Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The 2013 Diaries from Richard and Guy  (Read 24774 times)

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
Re: The 2013 Diaries from Richard and Guy
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 05:03:45 PM »
They should travel by bus (a 5 star comfort bus) as they did il the early days ! And aircrafts for long distance travels !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »
Once again Bob shows he has the best touring organization.
His next fall tour is a pure gem : he stays a couple of days in each visited city.   :thumbsup

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »
His next fall tour is a pure gem : he stays a couple of days in each visited city.   :thumbsup

Smaller venues, higher prices?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »

Smaller venues, higher prices?
In Geneva same prices, same venue but only one show.
Not sure about the other venues.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »
They should travel by bus (a 5 star comfort bus) as they did il the early days ! And aircrafts for long distance travels !

Can imagine they don't!!! I don't want a 5*-star (or 6*or higher) bus for a trip longer than 2 hours. And I have been in them with champagne, wines and whatever more was available. Takes way too much time.
What they do is smart, only last nights trip I really can't understand, but it was a last minute decision to travel like this because the airportslot was earlier than expected (so yes, bad organized or changes in Italy, which I also can understand). Otherwise they would have a flight from Naples and be in Taormina before 12.00

Love Expresso

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »
It's fair to say that they had obviously some changes and some "italian" problems indeed - Isaac also has not delivered his latest post yet because of that... and he takes it serious! So the venue was changed very late. Not one of the best days of the tour to sum it up.

Interesting posts on this thread!

LE

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 03:08:43 AM »
MK is 63, Richard is 61,Glenn is 59 that's the (around) 60's group
Jim I don't know

John is 40, Mike 42, Guy 53, Ian 50

Guy doesn't complain about being tired. Ok a lazy day in between but I suppose we all have lazy days sometimes  :D

Ian Thomas is 50?  Acts more like 15!! :P

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »
Thanks for this thread! I've not read much of Richard before (is it for his friends and family or really for the general public?), Guys catering blog is a tad dull.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
Thanks for this thread! I've not read much of Richard before (is it for his friends and family or really for the general public?), Guys catering blog is a tad dull.

It's for the fans as well. You can click above. Different sites (mk.com, Guy, Richard and Isaac's blog are links in this forum.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
MK is 63, Richard is 61,Glenn is 59 that's the (around) 60's group
Jim I don't know

John is 40, Mike 42, Guy 53, Ian 50

Guy doesn't complain about being tired. Ok a lazy day in between but I suppose we all have lazy days sometimes  :D

LOL  I never thought MK was the eldest among the group.  Maybe Jim is?  Richard looks older than Mark I think. ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 06:32:15 PM »
Well, here I go! ::)  Guy's diary has gone downhill from the days when we had videos and Danny was interviewing the other band members etc.  He also has a catering issue - greedy guts! ;D  Then there's the replies he gives which range from arrogant to bizarre now.  Granted some of the questions are equal to this but that doesn't mean etc...

I guess we should give Guy the benefit of the doubt but anyone who posts this:
>Thanks. Whilst we understand certain songs will always be missed, the songs played are decided based solely upon OUR wishes.

certainly has arrogance issues.Anyone who works in the entertainment industry knows you have to give the paying public what THEY want and not be a bunch of self indulgent arses.I know Guy gets asked lots of silly questions but surely he can realise how foolish this attitude is?
I enjoy reading Richard's notes.He has a more relaxed attitude to it and this makes them more appealing(at least to me!)
It would be interesting to read John or Mike's thoughts but they are (still) stuck in Marbletown!

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »
Traveling non-stop is tough, so I kind of get Richard's frustration. I just returned home to the US after 3 consecutive shows in Italy and I was exhausted. That said, the band travels in absolute luxury - chauffeured Range Rovers, private jets, fancy hotels, premium wine and food etc. etc. so it cannot be that bad. I was constantly chasing buses and trains, and staying in cheap hotels. And I caught up with Issac and Jeroen in Naples and asked them how they did it - they said it was super hard, esp when you don't have a rock star's travel budget and don't speak the local language.

