Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 351495 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #780 on: March 16, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
It’s unfortunate, because a lot of the time there’s actually some enlightening conversation on here. Then there’s other times when it seems like a MK hater’s society.

You know what's so funny? I once liked and loved this place because exactly the same reason as you, the enlightening discussions and friendly people and stuff. But over the last couple of years more and more often people come up like you or Liz always critizing not MK but almost everything anyone said.. really, some of you appear like PC police or MK's lawyer, or better his Mother... it really spoils this place for me since months...  wrong understood political correctness and a not healthy  form of discussion culture and insane gender opinions ("...you guys") add to a new atmosphere of totally unrelaxed discussion form. I once said it, if you don't like the discussion level, come by and add something precious instead critizising others for their posts.

Discussion needs effort. Everything else is just talking.

Had to get this off my chest. Go on now and kill me.

LE
LE:
My reference to "...you guys" was not intended to be gender-specific.  (English doesn’t have a plural “you”; in the US, people have adopted ‘you all’ or ‘you guys’).  You made the assumption that this was a gender attack – which it wasn’t.  I could assume that your reference to MK’s “Mother” was meant to be a (non-existent) return gender attack, but I just don’t care…

Many people have posted their dissatisfaction with AMIT over the past couple of years; about the ‘whiners’, the PC police, the negativity (i.e. “MK hater’s society’), the flowery fans, etc.  There has also been a lot of complaining about the complaining.  I feel that AMIT is becoming a hostile environment; new members are often ridiculed, sarcasm has become caustic, and personal attacks are rampant.  I prefer a more friendly environment, and hope that AMIT becomes this once again.   (Also, some may mistake my ‘friendlier’ with ‘politically correct’, or think I am trying to limit discussion.  However, I am absolutely in favor of a healthy discussion, and I don’t ask anyone to be PC.)  In other words, I am not asking for people to agree, but I do appreciate a healthy environment.  And if my presence here spoils this place for you, I understand you can block my posts.

Also, my name is Lis – not Liz.     

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Love Expresso

« Reply #781 on: March 16, 2018, 08:26:53 PM »
  :lol

LE

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #782 on: March 16, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
I wonder if you guys don’t criticize family or friends when they screw up.

Mark’s been part of my life since I was child. I criticize him as I criticize my sister for having chosen the douche she married or my mate for his political views. When it’s all said and done love is still around and it’s all good. I only criticize Mark because I care about him and want him to love me back but we all know it’s a different kind of relationship where one end has the saying and all the other end can do is to accept it. But we are still here, because we never give up.

If what we say or want is irrelevant to Mark let’s at least accept each other, shall we. Everyone around loves Mark in their own unique way. Some are more tolerant, some are more affective, some are more judgemental, yes, but one shouldn’t tell others how to love.

I think I’m too sensitive today. It’s my latin blood boiling up within, sorry lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:45:02 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #783 on: March 16, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
I agree with you
Clear as the day

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #784 on: March 16, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
I agree with you

That’s a first  :clap :lol

Love Expresso

« Reply #785 on: March 16, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
My opinion is that I earned very hard the right to criticize him because of 33 years of insane fandom most of the time and far too many concert visits and stuff.

LE

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #786 on: March 16, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »

Mark’s been part of my life since I was child. I criticize him as I criticize my sister for having chosen the douche she married or my mate for his political views. When it’s all said and done love is still around and it’s all good. I only criticize Mark because I care about him and want him to love me back but we all know it’s a different kind of relationship where one end has the saying and all the other end can do is to accept it. But we are still here, because we never give up.

If what we say or want is irrelevant to Mark let’s at least accept each other, shall we. Everyone around loves Mark in their own unique way. Some are more tolerant, some are more affective, some are more judgemental, yes, but one shouldn’t tell the others how to love.

I think I’m too sensitive today. It’s my latin blood boiling up within, sorry lol
But I AM criticizing my family.  I am calling out the fact that AMIT has become so negative that people are openly rude to one another. 

If I don’t criticize MK, it might be because I don’t care about any the things that might upset others.  He misses a note?  Misses 20 notes?  Not a big deal for me.  He doesn’t do what I want him to do?   I’m sorry, I can’t will him to be a different person.   I am happy to be a fan, and when I can, I will go see him live. And when that isn’t fun for me anymore, I’ll stop going to shows.   

But finding fault with his decision to play or not play at the RRHOF?   This could be family obligations, band, fan, or health issues  -- or anything else that we may never fully understand.  I haven’t walked a mile in his shoes, and I don’t dare surmise his reason for not performing. 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #787 on: March 16, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »
My opinion is that I earned very hard the right to criticize him because of 33 years of insane fandom most of the time and far too many concert visits and stuff.

LE

Criticism is only negativity if perceived as such.  It is really another opinion and if people don't like it they should man up or challenge it.  Just keep it friendly though.

Opinions are all about showing respect and some people here are showing no respect for those who criticise.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #788 on: March 16, 2018, 09:08:28 PM »

If what we say or want is irrelevant to Mark let’s at least accept each other, shall we. Everyone around loves Mark in their own unique way. Some are more tolerant, some are more affective, some are more judgemental, yes, but one shouldn’t tell others how to love.

It took me a while to understand this, seriously. Explanations are always a good thing! I think I understand more on how you are thinking, but at the same time, I don't understand, because I would never treat family and friends that way. Differences

Sent fra min SM-A310F via Tapatalk

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #789 on: March 16, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
"But finding fault with his decision to play or not play at the RRHOF?   This could be family obligations, band, fan, or health issues  -- or anything else that we may never fully understand.  I haven’t walked a mile in his shoes, and I don’t dare surmise his reason for not performing"

I think the same

Clear as the day

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #790 on: March 16, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »
Back to the RnRHOF.  I can't imagine too many people on here in their heart of hearts truly thought there would be a reunion performance.  Perhaps a lot of wishful thinking from some but deep down? 

I certainly never expected it and although I thought he might turn up to accept it I'm glad he isn't as it would be rather embarrassing and a real slap in the face for everyone concerned.

He has been known to turn up to accept other, less prestigious awards though, notably the Edison Award in 2003 where he performed with the b-band WoL, Devil Baby and WII.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:14:45 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #791 on: March 16, 2018, 09:42:37 PM »
Elin, my jewish and austrian portions always try to keep me square but the latin bit is louder than anything. What can I say, we like to fight and to love with equal intensity lol

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #792 on: March 16, 2018, 10:31:45 PM »
So some people here claim that MK has isuues with DS. Anyone even care for what these issues might be ? Could it be that he looks back at (most) of this time as something bad? I have a feeling it was already too much by '86 when they finished BIA tour. It seems in the years after he was doing a lot to try to find something a more low key profile with NHB and with Chet. Anyway with the huge pressure and commitment of the record deal it seems he wasvery much forced to release OES and OTN andpromote these albums and go on an insanely long tour. All due to contractual agreements. Could just be the whole thing is not something he looks back on with too much fondness. And therefore isn't too excited for it. Who would  want the old sour as grape Mark Knopfler at this event anyway??

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #793 on: March 16, 2018, 10:37:29 PM »
Michael Oldfield's book is a fragment of Mark's conversation with John. It looks like Mark wanted to come back to DS. For me, on every street is a good bridge for the release of a solo album.
Clear as the day

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #794 on: March 16, 2018, 10:43:46 PM »
yes for sure OES was a fine album in many ways. But considering the commercial pressure it failed big time and some songs  seemed  forced and manufactured too much as replacements / carbon copies of WOL. MNF AND BIA.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 42 queries.