Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350167 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1335 on: April 16, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »

Legally, DS are Mk and John.

And MK wasn't there so DS weren't there to be inducted.

"Fact" going by your logic. :)

Anyway, this is petty and pointless, especially as I don't care whether a tiny proportion of people are bothered by it. I'll still listen to the music with the same enjoyment that I ever had, this makes no difference to me.

But a legal member of the band was there to induct the band. So at least half of the legal band was there, and "legally" inducted the band.

I insist that my opinion is the same than yours, but the fact is still that last saturday Dire Straits were inducted in a ceremony in front of public and that will be broadcasted and MK wasn´t there, and that will be historically the last DS public appearence, without MK, but with John, so, legally, John represents DS.

I get that we have opinions about it but, again, the fact is the fact, and it doesn't matter we don't like it.

And, again, I insist, my opinion is pretty much the same than yours.

I think it's not difficult to get. But it looks it's difficult to accept.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #1336 on: April 16, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »
"Anyway, this is petty and pointless, especially as I don't care whether a tiny proportion of people are bothered by it. I'll still listen to the music with the same enjoyment that I ever had, this makes no difference to me"

Me too. I'm listening more :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1337 on: April 16, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »

Anyway, this is petty and pointless, especially as I don't care whether a tiny proportion of people are bothered by it. I'll still listen to the music with the same enjoyment that I ever had, this makes no difference to me.

But a legal member of the band was there to induct the band. So at least half of the legal band was there, and "legally" inducted the band.

I insist that my opinion is the same than yours, but the fact is still that last saturday Dire Straits were inducted in a ceremony in front of public and that will be broadcasted and MK wasn´t there, and that will be historically the last DS public appearence, without MK, but with John, so, legally, John represents DS.

I get that we have opinions about it but, again, the fact is the fact, and it doesn't matter we don't like it.

Seems it's difficult to accept that these are opinions, not facts. :)

My opinion is that DS weren't there.

When words like "legally" start getting used it just highlights how crazy this discussion is.

You believe DS were there. I say they weren't. Both valid opinions with reasoning behind them but literally no way of proving that one or the other is "fact".
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #1338 on: April 16, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »

If it can help you grieve, cause you seem to have a hard time, you should compare this 'historic moment' to the walk of fame on Hollywood Boulevard.

You may not know it but Clint Eastwood, George Clooney, George Lucas or Robert De Niro don't have a star. Because they declined the induction.
To own a star and be inducted you have to be nominated, you have to give your consent and last but not least you have to pay a $30K fee.

And keep in mind that having a star on Hollywood Boulevard is far more prestigious than this Hall of fame thing. Still, not everyone feels the need to be recognized. At the end of the day it's more or less an ego thing.
History is remembered by people like us and we keep a legacy alive, or not.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1339 on: April 16, 2018, 01:14:45 PM »
There is no grieve from my part, at all.  :)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1340 on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:33 PM »

If it can help you grieve, cause you seem to have a hard time, you should compare this 'historic moment' to the walk of fame on Hollywood Boulevard.

You may not know it but Clint Eastwood, George Clooney, George Lucas or Robert De Niro don't have a star. Because they declined the induction.
To own a star and be inducted you have to be nominated, you have to give your consent and last but not least you have to pay a $30K fee.

And keep in mind that having a star on Hollywood Boulevard is far more prestigious than this Hall of fame thing. Still, not everyone feels the need to be recognized. At the end of the day it's more or less an ego thing.

But it doesn't change the fact that DS were inducted at the Rock and roll hall of fame, and the members inducted were John, Alan and Guy, and MK wasn't there, and that was the last DS public appearence, without MK.

I agree with the rest of what you say, but facts and my own feelings about it, doesn't coincide. To me it's a bit sad that this would be the last public appearance in DS history but, my opinion and how I could feel about it, won't change what happened. And history is history doesn't matter if you remember it or not. It's written in stone already.

And again, that I find it sad, doesn't means there is any grieve. Actually, I find funny the denying feeling behind most of the answers to the fact I pointed out.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1341 on: April 16, 2018, 01:22:17 PM »

When words like "legally" start getting used it just highlights how crazy this discussion is.

