Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The 2013 Diaries from Richard and Guy  (Read 24777 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: The 2013 Diaries from Richard and Guy
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »
What about trying to please the majority then to create a great atmosphere and make sure most fans go home feeling content, happy and on a positive high? :)

I kind of hear what both of you are saying.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »
Of course he will never please everyone.
And I am happy that he puts out a new album every 2 years and tours so much.
I LOVE THEM ALL.
But when you tour every 1-2 years why play always the same?
We pay the tickets. He plays nearly always to the same guys.
They will not hear it again also. I cannot describe it but this tour did not touch me.
THE KTGC tour touched me. The set was always the same. really always. But I got into it.
This tour not. Maybe because after the 12 years of SFA again and TR and and and... my ears say: That's it... :disbelief
Love will find a Way

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »
What about trying to please the majority then to create a great atmosphere and make sure most fans go home feeling content, happy and on a positive high? :)

This is it. 99. 9 percent of people at the gig go to one show only.  MK is playing a majority of solo material and still getting a standing ovation. That is amazing.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 09:42:23 AM »
I have to agree with Steinei that the second part of this set list doesn't do it for me either - after Speedway, for me, the concert is done... The first part though is great ..  ;D

But I see where xxFordiexx comes from and I agree to that, too: We should be very grateful and happy that we have high quality concerts EVERY SINGLE TIME. Not such a thing as with Bob with him maybe drunk one day (apart from Glasgow nearly) or just don't be into it the other. Even if MK should not really be into it because of what reasons ever, he still is hard trying. He has that kind of worker's mentality that also makes him doing these records all the time instead of just taking 3 years off for some re-creating time... I like that. And this 2013 tour is difficult to be seen as a whole - the first few weeks had many more surprises than usual. And the good thing is there are official recordings. so he gives us something great indeed!

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »
I don't think Guy is arrogant when he said "this is OUR setlist", this is an artistic choice to play what THEY want not what THE public want.

That said Guy forum doesn't sound now as fun as it used to be (or is it us/me that is tired of?).
There had been sometime weird question or reaction from fan and this may have somewhat affected him.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
I miss the days when MK would throw something extra special into the set. Something that he "wrote in the dressing room" or "on the bus". Like 'Long Highway' in 1996 and 'Pyroman' in 2001. Something completely unexpected. And we've all read how productive MK is these days, writing songs all the time. Even during this ongoing tour.

That is giving the fans what they want, a real easter egg - something very rare. 'Pyroman' alone was worth seeing three shows in a row across the Nordic back in 2001, it still is perhaps the coolest song MK's ever written - it's so amazingly raw.

But as much as I too miss SoS, you really gotta hand it to MK that the setlist - throughout the whole tour (not the show or shows just you went to see) is more varied than way before. Earlier tours were static from the middle to the end but this time around it's more of a lottery which songs you'll end up seeing and hearing. Let's hope SoS just is on a hiatus and that we will see it returning in a few years when he'll embark on another tour. Still, one thing troubles me - which a friend of mine reacted to. MK is taking too many shortcuts through the instrumental parts of SoS, he might have physical trouble playing it. Compare the SoS from 2005 and with the one from 2013, the difference in his playing is a bit scary.

And no, not everyone can be pleased. But it seems a bit unfair calling that to Guy as I suppose he's got minimum authority to change the setlists.

Back in the days of the GL tour I remember reading they ran 'So far away from the clyde' in rehearsals, too bad it stuck there...
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinejunkie_doll

• Guitar George
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »
I have the feeling that it is more important for the group to eat good, to get a good hotel and come quickly from A to B. sometimes they give us the feeling that they only do it for themselves and not for the fans. I think they too often forget that without the fans there are no range rovers and no 5 stars hotels. I am personally really pissed about this tour/setlist and for me it was the last mark knopfler tour. and that sultans of swing will no longer played is not good for the future tour-ticket sales

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
Giving the fans what they want is a bit like saying he owes the fans something. Thats utter nonsense, he has never asked people to buy his records or attend his concerts. Thats up to you as an individual, like its up to MK to play what he wants. Of course I would love more variety, but I'd still rather have the option of attending one gig a year than nothing at all.

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
Do you remember the old times, with wide banners in standing, crowded concerts?

People asking for certain songs, written on paper, loving the band....

I imagine nowadays, a simple way to bother the band. Just a tablet. First rows. A powerpoint archive. Up the tablet in the air at the end of every song, with the name of the next song being played. Big letters.

I wont do it, could be irritating and disturbing for the band. But Mark certainly would take note of a high percentage of Successes.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
Elvis Costello has a big roulette wheel thing on stage with all his songs on it!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »
Elvis Costello has a big roulette wheel thing on stage with all his songs on it!

:lol

If Mark did that I'm convinced he'd have Guy press a button to halt it at the songs he wanted every night!  Just like they do at the ca*inos! ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:35:33 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:41 AM »
I have the feeling that it is more important for the group to eat good, to get a good hotel and come quickly from A to B. sometimes they give us the feeling that they only do it for themselves and not for the fans. I think they too often forget that without the fans there are no range rovers and no 5 stars hotels. I am personally really pissed about this tour/setlist and for me it was the last mark knopfler tour. and that sultans of swing will no longer played is not good for the future tour-ticket sales
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 08:38:27 AM »
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
Agreed..

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 05:37:31 PM »
Look, we are all obviously big fans of Mark and love him and his music dearly. That's why we go to his shows every single time he is on tour. Many folks save money for a long time so they can buy tickets and pay for travel. No matter what he plays, and he can read the newspaper for 2 hours, I will go to as many shows as I can. But that doesn't mean I cannot desire variety in the set list. Whether he cares or not is immaterial and I will respect Mark's decision. But if a whole bunch of loyal fans feel that the set is repetitive and therefore boring, it does deserve attention, and not in the manner that Guy has done. I am also aware that Guy has very little or no say in this regard and he can be honest about it.

The luxury that mark and band enjoy is well deserved and I hold no grudges, but sometimes it is annoying how Guy can be dismissive about fans seeking autographs or a picture with them. It has been my dream to get a picture with Mark and I wait for hours (unsuccessfully thus far) in the hope of fulfilling it, but by no means am I a Rudiger. It hurts when we are categorized as "getalifers" by Guy. If he put himself in our shoes, he would have better appreciation for our love and respect for Mark and his band, including Guy. Anyway...

All I will say is that I am moved to tears routinely by Mark's music - the depth of his words, the intoxicating guitar, devotion to his art, humbleness etc etc. As I walk away from the last show I attend on any MK tour, I am sad for several days and it is painful to think that there may not be another opportunity to be in his presence again. Hopefully he will keep going for a while....
Spirits call from way beyond
Lord I may not disobey...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 40 queries.