Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 30:2013.06.09, Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 14292 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
i for one would be interested to hear tonights' sonny.

Me too.  Not one of my favourites but it was impressive on the 2012 tour.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
Hmm..how the winds suddenly changed for Sonny

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Hmm..how the winds suddenly changed for Sonny
I dislike the song (one of the very rare MK songs that i dare to make such a strong statement about). Neither the "melody" (if such a word can be applied to such a repetitive pattern) nor the lyrics appeal to me.
This having been said, the impro in the guitar solo is quite clever and I can understand that jazz lovers can appreciate it. Although i'm not into jazz I suprised myself having pleasure with some of the variations of the solo.
All in all, nice solo but not enough to turn a boring song into a great song, sorry.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
i for one would be interested to hear tonights' sonny.

Me too.  Not one of my favourites but it was impressive on the 2012 tour.

When there are soooo manyyyyy great songs to play, I agreed that Sonny can be put to rest at some points.   :thumbsdown  I still think songs like Bluebird and Go Love will make perfect songs LIVE.  It will be nice to start the second part of the tour with a complete set of new songs.  ( our dream ! )  ;D  But keep SOS at all costs. ;D ;D

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
If we have to have a Sonny Liston song, I think I'd prefer the one from the new album. And I agree about Go Love and Bluebird - MK seems to think they wouldn't work in concert, but I think they're terrific songs. He's a great songwriter, but I'm not sure he's always the best judge of the quality of his own material.

Love Expresso

I am pretty pessimistic about this "second leg" of the tour referring new songs - I am quite sure that the set we have now will do it until the end - maybe changing Diamonds with Tupelo, Sultans or not Sultans, Gator Blood or Sonny. Maybe Brothers in Arms, or Piper.
No new songs anymore. That's the usual routine.

That said, we should be happy to have quality recordings from the complete tour. 2010 the usb recordings started mid-tour at London and had pretty much all the same set lists apart from some slightly changes. Compared with the first leg of the 2010 US tour, this time we had many more new songs played - in 2010 I remember Remembrance Day as a suprise, otherwise the set was fixed pretty soon. So it's an improvement. Applause to the decision to release the complete tour on USB (except the decision to NOT release all nights from RAH and to obviously NOT release a Blu-ray from this awesome band...)

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
I am pretty pessimistic about this "second leg" of the tour referring new songs - I am quite sure that the set we have now will do it until the end - maybe changing Diamonds with Tupelo, Sultans or not Sultans, Gator Blood or Sonny. Maybe Brothers in Arms, or Piper.
No new songs anymore. That's the usual routine.

That said, we should be happy to have quality recordings from the complete tour. 2010 the usb recordings started mid-tour at London and had pretty much all the same set lists apart from some slightly changes. Compared with the first leg of the 2010 US tour, this time we had many more new songs played - in 2010 I remember Remembrance Day as a suprise, otherwise the set was fixed pretty soon. So it's an improvement. Applause to the decision to release the complete tour on USB (except the decision to NOT release all nights from RAH and to obviously NOT release a Blu-ray from this awesome band...)

LE
I remember in 2010 we got "The fish and the bird" (if this can qualify as a "new" song) quite late in the tour. It is not impossible that Redbud Tree and TLWNF will surface at some point as they were soundchecked. And Mark really love to give us ANISLA in Paris (in 2010 and 2011). Still at least 2 of the supposlely 36 songs rehearsed would be missing. I'm surprised that we did not get STP in the UK, I thought the fact that they played it in the Range Rover gig with Nigel would have make it a good candidate for saxophonization. and WOL was played with sax too in that gig, although I hate WOL I would have loved to hear that out of curiosity. Also, they played MFN and it has been 8 years since it was not performed in a real tour, would have been possible. Oh well. I have stopped trying to guess Mark's mind. I guess nobody can, not even himself :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
I'm not sure he's always the best judge of the quality of his own material

I think it's the case for most of artists, whatever the art.

I guess that many directors don't like very much their most famous films, many composers/writers prefer albums/songs that are note necessarily their "best" albums/songs, and so on...

Maybe the artist is not the best person to judge his art ?  :think

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Nice video peeking through the audience of TR with some different playing in the final solo.  Nice version:

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
I'm not sure he's always the best judge of the quality of his own material

I think it's the case for most of artists, whatever the art.

I guess that many directors don't like very much their most famous films, many composers/writers prefer albums/songs that are note necessarily their "best" albums/songs, and so on...

Maybe the artist is not the best person to judge his art ?  :think

exactly  :thumbsup
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
i wish they could put Song for Sonny in a metal box, take it somewhere random, blind folded, in the middle of the night and bury it with no chance of ever finding it again.... just my opinion  :smack

Again I wouldn't care what MK play's 'Live' and would quite happily listen to 'Sonny'. Mind you the wouldn't care bit isnt right because I can't stand R&J anymore and will seriously think about joining Pottel in vacating my seat next time!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

I'm surprised that we did not get STP in the UK, I thought the fact that they played it in the Range Rover gig with Nigel would have make it a good candidate for saxophonization.

I like the term "saxophonization.  :thumbsup  ;D

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I'm surprised that we did not get STP in the UK, I thought the fact that they played it in the Range Rover gig with Nigel would have make it a good candidate for saxophonization.

I like the term "saxophonization.  :thumbsup  ;D

LE

Yes, if it isn't a word - and it most certainly isn't - then it should be! ;D

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Nice video peeking through the audience of TR with some different playing in the final solo.  Nice version:

Wow, just listened to the SB version. Awsome! :clap
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Wow, just listened to the SB version. Awsome! :clap

And isn't his singing great at this gig too.  Check out R&J, HA, PTtE and P.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 42 queries.