Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350418 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1380 on: April 17, 2018, 03:23:21 PM »
We all have things in our lives that we just don't want to deal with for various reasons. It seems this is happening with Mark and we have to respect it.

Looking forward to the new album!

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Exactly !! You summed it up!! That's how I feel as well !!

Envoyé de mon Moto C Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

And I :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1381 on: April 17, 2018, 05:50:12 PM »
Denae:

I hope you can tell us why there wasn’t an induction speech for Dire Straits. John’s comments were gracious but it was just odd. Can you tell us why it happened that way?

GF:

Yes, simply that the people who were asked, decided not to show up after learning that Mark wasn’t to be there. I’m not sure of the timing of their decisions so it may not be as cruel as it seems. For example, it may not have been known to them that the three of us would take the helm.

Something doesn't ring true here.

It was well publicised that MK wouldn't be there.

I find it very hard to believe that somebody pulled out at the last minute and that they didn't have time to secure a replacement.

Also, they should name and shame whoever pulled out.

SAD!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1382 on: April 17, 2018, 05:58:31 PM »
Denae:

I hope you can tell us why there wasn’t an induction speech for Dire Straits. John’s comments were gracious but it was just odd. Can you tell us why it happened that way?

GF:

Yes, simply that the people who were asked, decided not to show up after learning that Mark wasn’t to be there. I’m not sure of the timing of their decisions so it may not be as cruel as it seems. For example, it may not have been known to them that the three of us would take the helm.

I find it very hard to believe that somebody pulled out at the last minute and that they didn't have time to secure a replacement.

SAD!

Completely agree
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #1383 on: April 17, 2018, 06:34:48 PM »
A lot of things seem strange regarding the HOF. They didn't even want to pay for the bandmembers flights etc?  Somebody from the HOF should be responsible that the whole segment involving DS would run smoothly and therefore also they should be responsible for someone being there to introduce the band.  They must have had a big interest in this.

I think Guy is right. Lets say it was a guy like Sting who was supposed to do it and he realized very late that MK wasn't there. He would look kinda bad introductions the remains of DS and all interest from him regarding publicity would be lost (atleast his agent could have this  opinon)  Im pretty sure a star og his magnitude wouldn't have been following the speculations if MK was there or not. Not all are hardcore MK/DS fans.  And why would Guy lie about it? Everything has been quite embarrasing and GF has been quite honest about the matter.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1384 on: April 17, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »

When John talks about the lost of drum track...is it a diplomatic way to talk about Terry replacement by Omar ?  ::) or did I misunderstand ?

I don't think he'd lie just to be diplomatic so they must've lost the drum tracks.  Why Terry couldn't have re-recorded them I do not know.  Maybe he was busy so Omar was brought in?  I was always under the impression it was because Mark didn't like his drumming on it, and it seemed that even Guy thought they only lost a single track!
[/quote]

Someone put the story here few years ago I think.
yes Mark told tery that he wasn't pleased with his drumming so he had to replaced it by Omar's part
But I felt surprised when i heard John with this lost of drum track story that I never heard before. So i wonder if it was the same story, but told "differently" ?  ::)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1385 on: April 17, 2018, 07:04:24 PM »

When John talks about the lost of drum track...is it a diplomatic way to talk about Terry replacement by Omar ?  ::) or did I misunderstand ?

I don't think he'd lie just to be diplomatic so they must've lost the drum tracks.  Why Terry couldn't have re-recorded them I do not know.  Maybe he was busy so Omar was brought in?  I was always under the impression it was because Mark didn't like his drumming on it, and it seemed that even Guy thought they only lost a single track!

Someone put the story here few years ago I think.
yes Mark told tery that he wasn't pleased with his drumming so he had to replaced it by Omar's part
But I felt surprised when i heard John with this lost of drum track story that I never heard before. So i wonder if it was the same story, but told "differently" ?  ::)
[/quote]

I would like to believe that the tracks were lost and Terry was busy so Mark called Omar for the re-recordings.  Then, a story got around that Mark wasn't happy with Terry's work and that was why Omar was brought in.  It would be nice if that was the true story anyway!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1386 on: April 17, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
Denae:

GF:

SAD!

Yep.  I was thinking exactly the same things.

