Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Why no live dvds/blu rays?  (Read 10626 times)

Offlineeiricd

• Guitar George
Why no live dvds/blu rays?
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
it's shocking that the only decent dvd of Mark's solo years is the one with E.Harris

any reasons given for this? any theories? are there shows that were filmed but not released? if so, why?

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
Re: Why no live dvds/blu rays?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »
Financial perspective, or Mark doesn't like the thing called a concert dvd. I believe the latter
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
Financial perspective, or Mark doesn't like the thing called a concert dvd. I believe the latter
It seems that Mark has a problem with video, and not sound.
I correlate this with the new concert recording policy starting 2005: ok for audio and still pictures, but no video allowed. In 2010 there was the infamous "finger of death" to retaliate against filmers. Although this year he does not seem to care, despite the numerous video posted on youtube...
Don't know why... he still accept to be filmed, including on stage, for documentaries... so it is a really mystery to me.
Financially speaking, the RLRR DVD was a flop. Maybe this explains that... Although I believe a "pure" MK DVD would sell better than an MK/EH combo...

Anybody knows what the chances to have BBC4 released on DVD are ? and how complete would that be ?

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »
"Live" is "live" and cannot be conserved in some kind of "recording" - I guess in Mark''s view this is a contrariety.

LE

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »
It seems that Mark has a problem with video, and not sound.
I correlate this with the new concert recording policy starting 2005: ok for audio and still pictures, but no video allowed. In 2010 there was the infamous "finger of death" to retaliate against filmers. Although this year he does not seem to care, despite the numerous video posted on youtube...
Don't know why... he still accept to be filmed, including on stage, for documentaries... so it is a really mystery to me.
Financially speaking, the RLRR DVD was a flop. Maybe this explains that... Although I believe a "pure" MK DVD would sell better than an MK/EH combo...

Anybody knows what the chances to have BBC4 released on DVD are ? and how complete would that be ?

His "finger of death" carry on started in 2008 and probably reached the heights in Athens where he changed the lyrics to WAM, pointing and waving his arms at the crowd.  Even swearing if I recall.  Quite unacceptable behaviour IMO.  His policy was to stop people who film from spoiling the enjoyment of others, but with Mark's antics that's exactly what he was doing!

The BBC4 thing won't be released IMO because if it was intended to be they would have played more commercial songs like Sultans and BIA etc.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 08:11:03 PM »
I think that the decision of doing a live dvd is more about the record company than MK himself, although I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinelfblaauw

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »
How were the sales of the Alchemy-DVD? Did it quite well?  If MK didn't like DVD's at all he surely would have forbidden the release of Alchemy.

Lars B.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
Mark is not interested in working on live recording but allow to release them.

For the Alchemy DVD/BR  I don't know if Mark was in position to veto it as he had already  given his approval on the final work at the time of the video tape release and thus don't own the commercial control on it anymore.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »
Mark is not interested in working on live recording but allow to release them.

For the Alchemy DVD/BR  I don't know if Mark was in position to veto it as he had already  given his approval on the final work at the time of the video tape release and thus don't own the commercial control on it anymore.
I think Alchemy was a bone throwed to the fans: without it, there would be no version of Sultans, TOL and TR on video ! I can imagine that Mark ok'ed it because:
- It costed nothing, it was one of the very rare recordings the band did by themselves, so no fight for the rights (for Wembley'85 it would have required to go and discuss with Channel 4). It was ready out of the box, and Chuck Ainlay who recovered the tapes was enthousiastic about both quality of performance and quality of sound.
- Mark's clothing on Alchemy (red jacket and shoes) is a little less ridiculous than the cow-boy shirt of Live Aid, the sleevless blue T-shirt of Wembley, and the clown costume of Sydney'86 :)
- Alchemy sound, being more sober than BIA tour recordings (no overdriven-to-death drums, less overdrive in the guitar, less "80s" sounding synth) fits better with what Mark is doing today (very clean sound, no artefacts) and hence he was not hostile to releasing it.
- And of course, it was a legendary concert with probably the best possible sales perspectives. Not sure if this was a commercial success though.

Alchemy is great, but this was 30 years ago. Alchemy II is more than needed... :(

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 11:43:45 AM »
Although we have the lovely audio from all the concerts we attended we agreed that a Blu-ray would be excellent but to be honest I don't know how realistic that would be?

To regain the 'buzz' of a few weeks ago we watched 'RLR' last night and we played it through our '3d' bluray and Tele set-up complete with soundbar!

We are able to uprate Non 3d dvd & blu-ray to '3D' through our system and by jove it was awesome!!
The sound was incredible too!!

Come on 'PCM' with the technology these days lets have an up to date release of 'The master' doing what he does best - Live!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »
- It costed nothing, it was one of the very rare recordings the band did by themselves, so no fight for the rights.

Where did you read that?
Wasn't the record company that paid for it?

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 07:59:48 PM »
- It costed nothing, it was one of the very rare recordings the band did by themselves, so no fight for the rights.

Where did you read that?
Wasn't the record company that paid for it?
What I mean is that it was not recorded by/for a TV channel...

Love Expresso

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »
Although we have the lovely audio from all the concerts we attended we agreed that a Blu-ray would be excellent but to be honest I don't know how realistic that would be?

To regain the 'buzz' of a few weeks ago we watched 'RLR' last night and we played it through our '3d' bluray and Tele set-up complete with soundbar!

We are able to uprate Non 3d dvd & blu-ray to '3D' through our system and by jove it was awesome!!

Come on 'PCM' with the technology these days lets have an up to date release of 'The master' doing what he does best - Live!

That's very cool obviously! I agree that the sound of the DVD is awesome. Guy has a lot to do with the high quality of the sound I understand?
I am not sure however that PCM has hear about a thing called "Blu-ray" or 3D...  :hmm

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 10:43:28 PM »

That's very cool obviously! I agree that the sound of the DVD is awesome. Guy has a lot to do with the high quality of the sound I understand?
I am not sure however that PCM has hear about a thing called "Blu-ray" or 3D...  :hmm

LE

MontreuxSound has  ;)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 42 queries.