Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 17:2013.05.18, Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 27205 times)

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
I am actually more saddened by the fact he played Sultans the very next night in Liverpool. Anyone understand the rationale behind that? I tried playing along with the excuse that he may have just forgotten to play it up here but that doesn't soften the blow at all. It really does hurt....a lot!

Like a previous poster said - there are a many people (I would say in the thousands) at each show that bought their ticket on the basis they would hear it played.

It bugs me like nothing else ever has done and I think only an explanation from the great man himself will help to soothe it.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
I am actually more saddened by the fact he played Sultans the very next night in Liverpool. Anyone understand the rationale behind that? I tried playing along with the excuse that he may have just forgotten to play it up here but that doesn't soften the blow at all. It really does hurt....a lot!

Like a previous poster said - there are a many people (I would say in the thousands) at each show that bought their ticket on the basiais they would hear it played.

It bugs me like nothing else ever has done and I think only an explanation from the great man himself will help to soothe it.

Agreed.  :thumbsup :clap  SOS should stay in the set from now on.   :)

Offlinestefankock

• Camerado

Like a previous poster said - there are a many people (I would say in the thousands) at each show that bought their ticket on the basis they would hear it played.

With all due respect to you and everyone else who shares your view, the man has played Sultans for 35/36 years straight. If he now feels that he can only do it justice by not playing it at every show anymore then I can respect that. He doesn't owe us that song, in fact .. he doesn't owe us anything. He records music, puts it out on cd and after a while does a tour. If you don't like the music he put on the cd you don't buy a ticket for one of his shows. Quite simple actually !

It saddens me that people appearantly still going to the concerts just for the Dire Straits songs. C'mon, the man has moved on .. did so already 21 years ago after the last Dire Strait concert. I agree that Sultans is an iconic song, but so are Brothers In Arms and Money For Nothing in my opinion. I haven't heard anyone about the fact the the first isn't played at every show either since 2011 and the second one was dropped completely after the 2005 tour.

June 7th will be my 6th MK concert ... and I have been to each of the 5 before this one with an open mind. Sure, I would be slightly disapointed when he doesn't do Sultans on June 7th ... but it will be one slight disapointment over 1 song he didn't sung, but great pleasure about the 16/17 songs he did sing !
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:52:06 AM by stefankock »

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
With all due respect to you and everyone else who shares your view, the man has played Sultans for 35/36 years straight. If he now feels that he can only do it justice by not playing it at every show anymore then I can respect that. He doesn't owe us that song, in fact .. he doesn't owe us anything. He records music, puts it out on cd and after a while does a tour. If you don't like the music he put on the cd you don't buy a ticket for one of his shows. Quite simple actually !

It saddens me that people appearantly still going to the concerts just for the Dire Straits songs. C'mon, the man has moved on .. did so already 21 years ago after the last Dire Strait concert. I agree that Sultans is an iconic song, but so are Brothers In Arms and Money For Nothing in my opinion. I haven't heard anyone about the fact the the first isn't played at every show either since 2011 and the second one was dropped completely after the 2005 tour.

June 7th will be my 6th MK concert ... and I have been to each of the 5 before this one with an open mind. Sure, I would be slightly disapointed when he doesn't do Sultans on June 7th ... but it will be one slight disapointment over 1 song he didn't sung, but great pleasure about the 16/17 songs he did sung !
+1'000'000 :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
The way he sings and plays guitar  
            Still brings me to tears

Offlinewateroftyne

• Guitar George
The Newcastle show was incredible. The sound was amazing, which is no mean feat for the Arena, which is usually horrible.

I have no complaints about the setlist. Yep, I'd love to have heard Cleaning My Gun and Our Shangri-la, but I didn't miss SoS at all.

Whenever it's been played on recent tours, it's had a definite 'let's get this one out of the way' feel to it, and it's best put out to pasture.

For a bit of controversy, I'll add that I'm not a fan of the R&J intro. I didn't like it in the 80s, and I don't like it now. In fact it's worse now, because it also sounds dated.

The fan club seats were a little bit disappointing. We were four rows back, but at the end of the outside block. I'm still aching from craning my neck to look at the stage...

None of this was enough to detract from an incredible night. They just get better and better.

Love Expresso

Thanks for your review. Very cool pic!

LE

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
The bottom line is MK just like any other musician doesn't just do it because he loves it. There is a financial reward at the end (of a) perfect day:-)

If not he would tour for free and live off the back of royalties that is indisputable. And the CDs would be free too. They cost very little to produce these days and downloads even cheaper - free!

Any artist should never ever forget their roots. SoS made the band what they were and hoisted MK into stardom. Yes the 1st album was a classic but only on the back of SoS. People are nostalgic. They pay

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
The bottom line is MK just like any other musician doesn't just do it because he loves it. There is a financial reward at the end (of a) perfect day:-)

If not he would tour for free and live off the back of royalties that is indisputable. And the CDs would be free too. They cost very little to produce these days and downloads even cheaper - free!

Any artist should never ever forget their roots. SoS made the band what they were and hoisted MK into stardom. Yes the 1st album was a classic but only on the back of SoS. People are nostalgic. They pay

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Listening to the Newcastle stick I have a strong "Alchemy" feel of it.
Nigel is used in a "cameo" way, exactly the way Mel Collins was used before Chris Wite (over)saxophonized everything.
2013 sounds a bit like 1983 :) IUTC reminds of TWL, and Going Home with the piano intro (but without to much synth) sounds like Alchemy. Quite nice...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I like the photo with MK playing GB.  I always loved the sound of his white Strat on STP in 2001.  I'd love to hear him play Sultans on it! :P
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Nigel is used in a "cameo" way, exactly the way Mel Collins was used before Chris Wite (over)saxophonized everything.
2013 sounds a bit like 1983 :) IUTC reminds of TWL, and Going Home with the piano intro (but without to much synth) sounds like Alchemy. Quite nice...

I disagree. mel Collins was far more used then Nigel :
Portobello belle (fantastic interaction wioh mark ! my fav version of this song)
Tunnel of love
Two young lovers
solid rock
going home

the way Nigel is used on romeo is a little bit strange : is it a "clin d 'oeil" ? I can't see the point

after listen to going home 2013, I'm sorry to say that Alchmey is long gone....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet

Portobello belle (fantastic interaction wioh mark ! my fav version of this song)
Tunnel of love
Two young lovers
solid rock
going home

the way Nigel is used on romeo is a little bit strange : is it a "clin d 'oeil" ? I can't see the point

I can see your points.
What do you mean long gone ? You mean Alchemy better or 2013 better ?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

Tunnel of love
Two young lovers
solid rock
going home

I can see your points.
What do you mean long gone ? You mean Alchemy better or 2013 better ?

I meant alchemy far far far better  :)
my english is bad but I wanted to say that Mark didn't managed to reach the Alchemy level

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 40 queries.