Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The 2013 Diaries from Richard and Guy  (Read 24772 times)

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
Re: The 2013 Diaries from Richard and Guy
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »
Guy's post from July 24..."Mark and I decide the set a few hours before the show, sometimes on the plane and I then text it to Kevin, the production manager who prints it up"

So, I wonder how that conversation goes? Given the massive amount of variety on display, this could be a very long discussion, like 3 seconds maybe?? :D Sorry, couldn't resist!!

Btw, Pottel - this is not a business, and we are not buying potatoes. And any business that doesn't pay heed to customer demands will not last very long. Now, we know that Mark will get a full house as long as he plays and as long as the loyal fans have $$ in their pockets, but just saying.....

I thought that as well!

Guy - "Shall we do Gator Blood as well tonight?"

MK - "Er...no."

*goes back to uploading photos of food*

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
I have seen Mark Knopfler in Zwolle, a setlist which can easily be called "dull" by many of you. The concert was great though, it isn't a matter of what songs he plays, but how he plays them. That's what makes a concert good or bad. I had no Sultans, no Brothers, no Going Home, but I had a great concert. And I can tell you, I prefer that a million times to Sultans, Brothers, Going Home, but a bad concert.

About calling the set static, that's not true in fact. Mark changes a lot! There are 32 performed songs, with 15 to 18 songs a night. If you look to the "big" artists out there: they got 16 songs a night, the same 16 songs. We should be happy.

There static part of the set is great too, Marbletown maybe a bit too long, but can you imagine a MK concert next tour with no Romeo, no Telegraph and no What It Is? I can't. These songs need to bee played every night. Even more than Sultans or Brothers or whatever.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2013, 09:48:15 PM »
can you imagine a MK concert next tour with no Romeo, no Telegraph and no What It Is?

SOS being dropped, why not. I guess Romeo would probably be the last one to go to bin.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2013, 11:27:51 PM »
I believe it was on Guy's forum once when there was a question about R&J. The answer of Guy was kind off there was Always room in the set for the song R&J. I do not see TR being dropped because it is a good one for the encores. Than again so is Speedway.
The only DS for sure is R&J. and MK solo would be What it is...... :wave

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »
There are no bad songs in Mark's catalogue so we like everything he puts out, but even steak or lobster everyday can be boring, right? What baffles me is, why does Mark not want to play something other than Marbletown, Speedway, Telegraph Rd, R&J, Sultans, and So Far Away??? There's got be a reason, and I'd love for anyone to explain why..

Ok, so how about this set list...just for fun:

1) Walk of life or Money for Nothing or Down to the Waterline
2) Tunnel of love
3) Darling Pretty
4) Old Pigweed or Devil Baby
5) Blue Bird
6) So far from the Clyde
7) Seattle or Radio City Serenade
8)  Are we in Trouble Now or In the Sky
9) Corned Beef City or Privateering
10) On Every Street
11) Long Highway
12) My Claim to Fame
13) The Long Road
13) Next time I'm in Town
14) Single Handed Sailor
15) Planet of New Orleans
16)Hill Farmer Blues
17) Sultans of Swing

P.S> SoS added just to prevent a riot from breaking out...

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Spirits call from way beyond
Lord I may not disobey...

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:36 AM »
There are no bad songs in Mark's catalogue so we like everything he puts out, but even steak or lobster everyday can be boring, right? What baffles me is, why does Mark not want to play something other than Marbletown, Speedway, Telegraph Rd, R&J, Sultans, and So Far Away??? There's got be a reason, and I'd love for anyone to explain why..

Ok, so how about this set list...just for fun:

1) Walk of life or Money for Nothing or Down to the Waterline
2) Tunnel of love
3) Darling Pretty
4) Old Pigweed or Devil Baby
5) Blue Bird
6) So far from the Clyde
7) Seattle or Radio City Serenade
8)  Are we in Trouble Now or In the Sky
9) Corned Beef City or Privateering
10) On Every Street
11) Long Highway
12) My Claim to Fame
13) The Long Road
13) Next time I'm in Town
14) Single Handed Sailor
15) Planet of New Orleans
16)Hill Farmer Blues
17) Sultans of Swing

P.S> SoS added just to prevent a riot from breaking out...

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

I will die for a set like this. ;)  It's really too bad that Mark will not dig deeper into his vast array of songs. Too many fantastic songs that never get to be played live.   :disbelief  Although I think the beginning of the tour was quite outstanding with sets that sparked lots of excitements in the forum, then it gets predictable.  Hopefully, when the tour comes over to NA, we will get a somewhat different set.  I will NEVER stop going to see Mark as long as he goes on tour no matter what he plays or doesn't play. ;)  I Loveeeeeeeeee Mark's music  that muchhhhhhh !!!!!!! :)

Offlineisina

• Guitar George
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2013, 11:04:13 PM »
Hi there to you all!  :wave
Sorry I've been missing for a long time, but you know, sometimes life takes you somewhere else. Anyway, every now and then I come in and take a look to the posts, see some familiar faces (hi Ingrid! Hi Pottel!) and some new faces, which is good.

