Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Olympic Opening Cermonies--wayyyy off MK topics  (Read 49370 times)

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
Olympic Opening Cermonies--wayyyy off MK topics
« on: August 09, 2008, 09:33:21 PM »
We watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics last night.  Awesome, beautiful, unforgettable, magnificent, unprecedented, unmatched, incomparable, gorgeous, breath-taking.  Congratulations to China!  Allen, you should be proud!    No smilies good enough here to represent my awe and respect!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:16:39 AM by IrisRose »
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Olympic Opening Cermonies--wayyyy off MK topics
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:21:01 PM »
it was AWESOME indeed.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »
I see I have missed something! ..........I didn't have time to watch, except the last part when that man was running in the sky and lit the fire and that was amazing to watch!

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »
just read that only 29 of the 100 "footsteps" (in the fireworks) were actually done live, most others were digitally added.
also the footage from the helicopter was prerecorded, as there was a general no-flying policy above peking that night.
still, loved it.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it would have been much more impressive if China improved their human rights record and respected Tibet!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »
did not yet want to move in that area so soon, but you are OBVIOUSLY absolutely right.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »
I agree that China (and many other countries)  needs to work on its human rights program--and the USA needs to get out of other countries' business--Iraq, for example.  Many people feel the need to make statements..but not at the Olympics.
The Olympics are not about nationalism or politics or governments.   They are about people--at their best: with achievement, friendship, and harmony.     The ceremonies stressed so beautifully that this was an event about unity and friendship.   I, for one, wish that politics and governments would stay out of the Olympics.  This magnificent tradition has nothing to do with international conflicts and policies.   More than one event has been ruined because of nationalism, prejudice, hatred, and politics.   Interesting how those words appear in the same sentence.  No country is perfect.   And no country is evil--discounting the bad-ass leaders.  I'm not speaking of China here, Pottel.   :)   Countries are land, rivers, mountains, towns, cities, and above all, people, most of whom want to live decent lives and mean to harm to anyone else, irrespective of governments.

People respecting people and people putting their best in.  That's what the Olympics are about.   
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:14:11 AM by IrisRose »
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 10:04:09 PM »
then again the whole opening event was only possible (and beautiful as it was) due to the totalitarian govmt.
anyways, if we want Allen to be able to use this forum without gov. hassle, maybe we need to be cautious with this topic.

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 05:14:44 AM »
Hi my dear friends,

I'm still in Hohhot, back in my hometown for additional holiday.  Glad many of you like the opening ceremonies of the 29th Olymplics.  Pottel, only 29 footsteps of 100 are real, because this is the 29th Olypmics.  :)   

I'm not so serious about the politics topics, but for Tibet issues, I only hope some of you could pay a visit there to see what the local people live today.  I'm really tired of the old photos and reports from western countries. 

I'll be back in Beijing for work and MK communities on about 20th of August, stay tuned!

BTW, have you got my parcel, IrisRose?

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 08:17:12 AM »
shall we just leave politics off the forum then? not sure really, just don't want to get fights started or get people into trouble.
anyone up for a poll?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »
Neither politics nor religion should be discussed at the dinner table.  Maybe that should also apply to the forum!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 10:01:40 AM »
Quote Val: "Neither politics nor religion should be discussed at the dinner table.  Maybe that should also apply to the forum!"   

I agree with you Val!   ;)

I post at a forum of a friend for almost 6 years. We have a politics section there too. People respect each others opinion, but the difference can sometimes be so big, that after many discussions all those years, some friendships were destroyed and that feels terrible!

We are such a wonderful group of friends over the world and politics or religion shouldn't come between!  Besides Mark  :P (who is the main reason) there are already many nice, interesting and funny subjects we can talk about here too!

Fieneke
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:10:09 AM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
Quote Val: "Neither politics nor religion should be discussed at the dinner table.  Maybe that should also apply to the forum!"   

I agree with you Val!   ;)

I post at a forum of a friend for almost 6 years. We have a politics section there too. People respect each others opinion, but the difference can sometimes be so big, that after many discussions all those years, some friendships were destroyed and that feels terrible!

We are such a wonderful group of friends over the world and politics or religion shouldn't come between!  Besides Mark  :P (who is the main reason) there are already many nice, interesting and funny subjects we can talk about here too!

Fieneke

Must say I agree fully with your post Fieneke. I would prefer a Forum with no politics or religion at all. I think there are enough other non-MK related outlets for these topics where we are able to express our views and beliefs.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 11:06:47 AM »
 i seriously tink we need a general poll on this, not just from the editors.

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 02:43:59 PM »
I vote for no political or religious discussions..............

I thought the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics was stunning! It was very beautiful, entertaining and breathtaking.....I love the Olympics and am enjoying every competition I've been able to record, watch live and replay!

How about that stunning 400m swimming relay!!!!!!!! Team USA was outstanding! What a finish!!!!! Michael Phelps has been living and training in Ann Arbor, Michigan (not far from me), at the University of Michigan. My husband's business partner's daughter (got that?)  was a diver with the UM swim team and knew Michael Phelps. Apparently, he's a very nice guy, not to mention-an amazing swimmer. GO MICHAEL!!!!!!!! :D
arse ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 38 queries.