Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350435 times)

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Rock and roll hall of fame
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:40:11 PM »
Hi folks,
Evident that Mark Knopfler is my favorite artist in music, but it is not the only artist I listen: people like jj Cale, Dylan, Floyd, Clapton,  Morrison, Neil Young, Simon, Springsteen and so on make music that really like too.
Much of these artist are members of famous Rock and roll of fame museum - Cleveland Usa.
Mark Knopfler as leader of Dire Straits, had composed, played guitar, produced songs like Sultans Of Swing, Tunnel of love, Telegraph road, Money for nothing, On every Street & pubblished Brothers in arms world's best selling album having sold 30 million copies worldwide.
Mark Knopfler as guitar player/songwriter/producer  had performing for Dylan, V. Morrison, Atkins, Clapton, Marvin, McCartney, Jones, Newman, America, Lynott, Chieftains, Tina Turner, Harris, Buddy Guy, BB King, Phil Everly, Bill Wyman, Scotty Moore and so on.
Mark Knopfler as solo career ha pubblished 7 album well executed just to mention Sailing to Philadelphia & Get Lucky ...very millestones....... plus album with Chet Atkins, Emmylou Harris & Notting Hillbillies.......what else to add?
I've always wondered WHY our MK is not a member yet in this historical museum of music.
Someone knows how to give some opinion on this.
Thanks
straitsway75
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:05:20 AM by dustyvalentino »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »
You said it!  I don't care really.  In fact, I really quite like the fact he isn't.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 03:51:27 AM »
I don't know all the artists who are in that Rock and roll of fame museum , there will be a list for sure,
but I think that there are over a thousand great musicians/bands (some less known) who are not in.

Marks musical goal is not to achieve a place in the Rock and roll of fame museum , I guess .

Are some of my other big friends like: Randy Newman ,John Prine, Greg Trooper, David Olney , Chip Taylor , Eric Taylor,
Robert Earl Keen, Joe Satriani ,EC, Paul Brady etc already in?
If not I must have a bad taste of music.................. :hmm
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
You said it!  I don't care really.  In fact, I really quite like the fact he isn't.

Me too. :)  Mark doesn't seem to care if he's in or not. We fans actually don't give a hoot about it either. :wave

OfflineRoland Dent

• Banned
  • Local Hero
  • Fan since '78
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »
When it comes to mainstream music wor Marky is not on the radar in the USA.  He just isn't in the music library of most USA radio stations.
Beeb banned off every UK internet forum I joined so don't expect too much in the way of "group think"

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
When it comes to mainstream music wor Marky is not on the radar in the USA.  He just isn't in the music library of most USA radio stations.
That's because the majority of the over-the-air radio stations over here are top-40 crap. With the exception of a few special songwriter oriented shows on a local classic rock station..I don't listen to the radio...not worth the aggravation. As for the Hall of Shame...it's just a popularity contest...and I agree with sweetsurrender in saying that I'm glad he's not in.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:55:22 AM »
I think that although MK is so charismatic as a composer/guitarist/producer, he is  a bit misunderstood outside his fan base.
I was listening the other night a radio producer, who after he played SOS, he felt oblidged to say a few words about MK. He said that MK likes to strech his solos out of porpotion (like Santana!!!) and that at during the recording of SOS the producer had to fade him out!!!
Of course he was totally mistaken and apart from not doing a research before saying any of these stupid things, I understood that he thought that MK is over rated. And many people that clasify music, find that DS and MK represent the old guard and this is not a good thing to say, since it means old, rich, with nothing new to offer, etc.

And, who cares if he is in the hall of fame or outside playing in the street corner. I would be at the street corner with him.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineRoland Dent

• Banned
  • Local Hero
  • Fan since '78
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 04:01:36 AM »
Camerado:  All the best USA stations have been ringfenced by outfits like Clearchannel.  The UK is excluded from online listening.  My fave station was from Gastonia NC. We have the best radio station in the world from the BBC and it is called Radio 4.  It is free too as long as you do not have a TV.  Don't ask why..haha.  Anyway when you have the odd half hour look up ZAK FM from here in the UK and you will find a nice station for streaming.
Beeb banned off every UK internet forum I joined so don't expect too much in the way of "group think"

