Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The tour ended - Conclusions  (Read 59647 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: The tour ended - Conclusions
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
It was more than just backache and I think MK did a great job on the 2010 tour, in spite of being in great pain, in fact, he played some of the best versions of TR I have heard even though he was sitting down.  I loved all four of the concerts I attended and these performances stand up very favourably with the wonderful TRs I heard in 2005, in spite of some people not liking the cittern - but I love that version.    MK could easily have cancelled the 2010 tour, but he didn't, he carried on magnificently.   

It's more than just a dislike of the cittern.  It's a dislike of the overall arrangement, the slowing down in pace, the total lack of power or punch and more importantly Mark's highly inaccurate and world weary playing in the shortened outro solo.  It has become nothing short of embarrassing and sadly - I hate to say this - I hope it isn't played in 2013. :'(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »
It's more than just a dislike of the cittern.  It's a dislike of the overall arrangement, the slowing down in pace, the total lack of power or punch and more importantly Mark's highly inaccurate and world weary playing in the shortened outro solo.  It has become nothing short of embarrassing and sadly - I hate to say this - I hope it isn't played in 2013. :'(
I hate the lack of solo after "rolling river" (something somebody here called "karaoke mode") and I wish the pace was faster; aside from that, these versions are not THAT bad, and some even have a good energy. I was there in Paris 2010, 2 meters away from Mark, during the outro solo of TR which had some good licks, and believe me, we were all hysterical... The 2010 versions also improved in the vocals clarity and emotion. So I would not trow them away like this, and I really hope TR will be played again next year.
It's not all about pace, '92 versions are super fast, but are flawed by some many other things that overall they are not the best - '96,'01 and '05 are IMHO.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »
It was more than just backache and I think MK did a great job on the 2010 tour, in spite of being in great pain, in fact, he played some of the best versions of TR I have heard even though he was sitting down.  I loved all four of the concerts I attended and these performances stand up very favourably with the wonderful TRs I heard in 2005, in spite of some people not liking the cittern - but I love that version.    MK could easily have cancelled the 2010 tour, but he didn't, he carried on magnificently.   

It's more than just a dislike of the cittern.  It's a dislike of the overall arrangement, the slowing down in pace, the total lack of power or punch and more importantly Mark's highly inaccurate and world weary playing in the shortened outro solo.  It has become nothing short of embarrassing and sadly - I hate to say this - I hope it isn't played in 2013. :'(

I have to disagree with you, dmg.   The Manchester and Bournemouth versions of TR are really wonderful and I still listen to both of them more than any other versions, purely for the pleasure they give me and nothing can ever take that feeling away from me - not even you! The two versions I am talking about are anything but inaccurate, or world-weary, in fact they are some of the most accurately played I have heard - incidentally have you heard them?   If not then do so! 

Talking about world-weary, slowing down, lack of punch and power, etc.  How do you think you would fare in 30 years time - or even now for that matter?    It is easy to criticise when you're not doing it!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2012, 10:10:42 PM »
You're right Val, the old adage of "it's easy to criticise" is one that rings very true a lot of the time.  I still reserve the right though! ;)

I haven't heard either of the two you mention but I have every circulated bootleg and a good few Simfy shows too as well as attending three shows that tour.  I must also say that it's easy to get caught up in the atmosphere of a show when you're there. 

I went to the show in Lucca 2010 and I was on holiday there, it was a beautiful setting, great weather and an enthusiastic crowd.  I thought at the time it was a great show, but in retrospect the Glasgow show I attended earlier in May was much better.

If you want an example of how inaccurate his playing was on the 2010 tour just listen to the last solo from Sultans on the recently released bootleg from St. Louis:  http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=430708

One of the better played versions actually and good on him for the effort but a bit of a mess in the end.  TR is very poor;  sounds like he is struggling all the way through.  Nice HFB though.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:19:13 PM by dmg »

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 12:25:50 AM »
Ive not heard a decent version of TR since 2005, his playing was fantastic then. As for 2010 versions, totally boring and lack lustre. Id rather he played something else than killing one of his best songs.

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 02:16:35 AM »
Wow, some tough critics here! What is the solution to disgruntled fans? An unpleasant answer, I think.  In regard to the back problem

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 04:38:10 AM »
I did not detect any signs of world-wearyness from this just concluded tour.  I saw him 4 times, twice up front. Mark and the band were as magnificient  as they have always been.  From the moment, they took the stage till their departure , each evening was nothing but a heavenly experience.  Mark is still going strong IMO.  The sound from his guitars hasn't lost its magical touch.  His soothing voice sounds better than never.    I can only hope that we'll all be fortunate enough to see him perform for many many more years to come :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
  I must also say that it's easy to get caught up in the atmosphere of a show when you're there. 