Name and shame the person (or persons) that don't think the three guys were important enough to turn up for.  They did the dirty on Guy so now he has the opportunity to do it on them.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1387 on: April 17, 2018, 07:19:00 PM »
Denae:

GF:

SAD!

Name and shame the person (or persons) that don't think the three guys were important enough to turn up for.  They did the dirty on Guy so now he has the opportunity to do it on them.

Yet, you reap what you sow...

Everything could have been handled so much better if only MK and PCM knew something about (modern) communication.

It wasn't well published until local press just a couple of days before the ceremony confirmed that MK was gonna be a no-show.

Also, please explain why another artist should be hung out to dry because he or she cancelled when MK did just the very same thing. Yet MK is celebrated for his no-show, it was his full right, it was not the thing for MK's personality and so on and on and on. I don't get it. :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:25:47 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #1388 on: April 17, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
A lot of things seem strange regarding the HOF. They didn't even want to pay for the bandmembers flights etc?  Somebody from the HOF should be responsible that the whole segment involving DS would run smoothly and therefore also they should be responsible for someone being there to introduce the band.  They must have had a big interest in this.

I think Guy is right. Lets say it was a guy like Sting who was supposed to do it and he realized very late that MK wasn't there. He would look kinda bad introductions the remains of DS and all interest from him regarding publicity would be lost (atleast his agent could have this  opinon)  Im pretty sure a star og his magnitude wouldn't have been following the speculations if MK was there or not. Not all are hardcore MK/DS fans.  And why would Guy lie about it? Everything has been quite embarrasing and GF has been quite honest about the matter.

Fair point, though unlikely that Sting was the one who was intended to induct the band as he was in Eastern Europe at the time, promoting his collaboration album with his new best mate Shaggy. I would be interested to know who pulled out though, because no doubt the three of them would have felt quite awkward up there, having to induct themselves. But I thought they handled it all very well.

Time to move on now I think. We have a new album and the Local Hero musical to look forward to, as well as a probable tour.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:29:08 PM by Rolleyway Man »

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1389 on: April 17, 2018, 07:39:38 PM »
Denae:

GF:

SAD!

Everything could have been handled so much better if only MK and PCM knew something about (modern) communication.

It wasn't well published until local press just a couple of days before the ceremony confirmed that MK was gonna be a no-show.

Also, please explain why another artist should be hung out to dry because he or she cancelled when MK did just the very same thing. Yet MK is celebrated for his no-show, it was his full right, it was not the thing for MK's personality and so on and on and on. I don't get it. :)

MK never agreed to do it.

Whoever the mysterious person was agreed to do it, then changed their mind, seemingly at the last minute, leaving the three of them in an embarrassing situation and DS as the only band ever to not be inducted properly.

Not the same.

At all.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1390 on: April 17, 2018, 08:38:25 PM »
Mark loves fans.

REALLY?  Does MK really like the fans?  Some days, im not totally convinced....

Yes... but those who attend his shows front row!
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1391 on: April 17, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
Denae:

GF:

SAD!

MK never agreed to do it.

Whoever the mysterious person was agreed to do it, then changed their mind, seemingly at the last minute, leaving the three of them in an embarrassing situation and DS as the only band ever to not be inducted properly.

Not the same.

At all.

probably something happened

like they asked MK to do at least a video or something and he refused or didn't even answer :lol :lol
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1392 on: April 17, 2018, 09:45:23 PM »
John Illsley on FB: "Being inducted into the 2018 @rockandrollhalloffame was a once in a lifetime experience - there is nothing like it anywhere in the world. Although it would have been great to play, it was still a huge honour to be there. Congratulations to all the other bands - Dire Straits is in good company. "

mmmmmm

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #1393 on: April 17, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »
It's difficult to organize anything if there's nothing but silence on the other side. I would not be surprised one bit if HoF never even got past the "leave a message after the beep".

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1394 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:25 PM »
John Illsley on FB: "Being inducted into the 2018 @rockandrollhalloffame was a once in a lifetime experience - there is nothing like it anywhere in the world. Although it would have been great to play, it was still a huge honour to be there. Congratulations to all the other bands - Dire Straits is in good company. "

mmmmmm

can't find it
it's on his page ?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 38 queries.