Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350139 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1515 on: April 20, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
Thank god I was off during the last few days, it’s better to comment on this now that the anger has subsided.

First of all, I may now form a definite opinion about Guy, and it’s a great one. What has happened over the last couple of weeks helped me figure him out and what a true gentleman and incredible human being the man is. I’ll never read his answers the same way again. I get it now.

And what to say about John? Wow! Pure class.

Regarding Mark, when even Guy and John give away clear signs of disappointment and dissatisfaction you better be damn sure the line has been crossed. Mark’s awkwardness has reached unacceptable levels and caused embarrassment to two of his closest friends. Those guys deserved better.

I’m not saying Mark should’ve shown up and performed just to please Guy and John but releasing an official statement right off the bat and recording a thank you little video for the ceremony as any normal person would do would have done the job. He’d still be perceived as an eccentric and reclusive rockstar but would have avoided being considered an a-hole like most people see him now.

Anyway, it’s good to be back.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:44:13 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #1516 on: April 20, 2018, 04:50:44 PM »
As for Alan, he behaved quite well. You could tell he was about to go off and say something more incisive but he stayed cool. Good on him.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1517 on: April 20, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »
As for Alan, he behaved quite well. You could tell he was about to go off and say something more incisive but he stayed cool. Good on him.

He knew Guy would deck him! 👊
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #1518 on: April 20, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »
I broadly agree with what Val has said. Personally I couldn’t give a rat’s arse about the Hall of Fame (though I certainly don’t begrudge Dire Straits being inducted) but I am more concerned as to how all of this might have affected MK’s relationship with the likes of Guy and John. Guy did say on his forum yesterday that the event ‘hasn’t changed a thing’, and I very much hope that is indeed the case so we can all move on from here and eventually put all of this unpleasantness behind us.

I agree with you, Rolleywayman, I couldn't give a damn about the HoF, but I am concerned about the fallout it will create with the press and relationships with John and Guy.  It would have been so easy for MK to have just made a statement that he couldn't attend because of pressure of work, etc, but it is the absolute silence that is so bewildering!   :hmm

Guys are probably fine.
Keep in mind they're where they are because of MK. Which means no MK, no RnRHoF induction in the first place.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1519 on: April 20, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »

He knew Guy would deck him! 👊
i couldn't resist but dying lol here! :D
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1520 on: April 20, 2018, 09:33:39 PM »
Must be difficult for MK - as with the tribute stuff it's something that he can't control and that seems to frustrate him.
i wouldn't not bet on that!
 ;)

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1521 on: April 20, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »
Kramo: May I know, what was Mark honest reaction, when you gave him to his award from the RRHOF?

GF: best not

----------------

Mark is consistent :)

I'd say rude...

yes, you could say it's rude but depends on what is the angle from you are looking at.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1522 on: April 20, 2018, 10:26:01 PM »
Totally punk rock was the Sex Pistols calling the HOF a piss stain.

But MK snubbing was also cool.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk
Yes.
and I love this sense of humour either!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #1523 on: April 21, 2018, 01:09:12 AM »
God, I'm reading comments on mk.com ...

Offensive about MK on the official MK website? What's happening??? World and people... :hmm
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #1524 on: April 21, 2018, 01:44:10 AM »
God, I'm reading comments on mk.com ...

Offensive about MK on the official MK website? What's happening??? World and people... :hmm

mmm - Agreed.  Mk's lack of attendance seems to have really hit a nerve with the American fans (or ex fans as they may be now!)
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #1525 on: April 21, 2018, 02:58:17 AM »
This has caused much more negative press in the US than in Europe so I wonder how the next possible US tour or promo of the new album will be affected?

I gather most have realized that if they have the desire to see and hear Mark play guitar, that's one thing they won't be able to do at the R&R HOF.  :P

This whole event will be of little consequence to a future US tour.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #1526 on: April 21, 2018, 04:14:09 AM »

Cleveland, 14 April 2018
1. John Illsley makes acceptance speech
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Cleveland, 14 April 2018
2. SOUNDBITE (English) John Illsley/Recording Artist:
"Well, you know, it's been a tricky sort of journey, this one, but I think that we all agreed that we should come here and represent the band, and just basically get on with it really."
SOUNDBITE (English) Guy Fletcher/Recording Artist:
"And to say thanks, especially to the fans who kind of got us here."
John Illsley: "Yeah, I mean, nothing happens without the people coming out and seeing you play buying the music, even now they buy on the on the download thing, the Spotify thing, or whatever it is you got over here. And so, somebody has got to actually sort of commit themselves to something, you know, and go to the journey with you."
(Reporter: "Did you wish that you guys could perform here?)
John Illsley: "I would like to have performed here."
Guy Fletcher: "I would love to have performed."
John Illsley: "Maybe we will one day. Surprise everybody. You never know."
HBO
Cleveland, 14 April 2018
3. John Illsley talks about Mark Knopfler
MARK KNOPFLER SKIPS ROCK HALL CEREMMONY AS DIRE STRAITS INDUCTED
When plans fell through to find the right person to induct Dire Straits into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Saturday (14 APRIL 2018), bassist John Illsley asked if he could do it. Illsley says he wrote his speech in 15 minutes and had to read it because he didn't have time to memorize it. Frontman Mark Knopfler and guitarist David Knopfler did not attend. Illsley says the other members of the band agreed to "come here and represent the band and just basically get on with it, really." Illsley and keyboard player Guy Fletcher say they would have loved to have performed at their induction, but they did not.
Known for a plethora of hits, including "Money for Nothing," "Sultans of Swing," and "Romeo and Juliet," Dire Straits gained entry into the Rock Hall on their first attempt.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:23:04 AM by allen »
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #1527 on: April 21, 2018, 04:18:38 AM »
This has caused much more negative press in the US than in Europe so I wonder how the next possible US tour or promo of the new album will be affected?

I gather most have realized that if they have the desire to see and hear Mark play guitar, that's one thing they won't be able to do at the R&R HOF.  :P

This whole event will be of little consequence to a future US tour.

Respectfully, I dont think is guaranteed MK will get away scott-free from this.

Within the press circles there is a mixture of bewilderment and more than a couple of hints of MK being ungrateful....(a sentiment echoed in the many fan comments sections for various websites)

Within fan circles, again......bewilderment right through to outright anger at MK's actions.

People aren't daft, they will remember and could well view MK's future albums and tours with a different take.

Big chunks of MK's loyal fanbase could (from an interest perspective) buy the new album.....BUT the stinger is when it comes to tour tickets.  How many of those people already disgruntled with MK's "contempt for fans" will not choose to buy tickets as (and this is another gripe with MK) is the static set-lists and the think to themselves..."Why would i want to hear Speedway of Nazareth" for the 8000th time.....?

Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #1528 on: April 21, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »
Anyone listened to this interview?
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1529 on: April 21, 2018, 11:11:51 AM »
Reading all this tralala, I am quite puzzled really.
We have an expression in France that says "to be drowned in a glass of water" that seems to apply here.
Sure, it would have been nice to have MK here says few words for a reunion.
Sure, John did a really fine and classy job in an awkward situation.
But frankly...
What is the legitimacy of this RRHOF thing to dictate the future of an artist ?!
Out of proportion...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:01:12 PM by herlock »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 38 queries.