You believe DS were there. I say they weren't. Both valid opinions with reasoning behind them but literally no way of proving that one or the other is "fact".

Whatever

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's so funny that what happened last saturday in a event with public was an opinion.

It will be ever funnier that HBO will broadcast also an opinion!!!!

Crazy times, LOL

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1342 on: April 16, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
could we say that "musicaly" and "artistically" they weren't there (I agree with you Dusty) but "administratively" and "legally" they were there (I agree with you Jbaent)  ;D

ok som will say that a rock band is an artistic thing only, and not a firm or a job office, but unfortunately, it's is too

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1343 on: April 16, 2018, 01:29:41 PM »
could we say that "musicaly" and "artistically" they weren't there (I agree with you Dusty) but "administratively" and "legally" they were there (I agree with you Jbaent)  ;D

ok som will say that a rock band is an artistic thing only, and not a firm or a job office, but unfortunately, it's is too

That's what I'm saying since the very beguining.  :thumbsup  :clap

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #1344 on: April 16, 2018, 01:31:46 PM »

But it doesn't change the fact that DS were inducted at the Rock and roll hall of fame, and the members inducted were John, Alan and Guy, and MK wasn't there, and that was the last DS public appearence, without MK.

I agree with the rest of what you say, but facts and my own feelings about it, doesn't coincide. To me it's a bit sad that this would be the last public appearance in DS history but, my opinion and how I could feel about it, won't change what happened. And history is history doesn't matter if you remember it or not. It's written in stone already.

And again, that I find it sad, doesn't means there is any grieve. Actually, I find funny the denying feeling behind most of the answers to the fact I pointed out.

I know,  the grieve thing is just an image  :)
You take this RnRHoF thing very seriously. I'm sure you'll have forgotten about it in a couple of months.

DS already made history a couple of times anyway.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1345 on: April 16, 2018, 01:35:28 PM »
I don't take it seriously at all, you are confusing things.

It's a public act and a public appearance, and that it's not related at all with if I take it seriously or not.

Offlinebinone

• Lady writer
« Reply #1346 on: April 16, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
Now Mark surprises everyone announcing a real final  DS concert in behalf of any charity, and saying "I do it because I want, not because anybody forces me"

And plays TOTT with Alan and his brother David in the band, with a solo at the end 6 minutes long. His badass son on the drums.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1347 on: April 16, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »
Now Mark surprises everyone announcing a real final  DS concert in behalf of any charity, and saying "I do it because I want, not because anybody forces me"

And plays TOTT with Alan and his brother David in the band, with a solo at the end 6 minutes long. His badass son on the drums.

8) 8) 8)
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1348 on: April 16, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »

Whatever

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's so funny that what happened last saturday in a event with public was an opinion.

It will be ever funnier that HBO will broadcast also an opinion!!!!

Crazy times, LOL

Anyone reading the thread can see that I never said that the event didn't take place or that John, Guy and Alan weren't there so I'm not sure what the point of this post was.

What I said was that DS weren't there, because MK wasn't there, so, in my opinion, this does not constitute their last appearance. Others have a different opinion as to what constitutes DS.

I will never accept that DS without MK is really DS.

If MK died and John, Alan, Guy, Terry, Hal, David, whoever went out on tour as DS, would that then be DS? Not for me.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1349 on: April 16, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
I know, Dusty, I was just joking.

I agree with you, DS without MK, for me, is not DS, and that's your opinion, my opinion, and many others opinion.

But last saturdat there was a public ceremony where DS were inducted and three members attended the induction, that's what I mean with fact. Its something that happened.

That we don't accept it as last DS appearence, is our opinion. An opinion I agree. but what happened on Cleveland last saturday wasn't the RARHOF opinion, or John, Alan and Guy opinion, was a fact, three members being inducteed as DS in a public ceremony, in all the newspapers, tv news, websites etc, they are talking about DS induction, and that's what will last in their history.

That we don't care about what newspapers, tv, radios, websites etc says, is again our opinion, an opinion that I agree.

Wow, I think I never used so much the word opinion in my life, Dusty... when we met next year in Edinburgh, don't let me use the word again!  ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.