Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Why is Mark Knopfler so popular?  (Read 5923 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Why is Mark Knopfler so popular?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »
wonderful. now let's continue the actual topic, which, coincidentally, you started.
i do not think he's all that popular, and mostly coz he likes it to be the way it is.
it is well known he did not like the level of fame that came with the BIA album and to a lesser extent OES. compare his popularity with other artists having sold similar quantities of records, and you will realise he is not even close to their level of popularity, and he nurtures that. the other artists mostly nurture their level of fame.

Other artists you refer to do have more fame but I think MK's fans are very loyal and are far more interested in the intricacies of his work than fans of most other artists.  Most other fans just want to know what they are saying on twitter today but with MK it's different - we crave the detailed knowledge about everything to do with his music.

I don't think it's particular to MK fans, I believe that many other artists have a fan base with the same passion.

OfflineRoland Dent

• Banned
  • Local Hero
  • Fan since '78
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 01:04:58 PM »
MK is not going to get a number one hit on the pop charts that is for sure.  When I first heard SOS on my van (VW of course :thumbsup) back in '78 I was "blown away" as our cousins in the USA say.  So I bought the vinyl record and read the sleeve.  I saw the pic of the Knopfler brothers and thought how cool these two guys looked  Of course that was me hooked for the rest of my life.  I wore out the grooves on that LP.
Beeb banned off every UK internet forum I joined so don't expect too much in the way of "group think"

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
soooo,....why the question then? you seem to be the typical example of a knopfler nutter, you can reply your own question firsthand :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
Most other fans just want to know what they are saying on twitter today but with MK it's different - we crave the detailed knowledge about everything to do with his music.

Although I would not mind MK twittering... first hand news is always better than via John McC., Richard B. and Guy F., although they are all doing a great job of course  ;D

LE

which pop the question.....................what does Mark in his spare time during the tour? He sits behind Guy while he is typing his tour diary or writing songs (does he has access to his guitars or are they all in the big trunk) ?     
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 02:18:14 PM »

[/quote]

which pop the question.....................what does Mark in his spare time during the tour? He sits behind Guy while he is typing his tour diary or writing songs (does he has access to his guitars or are they all in the big trunk) ?   
[/quote]

If I were to guess, I would say he spends some time in the gym (but not nearly as much time as Richard), spends time on the phone with his wife & kids, and spends time playing/writing/practicing.  I doubt he's ever far from a guitar since Guy said he is always writing and, apparently, more than ever these days.  That would be my guess  :think
It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

OfflineRoland Dent

• Banned
  • Local Hero
  • Fan since '78
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »
Double S..my fave..love it.. :clap

He reads a lot.
Beeb banned off every UK internet forum I joined so don't expect too much in the way of "group think"

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »

He reads a lot.

I thought I knew all the nicknames.............who is Double S  ? ? ?  :think
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »

He reads a lot.

Does this makes any sense? I can't see the point of this comment.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRoland Dent

• Banned
  • Local Hero
  • Fan since '78
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »
I am as surprised as you are...at times I really cannot believe what I read on forums in general.  :think  Not kidding.  If I remember I was confused because the forum is running a parallel thread under "Why is MK so popular"  Of course it is easy enough to trace this with a few clicks, but I am certain this was the reason.

But back to the convo.  MK is a great reader.

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
Most other fans just want to know what they are saying on twitter today but with MK it's different - we crave the detailed knowledge about everything to do with his music.

Although I would not mind MK twittering... first hand news is always better than via John McC., Richard B. and Guy F., although they are all doing a great job of course  ;D

LE

When I saw MK in the hotel in Amsterdam, I ran into him on his way to the gym.
When he left the hotel, he had an acoustic guitar (case) with him.
So my guess would be that he's playing/practising, writes some stuff, reads a lot, goes to the gym, and he probably has a lot of contact with his 'homefront'.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »
Mark is not that popular (compared to some others). He has just a good following ground from the DS days.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
I agree, but this group seems not to be a small one. Don't you think that it is worth mentioning that he always sells out these kind of tours he is doing? 10 shows in Germany every time, the big halls, always as good as sold out... I think that's noteworthy. How many people do a six-show-stint at the Albert Hall, apart from EC maybe?

LE

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »
Excellent point!  I am anxious to see what venues are selected for the NA tour, and how "successful" the tour is (speaking in terms of ticket sales only...). 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
I agree, but this group seems not to be a small one. Don't you think that it is worth mentioning that he always sells out these kind of tours he is doing? 10 shows in Germany every time, the big halls, always as good as sold out... I think that's noteworthy. How many people do a six-show-stint at the Albert Hall, apart from EC maybe?

LE

Just count : 4500 by 6 is not that a big number for a town like London.

And getting RAH ticket for Clapton is much harder than Mark, Clapton could do a 6 weeks RAH residency and still selling out.

DS was huge, Mark solo got minor hits (WII being his biggest and nearly only noticeable one) but this is what Mark wanted, stepping down to an easier manageable size.

WTF do you think why Mark does not tour South America or Eastern countries.
And even in the US he does plays now moderatly small venues and has difficulties selling tix in some part of the country (southern for example).
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
I understand, but without WTF would be even nicer.  ;)

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 42 queries.