Yes, of course it is, but I loved what I heard when I was at these concerts, so I was delighted, when I heard the recordings, that my ears had not deceived me and I was not just carried along with the atmosphere.  I have twelve simfy recordings, but listen to these two often, because they give me great pleasure - I wouldn't listen to them otherwise - I'm not a masochist afterall!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »
This could very likely be the last tour for Mark. Enjoy it while you may.

Yes, Rkd, we never know when it will end and I'm certain we won't be told until afterwards, so just let's enjoy every show as if it were the last!

I don't think it is going to happen in the near future, though, because MK is in such good form at the moment and he still seems to have a lot of things to do.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »
With all things said, Mark still gives a great show but lately we just haven't had the energy we used to have emitting from the stage - I just wish sometimes I could turn back the clock.  My big regret is that I only got to see one concert on the STP tour.

Strangely enough the 2011 concert I went to in glasgow was a distinct step up from the previous two tours in terms of energy... ???

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »
With all things said, Mark still gives a great show but lately we just haven't had the energy we used to have emitting from the stage - I just wish sometimes I could turn back the clock.  My big regret is that I only got to see one concert on the STP tour.

Strangely enough the 2011 concert I went to in glasgow was a distinct step up from the previous two tours in terms of energy... ???
I agree about energy, he was on fire last year. I may be wrong as Ive only heard recordings from
this year but he doesnt sound as good.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »

I only went to one STP concert, first night at the RAH and it is the only MK concert I have attended where I came home bitterly disappointed and depressed, mainly due to Mike Henderson and his overpowering guitar, which made MK almost inaudible at times. It took quite a while after that show before I could even listen to an MK album again, in fact I thought I had stopped being a fan!    Of course, that could never happen and I have enjoyed every concert since!   :)

Although I enjoyed Mark's part of the 2011 concert, it still didn't even come near the pleasure the 2010 ones gave me and are still giving me.   :)

Year on year, at a certain time of life, nobody is as energetic as they were in past years and that includes MK, so it is futile to dwell on it.  His music is going to be different in the future than it was in the past, but just as enjoyable, I'm sure.     
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineferguitar

• Local Hero
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2012, 02:53:43 PM »
I wish MK could stop playing the "oldies", since hes murdering all of them. Its an embarrassement. Sadly Mark lost a great deal since 2002, and the two last studio albums are not worthy MK

Onlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
I think you are all overreacting. Our man is getting old and thats it! Nothing less nothing more. Look at EC, BD Robert Plant, Chris Rea, Roger Waters, Gilmour.... They're all can't paly their classics like the way they used to. Like some wise man said ''Time has no shame''.
And the oldies thing he should play couple of them everyg gig with no exeption. Especially in Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Turkey...etc. You may heard those legendary song quite a lot but those people can't. Without SOS and TR MK solo show is meaningless. Let's face it his solo material is very good but his song choise is terrible. Mk isn't a vocalist he is a songwriter ( nowadays can't write a lyrics like TR,PI, SOS, OES... etc) and legendary guitarist. If it's up to him like he don't want to play the guitar recently. Fish and the bird, haul away, monteleone,prairie wedding, done with bonaparte... Actually terrible choices for a concert. Again without SAN, TR, SOS it's meaningless solo tour.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »

I only went to one STP concert, first night at the RAH and it is the only MK concert I have attended where I came home bitterly disappointed and depressed, mainly due to Mike Henderson and his overpowering guitar, which made MK almost inaudible at times. It took quite a while after that show before I could even listen to an MK album again, in fact I thought I had stopped being a fan!    Of course, that could never happen and I have enjoyed every concert since!   :)

Although I enjoyed Mark's part of the 2011 concert, it still didn't even come near the pleasure the 2010 ones gave me and are still giving me.   :)

Year on year, at a certain time of life, nobody is as energetic as they were in past years and that includes MK, so it is futile to dwell on it.  His music is going to be different in the future than it was in the past, but just as enjoyable, I'm sure.   
[/quote]

Maybe Mark should lose some of that belly and get fit, then he'll have a bit more energy on stage! ;D  Get down the gym or something.  I'm afraid that if Mark goes to the gym his favourite machine would be the vending machine! :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 39 queries.