Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The tour ended - Conclusions  (Read 59696 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: The tour ended - Conclusions
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2012, 01:08:34 AM »
I was actually referring to two teams (or whatever) who were playing one another. If 'gers is your team, then there is little prospect of them meeting Celtic, certainly not so frequently, in the near future.

And, just out of interest, two of my Dylan acquaintances are good, not say close, friends and they kick with different feet. One of my abiding memories is taking a meal with them at a Dylan convention in Manchester. The banter between them, jocular and good-hearted but cutting, was priceless.  I think it was the first time mrs twm had met them and, coming from that fine city as she does, she ached with laughter by the end. I wish I could have bottled the jokes, the biting repartee, the quick wit and the underlying "edge" to it all. The roaring  from everyone at the table marked a great evening.

Here's ny contribution. Many, many years ago, it was a Saturday and I was on a bus from Glasgow City Centre heading out of town. The bus stopped near Parkhead and there was a bit of a commotion upstairs. This was just before lunchtime. The noise was a drunken Celtic supporter coming down the stairs to get off. He was so drunk that he was banging off the sides of the stairs as he came down. Eventually, he appeared at the bottom, on the platform, dressed in the full regalia - green white stripes everywhere, head to toe. As he stood on the platform to get off, there was a vertical pole ahead of him, exactly half-way between the sides of the bus doors, which had now opened. He brought himself up and looked ahead of him. Which side of the pole to go? It was a difficult decision. He swayed, leaned forward, tried to concentrate, made his decision and lunged forward. He missed the pole and all but fell off the bus. Realising he managed to get off, he brought himself to his full height and gave a roar of triumph before stumbling a bit more. Then, ahead of him, he saw a bar or pub. Another challenge! He drew himself up, assessed his ability against the distance to get to it and the width of its entrance and proceeded to zig-zagged his way across the pavement. After repeating his escapade with the pole on the bus, he entered the bar at last, presumably to celebrate his success in getting there in the first place.

Not a particularly funny story but the 'gers supporter immediately asked, "Was he followed behind by a wee boy?" I just fell about laughing. What a great line!

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2012, 01:16:07 AM »
Vgonis, I went to Athens in 2008 to see MK and the ancient ruins (sounds like a good name for the 96ers). Did you see him get really angry with the tapers and start swearing during why aye man. It was awful to see and totally spoilt the show. I also seem to remember their was gonna be a riot because he didnt play MFN. The energy levels from the audience were amazing, very different from sitting in the RAH clapping politely.
oh the good old click-on-a-button-and-speak-directly-into-the-mic-to -your-team-to-tell-them-about-some-lonely-taper they should catch, that so ruined those shows for me that year. Really sad.
I am just saying two words hear "tripod" and "Amsterdam";(
What happened in Amsterdam?  I did message GF on his forum after Athens about the show being spoilt by MK losing it on stage. His answer was, Thanks Andy, very interesting.  Which for GF I thought was quite good. I didnt see anything like that in 2010 and 2011 thankfully.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »
:smack  I wanted a fight! I had put my bets on Val!  :wave But I also, secretly, wanted dmg and Banjo to win.  ;D

How about going to the cinema! I saw this old films from the 90ies, with Rachel Griffiths, "Divorcing Jack" and "Muriel's wedding", both great, with that order.
I really miss the old days where a soundtrack was thrown in between DS releases.

If my memory serves, Kitty Aldridge was on "Divorcing Jack" film.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
She played a small role as well, but the real star is Rachel Griffiths. What a nun! In her youth her face characteristics reminded me a bit of  Juliette Lewis.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »
She played a small role as well, but the real star is Rachel Griffiths. What a nun! In her youth her face characteristics reminded me a bit of  Juliette Lewis.

Juliette Lewis did a wonderful job in Scorsese's Cape Fear but kind of drifted off the scene somehow.  I think she's singing/touring with her band as well as acting part-time these days.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »
Great talent, both as an actress and musician, but her music doesn't seem to have a great impact. But surely better than Bruce Willis' efforts, or Don Johnson's.  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »
Great talent, both as an actress and musician, but her music doesn't seem to have a great impact. But surely better than Bruce Willis' efforts, or Don Johnson's.  ;D

Miami Vice was great.  I have a couple of series on DVD and the soundtracks are great;  in one episode part of BIA is played and in another RAtR is played!  Great to hear the latter in a series especially.

The most appropriate one to play would be SFA.  In fact they could just show the official video because the band look like they just walked off the set! :lol

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
Ha, ha, ha!  ;D
Even though I must have probably watched only 2-3 episodes from Miami Vice, I must agree on the SFA comment! After watching the SFA (and WoL) videos for the first time I had doubts DS were a British group!  As you realize I was talking about their singing careers and not their acting .

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »
I doubt I ever watched a complete epiosde of Miami Vice. Just got bored. And not all the music was that good in it. I think the guy who made it went on the make "Band of the Hand", for which Dylan provided the title track. Not a great film, either.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
I doubt I ever watched a complete epiosde of Miami Vice. Just got bored. And not all the music was that good in it. I think the guy who made it went on the make "Band of the Hand", for which Dylan provided the title track. Not a great film, either.

Crockett lived on a yacht, drove a Ferarri and kept an alligator for a pet. 8) 8)  How can these ingredients not make for a great series! ;D

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2012, 12:56:42 AM »
They're just window dressing, sheer gloss, nothing to do with plot, character, character development, relationships or anything that might make a story interesting. The things you cited don't even make an episode, let alone a series.

"Miami Vice" was aimed at a generation brought up on "The A-Team" but looking for something with surface sophistication with heavier violence. So the slightly daffy crash-bang-wallop but nobody-dies stuff of the A-Team was transmogrified into a weekly body count - and all done to the beat of the popular music of the day.  What age were you then, dmg?

P.S. As I recall, the Ferrari wasn't even a real Ferrari, by the way.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2012, 01:15:08 AM »
It is a long discussion this one twm. I guess there were restrictions back then, all these were aired well after 21:00 and were not for children, well not under 15 anyway. I never got to watch them when they first appeared because we didn't have a TV at home until 1991. It was fun watching old TV series during the summer time, late at night, and the TV stations prefered them because they were cheaper than movies. I believe that all these could be filed under "TV pulp". This distingtion itself was a great psychological filter. You knew that what you saw was pulp, not serious and you just watched it for fun, for the action and for the current trends of another country (cars, clothes, food, women or men, houses and so on) 

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2012, 01:39:14 AM »
I'm not saying it wasn't popular, but mainly with males and mainly males in their teens and early twenties, I supect.

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2012, 04:40:40 AM »
MV was a junky show ...all glitz..no substance. But it was a good vehicle for new music at the time. I remember the episode that aired with BIA in the background was an unusually good one...and that Glenn Frey guested on a few episodes..as a smuggler I believe  :think
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
MV was a junky show ...all glitz..no substance. But it was a good vehicle for new music at the time. I remember the episode that aired with BIA in the background was an unusually good one...and that Glenn Frey guested on a few episodes..as a smuggler I believe  :think.

Phil Collins guested as a drug dealer too!  In fact every show had the same story;  drug dealers - undercover - capture white snow. ;D

Of course, it was not of great quality but it was fun to watch if you liked that sort of thing.  I gather the later series aren't as good as the first few series either and I have only seen series 2 and 3 recently.

As for his car, his Ferarri changed model but I'm afraid memory fails me on which ones.

I guess the main attention grabber for me is the nostalgia factor.  This takes me back to the era where I was brought up.  It's still not a patch on The Persuaders, The Saint, Man In A Suitcase, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:46:38 PM by dmg »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.