First of all, I'm Italian and I'm always very saddened from what I read from people coming from other countries, most of all because I know in my heart that almost everything it's true, and I realize how much we are "used" to the way things are going around here. We are not able to react, it seems.  :smack
In 1996 MK didn't even play one single show in Italy, and that was so bad for us all, that when it's time for a tour, we always fear that Italy won't be on the list. I think that we are saved from some of our astonishing venues (like Taormina) and from the food. I wonder how long these things will be enough for the band to decide to go on playing here. Anyway a few comments I read here and there, not specifically in this forum, but around the net, were so bad that I asked myself how much was true and how much was just prejudice... Anyway.

I've seen MK 12 times in my life, since 1992. I'm grateful for every show. As a Queen fan, I'm aware that a fan could never ever have the chance to see his hero on a stage. I'll never see Freddie playing live, and that's more painful than listening to the same set list on every tour, IMHO. He still wants to go on stage, and that's enough for me. He even didn't stop the tour in 2010 when he had backpain, which is awesome.

This year, to me, was an improvement as MK actually played more different songs than ever, has dropped some milestones like SOS, and listening to the Taormina show, I think we all could agree that this was a good decision.

About the fact that it was often remarked that it was "their setlist", well, it must be unpleasant, but I think it's true. You could see it from another point of view. I'm Artist "X" and I'm so bored to go on tour that I don't even want to write a setlist, so I'll ask my fans and play what they want *yaaawn* I don't care at all, I just grab the money and they will be happy.
Maybe MK instead still WANTS to play his own things, maybe he loves just those 10 songs and hates the others, who knows, but the fact is that he has the right to do this, and when you go and see an artist performance (musician, opera singer, painter, whatever), you go to see HIS work. You could like it or not, you could say that he's right or wrong, but he'll do what HE WANTS to do. Art is that, IMHO, showing outside what you have inside, not doing what people outside would like. And if MK's aim is to bore us all to death because he's part of an Illuminati plan  :hmm , well, that's it.

I'd loved to listen to something from Communique, or to Hand in hand or Monteleone. It didn't happen. But I had the chance to listen MK playing, and I think I should be grateful about that.  :)

About Guy's diary, maybe he's bored, maybe he's changed, he's writing diaries since 2001 and tours were different, with different logistics, the internet has become a huge part of our lives, and what in 2005 seemed amazing, now could seem boring... our life has changed a lot since then so who knows, maybe it's just him or maybe we are gettin' used to that. I 've always found the tech stuff boring, and loved the cities pictures. I love cooking so I'm happy with the food-experience too.   ;D ;D

Well, sorry for the lenght of my post, but I had to write it.  :P :P Thank you for your patience reading my English, and thanks to MK for being here.
Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2013, 12:52:57 AM »
Loved your post, isina.  Thanks for another perspective!!!  :wave
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2013, 01:18:56 AM »
In terms of set lists and song choices, isina is absolutely right and her view is one I have expressed here before. Let the artist choose; let the man play. As I've also said before, I wish he'd step out a little, too, but he has widened his song choice on the recent tour and that should be applauded. And it was!

As for the rest, a few words of wisdom from Mr Bob:  "Take care of all your memories....For you cannot relive them"

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2013, 02:27:25 AM »
In terms of set lists and song choices, isina is absolutely right and her view is one I have expressed here before. Let the artist choose; let the man play. As I've also said before, I wish he'd step out a little, too, but he has widened his song choice on the recent tour and that should be applauded. And it was!

As for the rest, a few words of wisdom from Mr Bob:  "Take care of all your memories....For you cannot relive them"
Indeed he has widened his selection this tour!  Many of us were shocked when he added "I dug up a diamond" to the sets early on...but the real shock came with "Dream of the drowned submariner"..and what a beautiful addition it was too! The sets for KTGC and GL were more static..no change from show to show at all.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »
Exactly!

Now, if someone has the time and inclination, perhaps a compilation of the best or most interesting version of each song performed during the tour, adding in the variations that involved saxophone as the bonus tracks, would make a nice Christmas present for mrs twm. It would become a lovely memento of a fun tour. 

Now the USB sticks have sold, perhaps I should nominate Mr Knopfler, formerly of Deptford, for the task. An official release along those lines would be great. Add in a CD of rehearsal versions of the songs, showing how they developed and evolved, and you've got an "extra" for the De Luxe version.

Such a release would be very fitting as MK himself has referred to "Privateering" as a song with parallels to going on tour with a band.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »

It took some time to read all these messages!  LOL I agree with some of you and share the same opinion. Let
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2013, 01:26:32 AM »
Hi isi! "Welcome back"
Well written!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineisina

• Guitar George
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »
Hi Pottel! Nice to be back  :wave
Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 38 queries.