As much as I love the band, I agree that Guy does sound arrogant every now and then..."it is OUR SET LIST" he says. Yes, but loyal fans pay hard earned money for tickets and we don't mean badly when we ask for more variety. I said so on his forum but he still didn't get it...hmmph!
Spirits call from way beyond
Lord I may not disobey...

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 11:01:35 PM »
I only read Richard's these days. I like his take on preceedings. Guy actually bores me at times if I'm honest but lets be fair we are lucky peeps to get a peek from either of these guys. They don't have to do it.
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 11:04:07 PM »

As much as I love the band, I agree that Guy does sound arrogant every now and then..."it is OUR SET LIST" he says. Yes, but loyal fans pay hard earned money for tickets and we don't mean badly when we ask for more variety. I said so on his forum but he still didn't get it...hmmph!

Yes Guy, it is your setlist, but it sucks. It is boring.
WII is a powerless opener, Piper is lovely but not as a closer.
The last 45 minutes or so are the same as the last 2-3 tours.
The tour is good, the band near perfection with Jim back and Ian on drums. (Like him very much)
But the set is nothing new, nothing special, and nearly always the same. O.K. now and then a good change, but that's it.
Fans go mad because he plays DOTDS. Nice tune on the record, but no reason to go nuts only he plays 1 new TUNE.
He should have played more from Privateering. Go Love, Today is okay, Bluebird or whatever.
Every night something new. Instead: So far away again, TR again, Oh no: Romeo: I will get me a beer... :smack   :P

I went to Bremen, I enjoyed it until the autopilot after Postcards set in...
Marble
Speedway
Telegraph
So far
Piper

I went to Zwolle: same and imagine: without SOS!!!     what????????
O.K.
I went to Cologne (thanks Love Expresso)
O.K. with Nigel, who did not play much Sax. I missed the sax what Chris added to Romeo.
SL and GH at the end were O.K. but until that songs: same set-- ------------------------

Questions?
This tour is O.K. but did not blow me away. By far not
Love will find a Way

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »

Yes Guy, it is your setlist, but it sucks. It is boring.
WII is a powerless opener, Piper is lovely but not as a closer.
The last 45 minutes or so are the same as the last 2-3 tours.
The tour is good, the band near perfection with Jim back and Ian on drums. (Like him very much)
But the set is nothing new, nothing special, and nearly always the same. O.K. now and then a good change, but that's it.
Fans go mad because he plays DOTDS. Nice tune on the record, but no reason to go nuts only he plays 1 new TUNE.
He should have played more from Privateering. Go Love, Today is okay, Bluebird or whatever.
Every night something new. Instead: So far away again, TR again, Oh no: Romeo: I will get me a beer... :smack   :P

I went to Bremen, I enjoyed it until the autopilot after Postcards set in...
Marble
Speedway
Telegraph
So far
Piper

I went to Zwolle: same and imagine: without SOS!!!     what????????
O.K.
I went to Cologne (thanks Love Expresso)
O.K. with Nigel, who did not play much Sax. I missed the sax what Chris added to Romeo.
SL and GH at the end were O.K. but until that songs: same set--------------------------

Questions?
This tour is O.K. but did not blow me away. By far not

Knopfler is never..... NEVER gonna please every fan. Such a massive catologue of songs and I'm going to have to disagree that he should play what the paying public want. If that was the case the gig would last 8 hours plus. Anyone who plays music, or has any creative part of coming up with songs would understand that it's a very personal thing. It's actually all about playing what you enjoy as a musician. I don't buy the "paying audience" thing.... Never have done. Sorry, I don't mean to sound off but I honestly can't understand that mentality. We should be utterly pleased that knopfler goes out and tours still and gives so much pleasure to the world of music. The only thing I can suggest is if you don't like the sets etc.... Don't bother going. As a musician myself I honestly couldn't think of anything worse than trying to please everyone.... Of course even tougher for Knopfler after 35years+ of performing and material.
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 40 queries.