Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Live recordings  (Read 36673 times)

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
Re: Live recordings
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 11:21:19 PM »
Illegal? Do you mean unlawful? Which law does it breach? If you mean that it would be contrary to the contract into which you entered when you bought the ticket, the same applies to those who go in and tape shows. Moreover, when you buy the USB sticks on-line, it's not limited to the shows you'll be attending. As I understand it, you could buy USB sticks for each and every show, whether you'll be attending them all or not - and some AMITers will be doing just that, I'm sure.

Anyway, if it is technically feasible, then that's exactly what will happen. It is only a question of whether individuals choose to band together and  do it in an organised way. It is the PRIVATEERING tour after all. It would a fine example of privateering, I suggest.

2103 will be. Never in a public way.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 11:44:49 PM »
I guess for the average fan-concert goer, who will buy 1-2 as souvenir it is a logical price. But for the average AMIT fan, who wants it all, it is an overkill. ;D I just have to change habbits. Being doing it since 2009, so another one to leave the building.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 11:45:13 PM »
The cost is far too high.  The have pitched these out of the reach of most people and not estimated their market very well at all.  I can't see very many casual fans spending 30 Euro on these at all, especially in todays financial climate.  I think that they really need to revise their pricing strategy and offer and more flexible buyer option along the lines of what Val suggested if they want to make this scheme profitable.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »
I guess for the average fan-concert goer, who will buy 1-2 as souvenir it is a logical price. But for the average AMIT fan, who wants it all, it is an overkill. ;D I just have to change habbits. Being doing it since 2009, so another one to leave the building.

I'm sure there'll be a couple of very average DAT-based audience recordings available somewhere down the line! ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 11:55:01 PM »
Remember what Simfy told me when they went  bust: they had to pay very high advances to the artists and did not generate enough margins to recoup them. So, since it is a very small market, they are playing the high-margin niche strategy rather than the high volume-low pricing one. Time will tell if they were right...
As for me I think i will restrict myself to about 5 concerts (versus 10 for Simfy) after a careful setlist/performance quality analysis. This should be enough to get good versions of all songs... Actually I only want What it is, Yon Two Crows, and Kingdom of Gold (and TR if it is there and good, or TOL if it replaces TR - ok I am nothing but a dreamer). The rest is either already own in good versions or not much different from the albums :)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 11:59:41 PM »
Delivery 2.50

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 12:07:32 AM »
Shhh! They are monitoring us dmg!  ;D   I am pretty sure they will be. And anyway I find less and less time with each passing year to listen to all these recordings anyway. But I wonder if the crisis is due to such things as well.  :hmm   About selling strategies, I can follow every logic (profit logic that is) but like Simfy that went bust, it seems that sometimes this logic is wrong, or anyway doomed right from the start. I wonder what happened to these Simfy recordings.
I was listening to a Chris Rea interview and he was telling how he likes to release many things together (studio, live, and movie) with a budget price of a single or double CD. Maybe this would be the best solution. Selling them in a bulk, downloading them or getting them all together in a handful of USD sticks, and getting a budget price for all. After all this will be only for the die hard fans, that can listen to approximately the same songs-setlists of 64 concerts.

And yes, 15 Euros every couple of weeks is a fair price, and you can buy them all in a year. 30 Euros is way too much. And I though it included p&p. Anyway, better start saving!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 12:27:59 AM »
I copy my own commercial CDs to play the CD dubs in the car. I don't trust the car CD player (a Sony) not to chew tthe commercial CDs up and, as I have said before I think, I copy them on a CD-Recorder, never on a computer, because computer CDs are a touch heavier and thicker and more likely to bugger up the car CD player. If mrs twm buys a USB-stick of a show, I'll expect to be able to put it on CD inorder to play in the car.

