Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350556 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
I always voted for Nina and SR as well.

Abba are a better band than DS.

Unlikely they will perform. MK MIGHT agree if AC is uninvited.

Still think a concert like Live 8 is MUCH better choice for DS resurrection. Pink Floyd 2005, Dire Straits 20XX, makes sense...
I can't see even 0% of this happening on HoF occasion. Either that or Mark will drop down a few steps in my respectful people list.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »

I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO
NOT LIKE ABBA

Very good article:

https://isiria.wordpress.com/2008/08/06/i-hate-abba/
[/quote]

Of course we won't argue about ABBA or any other artist. Taste in music is rather hard to explain. Maybe some people are allergic to pop songs. However I should note that the article is not good at all. If you remove the direct references to ABBA and the titles of their songs, he could be referring to any big pop band ever existed, dare I say even the Beatles (since he is so keen to compare them with)  and the Stones, the Kinks and the Who. Even the Velvet underground, despite the fact that none of these groups are considered pop any longer, they were THE pop acts back in their heyday.Simply there was no disco back then. So this is another thing that he is not considering. What we consider pop, throughout the decades. He also name checks Ramones and Status quo, two bands that were not as popular as ABBA, having a more concentrated audience because of the type of music they played, which was in fact pop with an edge (3 chord punk the Ramones and 5 chord boogie Status, but after their 3rd record). So he also dislikes Ramones and Status quo. Phil Spector went on to produce songs for the Ramones, thinking they are the next big pop thing. He was wrong, their sales were adequate to sustain a record contract but not like ABBA. Somehow they were more influential than ABBA, but because of the same flaws they had with ABBA! And this is exactly the point. A pop song has flaws. Many flaws, in order to be liked by many people. Simplistic lyrics, kitsch outfits, instant and repeated hooks, over the top production, etc. Maybe we should reconsider Pink Floyd's work after Meddley, too and blame David Bowie for all his records after Honky Dory. 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »

I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO, I DO
NOT LIKE ABBA

Very good article:

https://isiria.wordpress.com/2008/08/06/i-hate-abba/

Of course we won't argue about ABBA or any other artist. Taste in music is rather hard to explain. Maybe some people are allergic to pop songs. However I should note that the article is not good at all. If you remove the direct references to ABBA and the titles of their songs, he could be referring to any big pop band ever existed, dare I say even the Beatles (since he is so keen to compare them with)  and the Stones, the Kinks and the Who. Even the Velvet underground, despite the fact that none of these groups are considered pop any longer, they were THE pop acts back in their heyday.Simply there was no disco back then. So this is another thing that he is not considering. What we consider pop, throughout the decades. He also name checks Ramones and Status quo, two bands that were not as popular as ABBA, having a more concentrated audience because of the type of music they played, which was in fact pop with an edge (3 chord punk the Ramones and 5 chord boogie Status, but after their 3rd record). So he also dislikes Ramones and Status quo. Phil Spector went on to produce songs for the Ramones, thinking they are the next big pop thing. He was wrong, their sales were adequate to sustain a record contract but not like ABBA. Somehow they were more influential than ABBA, but because of the same flaws they had with ABBA! And this is exactly the point. A pop song has flaws. Many flaws, in order to be liked by many people. Simplistic lyrics, kitsch outfits, instant and repeated hooks, over the top production, etc. Maybe we should reconsider Pink Floyd's work after Meddley, too and blame David Bowie for all his records after Honky Dory.
[/quote]

We have been informed in a previous post that "ABBA are a better band than DS" so perhaps the whole issue really lies with the criteria needed for entry in the first place.  According to Wiki:

"Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll."

In that case then popularity counts for a whole lot more than quality IMHO.  Why did they have a fan vote in the first instance if popularity was not a criteria?  A band never off the radio or TV is surely destined for this scrapyard of fame.  Good lyrics and musicianship has nothing to do with it. IMO it has more to do with having radio-friendly singles and making lots of TV appearances.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #183 on: December 14, 2017, 02:51:14 PM »
I think that Mark and David are in better terms now than Mark and Alan.
I also think that only Mark and John will go like for plaque event in Depford
But a little voice in my head says that I have to keep hope for something "special"...

The day Waters played again with PF at Live8 I was so nervous like if it was DK sharing a stage with MK again...

Oh... Let's dream.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #184 on: December 14, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »

[/quote]

We have been informed in a previous post that "ABBA are a better band than DS" so perhaps the whole issue really lies with the criteria needed for entry in the first place.  According to Wiki:

"Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll."

In that case then popularity counts for a whole lot more than quality IMHO.  Why did they have a fan vote in the first instance if popularity was not a criteria?  A band never off the radio or TV is surely destined for this scrapyard of fame.  Good lyrics and musicianship has nothing to do with it. IMO it has more to do with having radio-friendly singles and making lots of TV appearances.

[/quote]

Yes, even quality in the arts is a minefield. So I wouldn't even dare to go down this road, unless if it is to have a poke at the weirdness of our world.  Yet, trying to find some relevance, I would try to compare this with historical figures. So Field Marshall  Haig  is well known for all the wrong reasons and very influential to the future of England and the world, since he is to be blamed for the mindless loss of numerous young promising men. The same to n degree goes to Hitler, etc. He is perhaps more known than his opponents, Patton et all. He is more influential, even if it is in a negative way. So lets at least give ABBA this, while I enjoy listening to them, guilt free, since they are not Haig or Hitler.   

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #185 on: December 14, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
I think that Mark and David are in better terms now than Mark and Alan.
I also think that only Mark and John will go like for plaque event in Depford
But a little voice in my head says that I have to keep hope for something "special"...

The day Waters played again with PF at Live8 I was so nervous like if it was DK sharing a stage with MK again...

Oh... Let's dream.
Same here, I cried

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2017, 03:27:01 PM »
Not sure what Hitler has to do with it. Just wanted to say that ABBA is far more than just a Radio Pop Band with a lot of uncritical fans but are known for great composing, phantastic arrangements, unique vocals and timeless melodies. ABBA will never get outdated or "uncool" because it was music in the first way what was their aim and not being pop stars.

LE 

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
We wouldn't have ABBA if he had won? Only Wagnerian operas?  ;)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2017, 06:15:50 PM »
Not sure what Hitler has to do with it. Just wanted to say that ABBA is far more than just a Radio Pop Band with a lot of uncritical fans but are known for great composing, phantastic arrangements, unique vocals and timeless melodies. ABBA will never get outdated or "uncool" because it was music in the first way what was their aim and not being pop stars.

LE
There is the Hitler forum law. Something about "any discussion on any forum will mention Hitler at some point" or something like that. And no, I am not joking

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2017, 06:16:16 PM »
We wouldn't have ABBA if he had won? Only Wagnerian operas?  ;)
Muhahahaaa

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2017, 06:17:11 PM »
Wow I'm so happy for Dire Straits !! Let's cross our fingers and dream that MK DK JI and PW will come and perform during the ceremony in April 2018!!!

Envoyé de mon Moto C Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »

LE
There is the Hitler forum law. Something about "any discussion on any forum will mention Hitler at some point" or something like that. And no, I am not joking

Does it count if you were aware of this law? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law 

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2017, 06:48:09 PM »

LE

Does it count if you were aware of this law? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
Exactly what I meant ! Thnx

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2017, 07:06:12 PM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/dire-straits-john-illsley-on-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-w514034

Nice interview with John.
After reading this interview, I'm pretty certain if they do play it's going to be Mark, John, Guy, David and Pick.  No way they'll want to play with Clark.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 40 queries.