Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 05:2013.05.02, Parcolimpico, Turin, IT # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 63531 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Concert # 05:2013.05.02, Parcolimpico, Turin, IT # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »
it's because it's played on the pensa !  ;D ;D ;D ;D

TR has to be played on the sunburst schecter strat, or on the red strat like in lyon 2005 (many AMITers claim it's one of best versions)

kidding of course, but I've never liked the pensa guitars

I must admit though, that some fantastic versions were played on pensa (e.g. 23/05/1996 RAH, or final solo in Basel 92)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #226 on: May 07, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »
I'd give that one a C-.  Must try harder!  Maybe the worst one I've heard actually. :-[

The following night in Milan had a great final solo as well...

C- is rather generous for this effort!    In fact I have not heard any TR on this tour that is anywhere near as good as the ones from 2010!   ::)    I would rather he drop TR and bring back Sultans!   ;)
Val ?? I'm quite puzzled by this statement, have you heard TR from Istanbul a few days ago ? the final solo is great and much faster than any 2010 version I heard ! ???

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2013, 11:56:47 PM »
TR in Turino was quite a disaster on the final solo. I know I was standing at the barrier just in front of Mark's amp. And same for BIA. But excellent SOS. Milano the day after was much better.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #228 on: May 07, 2013, 11:59:03 PM »
TR in Turino was quite a disaster on the final solo. I know I was standing at the barrier just in front of Mark's amp. And same for BIA. But excellent SOS. Milano the day after was much better.
Ok, so Turino was an accident, now how would you compare TR in Milano 2013 and TR in 2010 ?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2013, 12:11:06 AM »
Ok, so Turino was an accident, now how would you compare TR in Milano 2013 and TR in 2010 ?

I did not listened to the 2010 Milano version so I can't compare.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2013, 01:10:48 AM »
Local Hero
listen to 4:13
after telegraph and this I guess it was not exactly his best night

TgXpD7zTsMU

;)

Wait to hear Sultans from Milano.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2013, 01:28:48 AM »

I did not listened to the 2010 Milano version so I can't compare.
I mean: how would you compare a good 2013 version to a good 2010 version, not especially Milano...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #232 on: May 08, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »
I'd give that one a C-.  Must try harder!  Maybe the worst one I've heard actually. :-[

C- is rather generous for this effort!    In fact I have not heard any TR on this tour that is anywhere near as good as the ones from 2010!   ::)    I would rather he drop TR and bring back Sultans!   ;)
Val ?? I'm quite puzzled by this statement, have you heard TR from Istanbul a few days ago ? the final solo is great and much faster than any 2010 version I heard ! ???

Hi Herlock!    Yes, Istanbul was very good and certainly fast, but it didn't have nearly the beautiful phrasing (I don't know the word to describe it) as the ones I heard at, particularly, Manchester and Bournemouth in 2010.  Fast is not always best - there are other factors to consider, but Istanbul is probably the best of this tour - so far!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2013, 09:32:11 AM »

Hi Herlock!    Yes, Istanbul was very good and certainly fast, but it didn't have nearly the beautiful phrasing (I don't know the word to describe it) as the ones I heard at, particularly, Manchester and Bournemouth in 2010.  Fast is not always best - there are other factors to consider, but Istanbul is probably the best of this tour - so far!   :)
Hey Superval,
I agree with you, faster does not always mean better: the OES versions in 91/92 were the fastest ever, yet I don't find them to be the best ever at all: certainly very technically impressive, but feel too "rushed", too much pedal steel and saxophone, but no intro, and not enough emotion compared to say, Alchemy, the reference version.
To me the best versions ever were in 1996/2001/2005 - the best compromise between energy and passion...
Still, I was sooo pleasantly surprised this year with the renewed energy. Listening to Istanbul end solo I almost feel to be back in 2005 after the slowdown of 2008/2010 ! Still, after listening again to Lyon 2005 (another reference version), I realize that we are not (yet ?) at 2005 standards...
And this "karaoke mode" after "rolling rover" that Mark has been indulging into since 2008 is simply unbearable !
Compared to 2010 another bothers me this year, the end solo is faster but shorther. And the increase in pace cannot alone explain the difference in time (nearly a minute). Some verses must have been shortened...
Oh well. Still hope to have a DVD/Blu-Ray this year, to have at least an alternate version of TR on video, other than Alchemy which is great but too much heard. And to get at last WII, HFB, Marbetown, Crows (I really hope !), Piper (same !) of video will be a real long-awaited treat.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2013, 10:49:33 PM »
Local Hero

TgXpD7zTsMU

;)

what do you mean ?

it's already in the Milan thread, great final solo

Something went wrong, a glitch at 4'00, and all the final solo is only played on the "treeble" chords, and he does not play the usual little thing.
And what is he saying at 8:35 about "yeah pitch in my guitar..."?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #235 on: May 09, 2013, 12:37:29 AM »
Local Hero

TgXpD7zTsMU

;)

what do you mean ?

Something went wrong, a glitch at 4'00, and all the final solo is only played on the "treeble" chords, and he does not play the usual little thing.

nothing went wrong at 4:00,
he played a note which is out of tune intentionally,
he does this sometimes, it's not an error
(Solid Rock from Knebworth90 is another example)

the video posted in this thread (super zoomed in that moment) clearly shows that he does it intentionally
but there was no need for that

any decent guitarist who knows all the scales he plays can confirm you this

Listen to Turin version @ 5'40'' and you will find that this famous part usually getting cheers from the audience is not played in Milan the day after. To my memory, in 20 years and nearly 50 gigs attended I have never witnessed SOS performed without it.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:50:26 AM by ds1984 »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #236 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:31 AM »
Local Hero

TgXpD7zTsMU

;)

what do you mean ?

nothing went wrong at 4:00,
he played a note which is out of tune intentionally,
he does this sometimes, it's not an error
(Solid Rock from Knebworth90 is another example)

the video posted in this thread (super zoomed in that moment) clearly shows that he does it intentionally
but there was no need for that

any decent guitarist who knows all the scales he plays can confirm you this

The usual bit @ 5'40'' is missing in Milan...

and then ?

he did it intentionally, the following part is pretty strange too

Because he had some problem with one or more string that he couldn't play it and had to change the solo. I noticed while performing the solo, always playing the more treeble strings (G/B/E) but not on the bass sounding ones (E/A/D).
That sort of problem already happened once in 2010 on BR.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2013, 01:08:11 AM »
Well, whatever the reason, the Milan version of SOS was not as good as Turin to my ears.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.