Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 342940 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2018, 11:30:52 AM »
Now I'n wondering if the secret project is a reunion album recording of Knopfler brothers.   :D

this morning I was listening to the album Communique with headphones on bike on the way to work.
It's one of my fav albums, but I hadn't listened to it for a while.
It struck me how good is the guitar interaction between Mark and David on this album, I think far more better than on the first one.

Rhythm interaction on Once upon a time : Mark on the left, David on the right. very groovy
Communique (the song) : very good playing by David (left channel, Mark is on the right) : nice arpeggions on the verse, funky rhythm on the bridge
Very very nice interplay by the two brothers on the 2nd solo on Angel of mercy : it sounds like they have fun together (Mark on the left, David on the right)
And sophitiscated rhythm interplay on Single handed sailor (Mark on the left, David on the right)

The two brothers at their best....

you remember the album "family style" by the Vaughan Brothers ? I know it's only a dream, and I don't even think of it, but hey...wouldn't it be amazing for the DS 40th anniversary, linked to the RoRHOF induction ?

Well all this family business aside at least it would be nice if Mark would guest on David's albums more, but really I just don't want to know the real state of their relationship, because I think the reality is pretty sad.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:33:33 AM by quizzaciously »

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #301 on: January 15, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »
How is it really? They parted in a hostile atmosphere (82) and Mark played the first album of David "Release" in 1983?

I've always wondered about that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:38:47 AM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #302 on: January 15, 2018, 01:51:51 PM »
How is it really? They parted in a hostile atmosphere (82) and Mark played the first album of David "Release" in 1983?

I've always wondered about that.

There is more...

When the "Sultans Of Swing" compilation was released, DK released a note in his site telling that he has been left out of the benefits of it regarding the songs in which he plays, and that he brought that to the court.

About eleven years ago it was published that DK was auctioning the first MK guitar. Apparently it was left in their parents house and MK never went back to take it. That's why David had it. The auction was closed and during "Kill To Get Crimson" promo pictures, MK was pictured with that guitar and he included it in the "Guitar Stories" documentary.

In a BBC Documentary called "Brothers In Arms" about brothers in rock bands, David mentioned that they only met in weddings and funerals with a cold "Hi David" and that's all.

And that's only three stories we know.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #303 on: January 15, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »

David knopfler some years ago about his brother.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:39:59 PM by cannibals »

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #304 on: January 15, 2018, 04:27:09 PM »
It is very interesting. The brothers often have a communication problem. I know something about it

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:03:37 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #305 on: January 15, 2018, 06:04:21 PM »

David knopfler some years ago about his brother.
the song is lovely. the action took some time before beaching in so far from from the Clyde or even better, around haul away!
 ;)
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #306 on: January 15, 2018, 07:13:40 PM »
It is very interesting. The brothers often have a communication problem. I know something about it
Still,  that is not a total communication breakdown. If they want, they can. I stay positive on this one

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »
Me too. We do not know everything. Maybe it looks better than we think
Clear as the day

Love Expresso

« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2018, 07:31:57 PM »
It's touchIng to see all those little resemblances in gesture, laughing, facial expressions, habits.. they are brothers without a doubt! Obviously both have a lot of their Dad in them..

LE

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #309 on: January 15, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
It is true. I thought about it when I was watching this movie. Same movements, etc. I have not listened for a long time Davida.
Clear as the day

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that Mark was too tough on David and his playing. We don't know how far it went, how hurt David got and stuff. We know very little in fact. Every family have issues and the Knopflers are no different. I just hope that one day they leave it all behind and start over. It's pretty clear that David is up to peace making.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinecaci99

• Guitar George
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2018, 12:51:17 PM »
  I do get the impression that David is pictured as the "victim" in here, maybe I'm wrong.

What we do know is from David side, because he is the one often questioned about Mark and of course a co-founder of Dire Straits, but we never listen from Mark about it. Even if questioned, I doubt he will give an answer to please the tabloids curiosity.

Remember it is Mark we are talking about, a very tough and strong personality. As any of us must have experienced in their own life, it is very hard to work and live close to such personalities, you either accept their greatness and find a way around to make your ideas forward (John Illsley), or you part ways and say you would like to explore your own ideas instead of working for those of some one else. The parting away might not be as graceful though, leaving scars which even time can not heal. Mark even had a fall out with Dylan after "Infidels", his own idol, that shows how strong he is and how much he believes in his own way. That does not mean he is always right, but one must have a really hard time to convince him otherwise.

In his whole career Mark has taken solid decisions, producing his own albums as soon as it was possible for him, exploring new ways and arrangements album after album not afraid of public reaction, leaving Dire Straits at sabbatical at their peak to work on more down to earth projects, leaving them for good to pursue his own style splitting in the way with Ed Bicknell, a great manager.

If the two brothers get together, it will be a great story, but if they can make great music together, that should be the aim, I am here for the love of Mark's music after all.
don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #312 on: January 17, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »
Everything is true. In one of the interviews, I remember how Mark, when asked about the cooperation with Bob Dylan, said that it was not easy cooperation.
Clear as the day

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #313 on: January 17, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »
Everything is true. In one of the interviews, I remember how Mark, when asked about the cooperation with Bob Dylan, said that it was not easy cooperation.
Long forgotten now. They got along really well during their tour of last. The rest of the. And obviously did not, but mark DID interact with bob. The huge respect is mutual

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #314 on: January 17, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
Exactly.
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.