good. I am more complaining about the lack of short solo after "rolling rover", but this is easy to restore... and Mark seems in the mood ! so why not ?

And why not "Alchemy II" 30 years after Alchemy ? Now that Mark's solo career is very mature and has a lot to say, why not ?
Even without TR, a DVD featuring WII/SAN/WAM/HFB/MT/BR/PTTE/YTC/KOG/IUTC would be outstanding, don't you think so ?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.