Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MARK KNOPFLER SIGNS WORLDWIDE DEAL WITH UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP  (Read 3778 times)

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:26:26 AM by naif »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: MARK KNOPFLER SIGNS WORLDWIDE DEAL WITH UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:20:40 AM »
Does this explain why a North America tour is now in the offing?

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:53:02 AM »

For sure...........that must have been a part of the deal and very logical
 I hope UMG has more respect for Marks music!!

So Long Warner Brother Records :wave
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:06:58 AM »

For sure...........that must have been a part of the deal and very logical
 I hope UMG has more respect for Marks music!!

So Long Warner Brother Records :wave

:thumbsup :thumbsup :clap :clap

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:44:09 AM »
Let's hope they "force" him to release a Blu-ray - evey tour....  ;D
maybe going through the back katalogue and releasing Wembley 1985 at last (Blu-ray of course)... and stuff..

So Mark really changes? Could someone with more insight into this stuff explain to me what it exactly means? He is going to the rival company? Only for distribution if I see it right - or is this now a classic "record comany deal" with them telling Mark what to do or not to do?

LE

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
So was the sticking point with Warner's, a refusal to release/promote a double album ?
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »
maybe going through the back katalogue and releasing Wembley 1985 at last (Blu-ray of course)... and stuff..

So Mark really changes? Could someone with more insight into this stuff explain to me what it exactly means? He is going to the rival company? Only for distribution if I see it right - or is this now a classic "record comany deal" with them telling Mark what to do or not to do?

LE

I don't think they will tell MK what to do or not. I can't imagine . So the whole deal I suppose is just a commercial thing. You distribute and do the commercials, I get x money per sold CD

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 01:42:45 PM »

LE

I don't think they will tell MK what to do or not. I can't imagine . So the whole deal I suppose is just a commercial thing. You distribute and do the commercials, I get x money per sold CD

Indeed Ingrid, I guess it was the "pressure" on Marks work and how to release stuff that let him to quit his deal with Warner Brother Records.
UMG is not gonna tell him what to do, and it its a great solution to reach the nice fans across the ocean again, I am sure Mark is delighted
for them and himself that the problem is solved. its no secret that Mark loves America and the Americans included South America and Canada offcourse!!!

OfflineRoland Dent

• Banned
  • Local Hero
  • Fan since '78
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »
Hey ... if any corporation, person or any criminal, or any ET or any animal things they can "force" MK to do anything he does not want to do they will be surprised at the outcome.

If there is anything on this planet that tries that they are in for a very long wait.  He will know what is coming before they know themselves.
Beeb banned off every UK internet forum I joined so don't expect too much in the way of "group think"

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
By the past UMG has proven that Mark was not artisticly totally free.

Since Mark is no longer a big seller wanabe things have changed.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineRoland Dent

• Banned
  • Local Hero
  • Fan since '78
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
Well..as I said when I joined this forum..disagreement is a good thing.  It is true enough that legal business contracts are binding.  On the other hand there are ways that the contracts can be anulled.  Same as a marriage can be anulled. 

In reality these large music companies have only, in my view, 10% of the power they once had.  As I posted on another thread in this forum, I was surprised how easy it was to use the torrent device to download music.

These big music companies know fulwell they no longer had the ogliopoly they once had.  The ability to listen music now belongs to anyone who has a mobile phone or any machine that connects with the internet.
Beeb banned off every UK internet forum I joined so don't expect too much in the way of "group think"

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
It is easier to do once you have already sold 100 000 000 albums to do what you want.

If you are starting now, a good recording contract is still much needed and compnay still have power on that matter, even much more than in the past because there are a lot less label to invest risky money in new talent that are not easy cash machine.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »
Is it not a good sign for us fans that he did this? I think we can expect some more records now, so no plans to retire really but writing on and on? Next double ablbum, please!!  :wave

LE

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
Is it not a good sign for us fans that he did this? I think we can expect some more records now, so no plans to retire really but writing on and on? Next double ablbum, please!!  :wave

LE

as I wrote:
I am sure Mark is delighted for them (the Americans ) and himself that the problem is solved. its no secret that Mark loves America and the Americans included South America and Canada offcourse!!!

and maybe a part off the deal CAN BE a live album release , don't expect A DS 85 release , or any DS release.
But UMG's first release "Privateering" has to sell first, maybe to tickle the people they add the BBC recording to it ;D
Ok ok  toooo much speculations, :-X I am sorry

Offlinestormbreaker

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
Our American fans have waited simply too long and could watch the entire album on YT. So I hope they respect Mark and will buy his album too but I think the sales figures are in Mark's disadventage because of this. The album Privateering isn't entirly new right now...

I hope he will do some more with bluesrock his next album. Let artist like Davy Knowles and Sonny Landreth guestplay on it! And have some real good folk/country numbers on that album too. I think Mark need to change a bit too, why their are so less guestplayers on his concerts? What he did at concerts like London 1996 (I wasn't attending ofcourse, way too young) was incredible. Much guestplayers, from Irish traditional to violin to Sonny Landreth.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 42 queries.