Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 24:2013.05.28, Royal Albert Hall, London, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 23846 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Replacing Sultans with Gator Blood is like replacing Mozart with Justin Bieber...:(

Nope - more like quality with quality!!
(odd remark there??!!)
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Replacing Sultans with Gator Blood is like replacing Mozart with Justin Bieber...:(

I'm still astonished by your comments, Herlock  ;D

"Marbletown is the new TOL", "sultans /gator blood is similar to Mozart / Bieber".... uuh ? :o  :smack

I can understand your disapointment or your enthousiasm, but I think  it goes a little bit to excessiveness  ;D ;D

the abyss between Mozart and bieber......well how to describe this ? :hmm I don't know, but certainly not between 2 MK's songs  :lol :lol

BTW, I like Gator blood, and especially the live version, and even if it's not one of his best tunes, it's clearly not one of his worst...

And I like Right now too... ;)
Well I can say excessive things when I'm passionate...:) but you can read that I can also temper my views, I also wrote that being a MK song GB is not a bad song ! Just that it is no replacement for Sultans, which I think everybody agrees.
As for MT and TOL, I never intended to say that they are similar, just that they received a similar extension treatment live...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Forgive me Herlock, but I presume you haven't attended the 'RAH' shows thus far?? Only your comment with regards replacing SOS with GB desturb me... In that IT IS a suitable replacement 'live'!! To have heard both tunes played there over the last two nights has been awesome but it has got to be said again and a lot agree 'I couldn't care less what MK plays' because right now he is playing so well that it just doesent matter!! GB stormed the RAH last night!!! Onwards and upwards!!
(MK is that good that there were actually standing ovations for the majority of the concert from us 'front-row' AMITers and others last night!!)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:51:57 AM by knopflerfan »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Dare to ask .... does anyone happen cameras for a live recording on film? It will not be .... yet still hope.  ???

I videoed 'IUTC' & 'GB' from front row seat - going to you tube later today...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Forgive me Herlock, but I presume you haven't attended the 'RAH' shows thus far?? Only your comment with regards replacing SOS with GB desturb me... In that IT IS a suitable replacement 'live'!! To have heard both tunes played there over the last two nights has been awesome but it has got to be said again and a lot agree 'I couldn't care less what MK plays' because right now he is playing so well that it just doesent matter!! GB stormed the RAH last night!!! Onwards and upwards!!
(MK is that good that there were actually standing ovations for the majority of the concert from us 'front-row' AMITers and others last night!!)
I have written at length, many times, on this forum, that I would'nt care what the setlist would be to enjoy a MK concert; that he does not *owe* us anything, that he is entitled to play whatever he wants to play; go and read the comments on the first show (Bucharest) and you will see that I was the first one to say that jumping at Guy's jugular to complain about the setlist, from people who did not attend even the show, was not right !
So I think that I do not deserve a trial for radicalim here :)

And because I am not excessive, I think I *do* have the right, this being said, to make comments about the setlist in a fan forum. Not that these comments will affect in any way my enthousiam to go to the shows (I have added dates this year !). Not that I would complain in any way to Guy's forum, I've always considered this as a lack of respect.

Unless this has become North Korea, I think saying that Sultans is iconic whereas Gator Blood is average and I would prefer the former over the latter does not warrant a death sentence :) After all, they are just.... songs ! :D

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
No soucy Herlock, and I must say I often agree with what you say on this forum  :)

I totally agree that Sultans is iconic, and Gator blood isn't.
It's just that the Mozart/Bieber comment made me laugh !  ;D And I found it a little bit excessive regarding the comparaison.  :)

nothing wrong  :)

I hope you will enjoy your gigs  :) (this tour I can't  :'()

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
No soucy Herlock, and I must say I often agree with what you say on this forum  :)

I totally agree that Sultans is iconic, and Gator blood isn't.
It's just that the Mozart/Bieber comment made me laugh !  ;D And I found it a little bit excessive regarding the comparaison.  :)

nothing wrong  :)

I hope you will enjoy your gigs  :) (this tour I can't  :'()
[/quote
I have to admit that my Mozart/Bieber comment was a bit too much.
It's just that as much I wanted the setlist to vary, I think the core DS subset (Sos/RaJ/TR/Bia/optionnally SFA) should stay the way it is. At least if no other iconic songs are not introduced.... If this set was replaced with DTTW/WDYTYRG/TOL/The Man's too strong, I'm sure nobody would complain :D
Actually I'm rather happy, because TR is kept, and to me this is even more iconic than Sultans. I'm proud it's still played, and well played, despite the "karaoke mode" (partially alleviated by Jim this tour, the piano plays a bit the role that sax played in the OES tour). And we've got definitive versions of Sultans on video (e.g Alchemy, Live Aid) whereas for TR the only one we've got (Alchemy) is fantastic but a bit too rough for my taste...

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
Bieber is richer than Mozart was. End of discussion.  8)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Bieber is richer than Mozart was. End of discussion.  8)

And Bieber is a too easy target, often misused, he is a teenager pop star and should be treated as it and respected for that.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
GB ... Just that it is no replacement for Sultans, which I think everybody agrees.

No, I do not agree. ;) Sorry! ;D

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
GB ... Just that it is no replacement for Sultans, which I think everybody agrees.

Which is very fine, I'm a freedom of speech fanatic ! I do not share your opinion but I respect it ! :)

Offlinenaif

• Camerado

Very funny taste you have ;D

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
I also like Gator Blood but don't like it as a replacement for Sultans.
The ideal solution for me would be to play both  :) , and rather drop some other songs instead (e.g. I used to could, Paraguay, Speedway, Marbletown,...)
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
I also like Gator Blood but don't like it as a replacement for Sultans.
The ideal solution for me would be to play both  :) , and rather drop some other songs instead (e.g. I used to could, Paraguay, Speedway, Marbletown,...)
Except IUTC, I would not drop any of the songs you mention in favor of Gator !

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer

Which is very fine, I'm a freedom of speech fanatic ! I do not share your opinion but I respect it ! :)

Haha, just posted it because I'm one of those exceptions. ;) It's not to attack you of course. ;) Just felt the need to respond... ;D

Very funny taste you have ;D

Yes I do. I even like done with bonaparte... (go ahead DutchEssy, shoot me). ;D ;D ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 38 queries.