Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Yon two crows & Kingdom of gold  (Read 21010 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Yon two crows & Kingdom of gold
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »
Waken up my friend!

Now you are awake, I can assure you there will be no DVD of any new show.  If 2005 was the last time Mark could play TR at a decent level, with the greatest of respect what makes you think he can play it just as well 8 years later when he's playing a 70 minute gig now with only a couple of very short solo's? 

Personally, I think the song will be dropped;  this is why he dropped it from the Madrid download and why Speedway was dropped from this tour.  Speedway will be the showcase finale next year IMHO.

Well, if Mark could improve on WII, why not on TR ? The song demands a high level of concentration, but I'm sure he can do it.
TR in 2005 was not "decent", it was outstanding, the best since 1983 IMHO; and 2010 was not bad, it had a lot of emotion and clarity into it..
Besides, some end solos in 2010 were quite amazing. A bit slower than in Lyon 2005, sure, but Paris 2010 was indeed very good. I am more complaining about the lack of short solo after "rolling rover", but this is easy to restore... and Mark seems in the mood ! so why not ?

And why not "Alchemy II" 30 years after Alchemy ? Now that Mark's solo career is very mature and has a lot to say, why not ?
Even without TR, a DVD featuring WII/SAN/WAM/HFB/MT/BR/PTTE/YTC/KOG/IUTC would be outstanding, don't you think so ?

I think it's far too late to release a live DVD.  The time to do it was 2001.

WII has only been sharpened up a bit but is it really better than 2001 versions?  I don't think so.  It's now better than it was on other tours and sounding quite nice but let's face facts here, the end solo is probably under a minute long and Mike's whistle is annoying on this all through as well.

IUTC is pointless.  Doesn't work as it is and sounds the same all the time.  Very boring.

Marbletown...zzz.  Now I'm the one who's asleep!

I'm sorry if anyone wants a live DVD from the 2013 tour but I don't because I want to preserve Marks' reputation and have only the best performances officially recorded for historical reference. People in the future can look back at Alchemy and say without doubt that he was phenomenal and I want to preserve that.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »

WII has only been sharpened up a bit but is it really better than 2001 versions?  I don't think so.  It's now better than it was on other tours and sounding quite nice but let's face facts here, the end solo is probably under a minute long and Mike's whistle is annoying on this all through as well.

IUTC is pointless.  Doesn't work as it is and sounds the same all the time.  Very boring.

I'm sorry if anyone wants a live DVD from the 2013 tour but I don't because I want to preserve Marks' reputation and have only the best performances officially recorded for historical reference. People in the future can look back at Alchemy and say without doubt that he was phenomenal and I want to preserve that.

On WII: I can agree with you that Mike is ennoying. I would rather he takes a rest. Appart from that I think it is better than in 2001, where the synth and even the violin did not quite work. 2005 was nice but very simple, no violin, too bad.

IUTC: I'm no big fan actually, I just like its energy.

Marbletown: I respect you opinion, but I think you are pretty alone here. I think it is marvelous, an example that Mark can do something different, only on accoustic guitar, with plenty of variations... a gem in Mark's solo career, I'm so angry they did not include it on the bonus CD from the deluxe version... this and WII... would have prefered the fake version of the Bonus CD that circulated, it was perfect... we already have a perfect WAM from the TRD Bonus disc of 2002, full of energy, with John Illsley and Chris White !

Alchemy: Well I think people could watch Alchemy (1983) and Alchemy II (2013) and enjoy both... anyway, I thought you did not like Alchemy ? ;)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 02:45:09 PM »
I love Alchemy!  My opinion has been that I would have preferred it if they had waited for a live CD from the BIA tour instead.

Mark would have to make a DVD better than Alchemy or there would be no point and that would not be possible now I'm afraid.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 02:51:51 PM »
I love Alchemy!  My opinion has been that I would have preferred it if they had waited for a live CD from the BIA tour instead.

