Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Set lists - the discussion # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 6014 times)

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
Set lists - the discussion # SPOILER AHEAD #
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:57:57 PM »
Dear fellow MK fans  :)

During the last couple of MK tours, I have read a lot of posts about how set-list should be, or shouldn't be. We are a lot of fans, with a lot of different thoughts and wishes about how they should be. Lately I have also been reading a lot of posts on Guys forum. Some of them not so nice, and that disturbs me. I mean, think about the position Guy is in. He is right in the middle of us "get a lifers", and Mark. We all know we should be very gratefull having someone in the band, answering us all the time, and keeping us updated about whats happening behind the curtains. For all we know, with all these complains, maybe one day he just dont bother to do it anymore.

But dont get me wrong. I too - would love to hear some really old DS classics, which hasn
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:00:44 PM by Tobben »

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
Re: Set lists - the discussion # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:06:49 PM »
Dear fellow MK fans  :)

During the last couple of MK tours, I have read a lot of posts about how set-list should be, or shouldn't be. We are a lot of fans, with a lot of different thoughts and wishes about how they should be. Lately I have also been reading a lot of posts on Guys forum. Some of them not so nice, and that disturbs me. I mean, think about the position Guy is in. He is right in the middle of us "get a lifers", and Mark. We all know we should be very gratefull having someone in the band, answering us all the time, and keeping us updated about whats happening behind the curtains. For all we know, with all these complains, maybe one day he just dont bother to do it anymore.

But dont get me wrong. I too - would love to hear some really old DS classics, which hasn

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
Very nice post, Tobben!    I agree with every word!     :thumbsup   
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »
yes, i think here is the best place to have a good moan if you need a bit of MK therapy.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 12:53:08 AM »
yes, i think here is the best place to have a good moan if you need a bit of MK therapy.

Hahaha!! Funny!
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 02:13:39 AM »

OK, but the endless whining about what MK should have played and the statements that he is disrespecting his fans if he doesn

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »

OK, but the endless whining about what MK should have played and the statements that he is disrespecting his fans if he doesn

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »
When this tour started and after 5 concerts, I thought that this would be the funniest tour ever with so many changes, and at the same time I fear that MK would end being MK, and would stick with one setlist, and, thats what happened...

I was fortunate enough to attend Newcastle and Liverpool where the changes were there yet, I witnessed 5.15 am, Back to Tupelo and Seattle, but when the tour got to the RAH, the setlist started to be more static, from 6 nights, pretty much the same setlist every night except for one night where "kingdom" was played, and other than Sultans was out and Sonny Liston in...

Now it looks like, unexpectly, "I dug up a diamond" is one standard for this tour. I don
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
When this tour started and after 5 concerts, I thought that this would be the funniest tour ever with so many changes, and at the same time I fear that MK would end being MK, and would stick with one setlist, and, thats what happened...

I was fortunate enough to attend Newcastle and Liverpool where the changes were there yet, I witnessed 5.15 am, Back to Tupelo and Seattle, but when the tour got to the RAH, the setlist started to be more static, from 6 nights, pretty much the same setlist every night except for one night where "kingdom" was played, and other than Sultans was out and Sonny Liston in...

Now it looks like, unexpectly, "I dug up a diamond" is one standard for this tour. I don
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
There's something about YTC that doesn't quite work;  it just doesn't sound right in the lyrics part and it's not Mark's singing.  I don't think Mark's happy with it either and that's the reason it's not being played.

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »
I start by saying that YTC is one of my favorite songs of Privateering. And I must say that I had a lot of expectations for the live version. But actually it wasn't so: fair in Sofia and Bucharest, a bit disappointing in Ljubljana. I agree with dmg: something doesn't work. My hope is that Mark can revisit it and propose a live version that does justice to the song. But I doubt it will happen on this tour.
The opposite happened with Kingdom of gold: (for me) one of the nicest surprises of the tour

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »
I start by saying that YTC is one of my favorite songs of Privateering. And I must say that I had a lot of expectations for the live version. But actually it wasn't so: fair in Sofia and Bucharest, a bit disappointing in Ljubljana. I agree with dmg: something doesn't work. My hope is that Mark can revisit it and propose a live version that does justice to the song. But I doubt it will happen on this tour.
The opposite happened with Kingdom of gold: (for me) one of the nicest surprises of the tour

I love YTC too but KOG sounds really great live, so much better than any recording captures.  Maybe the gold lighting and smoke effects help, but the power of the song really shines through IMO.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »
That's the point, is Mark still able to play our fave song properly.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 38 queries.