I am not a completist collector, even of Mr Bob, so iyt is not really an issue for me but I know there are people here who will wish to get every show in soundboard quality. Purchasing every available show on an official USB stick will be prohibitively expensive for those folk, not to say exploitative.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 12:41:20 AM »
Too bad they re still lossless, but hey! Awesomeeeeeeee

I challenge you to tell the difference between 320 kb/s MP3 and CD 16/44 in a blind (A/B/X) test of the same material, whetever it is, even on the best audio hardware in the world.
Hours of study of the latest papers on audio technology convinced me of this simple idea that mastering is the only factor that matters in the quality of an audio recording.
A redbook CD can be made to sound fantastic, no need for hi-rez SA-CD or DVD-A, our ear can't hear above 20khz and 16 bit is all the dynamic range we will ever need.
As for lossy, you can definitely hear a difference with 128kb/s MP3, but 320kb/s is as good as a CD will ever be - at least for our ears.

Care for good mastering, not the media !! A good master will sound good on just about anything; conversely, a bad master will sound bad even on a 24/192 hi-rez recording.

As I already said regarding DIME, 24/48 FLAC files are overkill for a live concert; of course they are fine, but a 320kb/s MP3 will just sound identical, while taking only a 10th of its size and downloading time !
talk to Neil Young, he would wash your mouth with green soap mon ami.
Also, I DO here it during the audience applauses and the cymbals being used. Elsewhere I defy do not, true. Still, why effing downgrade, why do the work if you can leave it in it's original format, not thaaaaat much larger in size. Also, why a 4gb stick for a 250mb sized lossy show?
All that wanna "coop" pls contact me.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 08:30:07 AM »
I agree with Herlock, was listening to a simfy recording the other day on a decent system and it was great.

Re the buy and share secretly circle - I wish we had thought of that last tour,  ;)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
In Dylan World, there were several occasions on which collectors clubbed together (that is, pooled their financial resources) to "extract" recordings from those who had them but wanted large sums of money. I was involved in what was more or less the last of these. I was the point man (who had diret contact with the seller) and two friends (one on either side of the Atlkantic) got the money together. Why was it the last one? Because it only worked when those who contributed financially got a recording closest to source. Nowadays, with modern technology, that does not apply, so the incentive is not there.

Nevertheless, the principle of clubbing together to pool resources still applies. It just takes one person to co-ordinate the whole thing - and not on a public forum like this.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
talk to Neil Young, he would wash your mouth with green soap mon ami.
Also, I DO here it during the audience applauses and the cymbals being used. Elsewhere I defy do not, true. Still, why effing downgrade, why do the work if you can leave it in it's original format, not thaaaaat much larger in size. Also, why a 4gb stick for a 250mb sized lossy show?
All that wanna "coop" pls contact me.
Re Hi-Rez vs. CD, I strongly suggest you go and read this highly enlightening paper: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
Once you have, let's talk again about it and see which mouth will be washed with green soap :)
Re CD vs. 320kb/s MP3, there's no reason why the cymbals should be more affected than anything else by the compression. Ok, I confess I have a slight psychological preference for lossless agaisnt lossy, just to make sure I don't miss anything; but it is probably placebo, as I could never hear a difference between 256kb/s AAC or 320kb/s MP3 vs. CD.

I stick to my point: as long as you don't encode in shitty 128kb/s mp3, the mastering will do everything for the quality of your recording !

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »
I copy my own commercial CDs to play the CD dubs in the car. I don't trust the car CD player (a Sony) not to chew tthe commercial CDs up and, as I have said before I think, I copy them on a CD-Recorder, never on a computer, because computer CDs are a touch heavier and thicker and more likely to bugger up the car CD player. If mrs twm buys a USB-stick of a show, I'll expect to be able to put it on CD inorder to play in the car.

I am not a completist collector, even of Mr Bob, so iyt is not really an issue for me but I know there are people here who will wish to get every show in soundboard quality. Purchasing every available show on an official USB stick will be prohibitively expensive for those folk, not to say exploitative.

Of course  I want to have them all (as usual). But this price is too much, after spending a lot of money on concerttickets, flights, petrol, hotels, ferries and so on. But I know myself, you never know where it ends ;-)

And TWM, it's not allowed to copy the USB's for others. It IS allowed to copy it for own use in your car, on iPod or other private use. I agree with you that cars eats CD's, I had to replace a lot of my old DS CD's after a couple of years in the car. Problem now solved, I have a harddisk in the car.

Because of this laws, which are european laws, the moderators will not allow people "trading" this in public on this forum. What you do yourself is fine by be, just be warned that it's illegal so if you get caught it's even more expensive.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.