Mark would have to make a DVD better than Alchemy or there would be no point and that would not be possible now I'm afraid.
Well, although I (slightly) prefer TOL from the BIA tour than from the LOG tour (smoother, longer, nice break), overall I think, if you are concerned about Mark's reputation, that it might be better that what stays in History is not those overused synth & keyboards, these overdriven-to-death drums, guy's "sound effect"... and those massively overdriven guitar sounds... :) Alchemy is more sober, hence fitting more with our times that the typical 80's sound of the BIA tour (as good as it is, I love it too, don't get me wrong).

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »

Well, although I (slightly) prefer TOL from the BIA tour than from the LOG tour (smoother, longer, nice break), overall I think, if you are concerned about Mark's reputation, that it might be better that what stays in History is not those overused synth & keyboards, these overdriven-to-death drums, guy's "sound effect"... and those massively overdriven guitar sounds... :) Alchemy is more sober, hence fitting more with our times that the typical 80's sound of the BIA tour (as good as it is, I love it too, don't get me wrong).

So what we already have then, i.e. Alchemy, is fine!  The sound of the BIA tour captures an era;  the era when DS were at their peak in terms of popularity and professionalism.  I don't really hear much difference between LOG and BIA tours anyway.  Both have TW on drums and two sets of keyboards...

Anyway, I love anything Mark does.  I just love it to a different extent! ;D

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »

So what we already have then, i.e. Alchemy, is fine!  The sound of the BIA tour captures an era;  the era when DS were at their peak in terms of popularity and professionalism.  I don't really hear much difference between LOG and BIA tours anyway.  Both have TW on drums and two sets of keyboards...

Anyway, I love anything Mark does.  I just love it to a different extent! ;D
Same here ! ;)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »
Waken up my friend!

Now you are awake, I can assure you there will be no DVD of any new show.  If 2005 was the last time Mark could play TR at a decent level, with the greatest of respect what makes you think he can play it just as well 8 years later when he's playing a 70 minute gig now with only a couple of very short solo's? 

Personally, I think the song will be dropped;  this is why he dropped it from the Madrid download and why Speedway was dropped from this tour.  Speedway will be the showcase finale next year IMHO.

Well, if Mark could improve on WII, why not on TR ? The song demands a high level of concentration, but I'm sure he can do it.
TR in 2005 was not "decent", it was outstanding, the best since 1983 IMHO; and 2010 was not bad, it had a lot of emotion and clarity into it..
Besides, some end solos in 2010 were quite amazing. A bit slower than in Lyon 2005, sure, but Paris 2010 was indeed very good. I am more complaining about the lack of short solo after "rolling rover", but this is easy to restore... and Mark seems in the mood ! so why not ?

And why not "Alchemy II" 30 years after Alchemy ? Now that Mark's solo career is very mature and has a lot to say, why not ?
Even without TR, a DVD featuring WII/SAN/WAM/HFB/MT/BR/PTTE/YTC/KOG/IUTC would be outstanding, don't you think so ?

Sorry but I don't see how Mark's reputation could be affected by a new DVD release. Mark has evolved, he's now different, both as a musician and a person. Why compare if we can have the best of both? Besides all that I don't see Mark only as a guitar player.

A live DVD would be great in all aspects, especially for us who don't live in the touring area.

Now, is it gonna happen? I don't think so...

I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »
One thing is sure... the blue Pensa will make the show next tour and I hope he'll use it on TR ! the sound of this guitar is just tremendous ! I'm shivering every time I hear KOG on this tour ! sublime

yes absolutely

I would have already ordered one if my wrists were not broken

I would order one if I wasn't broke... lol

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 11:35:45 AM »
One thing is sure... the blue Pensa will make the show next tour and I hope he'll use it on TR ! the sound of this guitar is just tremendous ! I'm shivering every time I hear KOG on this tour ! sublime

yes absolutely

I would have already ordered one if my wrists were not broken

I would order one if I wasn't broke... lol

at least you can fix your problem in the future

Sorry if my comment was somehow inappropriate, I didn't know it was a permanent condition. I had a knee injury that still prevents me from playing tennis at the level I used to, amongst other things. I apologise and wish you all the best.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 37 queries.