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »
And, who cares if he is in the hall of fame or outside playing in the street corner. I would be at the street corner with him.
+1  :D
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
'And, who cares if he is in the hall of fame or outside playing in the street corner. I would be at the street corner with him'.....also for me.
This post was intended to bear witness to the inadequacy of Hall of fame not the opposite.
Bye
straitsway75

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
Something that has bothered me for a number of years now, is that commentators, reviewers, announcers, and the like always refer to him as "former frontman of Dire Straits"   Or something similar.    I still listen to DS--Communique being my favorite album/cd--but Mark Knopfler is nearly 20 years out from Dire Straits.   I admit that here in the US, I have to add . . . "Dire Straits?" when explaining my favorite singer/songrwriter to people.   Only then do many of them recognize the name, well, not even the name, just the group.      And it is so nice to talk to someone who recognizes the name and knows some fairly recent music of his.

Still, I wish that the reviewers, etc, would let him and his music of the past 17 years stand under the name Mark Knopfler, rather than a past incarnation.     Just my dollar's worth.   :)    Inflation, you know.   
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 12:55:13 AM »
Something that has bothered me for a number of years now, is that commentators, reviewers, announcers, and the like always refer to him as "former frontman of Dire Straits"   Or something similar.    I still listen to DS--Communique being my favorite album/cd--but Mark Knopfler is nearly 20 years out from Dire Straits.   I admit that here in the US, I have to add . . . "Dire Straits?" when explaining my favorite singer/songrwriter to people.   Only then do many of them recognize the name, well, not even the name, just the group.      And it is so nice to talk to someone who recognizes the name and knows some fairly recent music of his.

Still, I wish that the reviewers, etc, would let him and his music of the past 17 years stand under the name Mark Knopfler, rather than a past incarnation.     Just my dollar's worth.   :)    Inflation, you know.
It's worth more than a dollar IrisRose  ;D. OMG if I had a nic...errr..dollar for everytime I heard an 'entertainment expert' refer to Mark as the 'former frontman' for DS..I'd be..well..I'd have a lot of dollars!  ;D I want to just grab them by the collar and yell at them  IT'S BEEN OVER SEVENTEEN YEARS YOU IDIOT! Then I remember where I live..and calm my nerves with a dose of something like "Follow the Ribbon"..always works.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 01:19:39 AM »

I don't think that is only a problem in US,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when I say "I am a fan of Mark Knopfler" (offcourse Dutch spoken), a lot of people 
pull up their eye-brows (frown) .............than I only say "Dire Straits"........and they understand with mostly the kind response  "Dire Straits..........yeahhh that's a great band"
And when I add to it that the band DS doesn't exists anymore since 1992, they feel sorry for me.
But when I go on and say....after that Mark Knopfler went solo.........I see the same WHO, YOU SAY :hmm on their face.
In pubs and bars only DS hits come along , and when they know me, the one who put up the song tries to get eye contact for a thumb up,
which I always kindly give offcourse.

But visa verse , not long ago I run into a guy who did audition as guitarist for a band in Holland ,
he ended up in my local pub  his acoustic guitar with him , after some blabla bla we started to strum some songs on his guitar,
which most of the people in knew.
When  the guitar was put in my hands again I choose to play a John Prine song "Angel from Montgomery" 
nobody sung along except for the American guy , after the song he asked me if I knew john prine's "All the best" ,
I said yes and I start playing and he sung.......we both were flabbergasted ,he for the fact that somebody in Holland knew John Prine,
and I that john Prine is so well known in the US. because I had never met somebody in person who knew John Prine before and there was somebody who knew at least two songs  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:43:46 PM by enlight »
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
In France I'd say the same as Enlight : Knopfler is relative unknown compared to Dire Straits.

But I would add that in France, Dire Straits doesn't have a "cool" reputation (like e.g. floyd), it's often called "cheesy" music, "fm-80ies-pop-commercial music" which I disagree of course, but most of my colleagues-firends-family see them as an "aged" and "dated" band, while they would prefer bands like U2, Cure, Depeche mode from the same era.

I discovered DS in 88, and since this date, I rarely had the sensation of  listen to a "trendy" band, even during the 90-93 period

OfflineRoland Dent

• Banned
  • Local Hero
  • Fan since '78
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
On occasion I have heard Mark play...not in person..I have never seen him in person..ever ( I don't need to) top class fast/slow blues rock and role..and boy, can he play that well! 

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.