Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 58:2013.07.16 Teatro Antico, Taormina, Italy # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 29748 times)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
No Gator blood,  it was I used to could.
But what a surprise with SOS !!!
Huge surprise ! You got SOS quite often, didn't you ?  ;)
Let's hope it's back for the rest of the tour. ;D

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
Im going to bet:

What it is, corned, privateering, father, hill, diamond, use to could, Romeo, sonny, paraguay, marble, speedway, telegraph, so far, piper

Let's see if I'm wrong if someone reveals the set  ;D

My little bet:
CMG will be added and sonny will be replaced by Gator Blood

I'm going to go for Sultans tonight instead of Sonny. :think

;)
Why don't you just buy yourself a lottery ticket ?  More chances to win.  ;)

If he plays it tonight, I will buy a ticket and I will win too! ;D

I hope you bought the lotteryticket. When will the winningday be? We want to gratulate you with being a rich man ;-)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

I hope you bought the lotteryticket. When will the winningday be? We want to gratulate you with being a rich man ;-)
[/quote]

Well, tonight's the night for midweek lottery... :D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineenzo

• Guitar George
No gator blood but i used to could :-[

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler

Well, tonight's the night for midweek lottery... :D
[/quote]

I hope you win, dmg and then Grand Hotel Timeo, here you come!    :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
About Sultans...........it's like be able to see an old friend who has been gone for thirty years  8) 8) 8)
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Distinctly average version (notice he sings "platform soles" and not "best Kings Road")!:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:11:53 PM by dmg »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Distinctly average version (notice he sings "platform soles" and not "best Kings Road")!:

I thought it was fantastic!  :thumbsup   Well above average and I'm sure it must have been wonderful to be there and hear it in that magnificent setting!   :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

I thought it was fantastic!  :thumbsup   Well above average and I'm sure it must have been wonderful to be there and hear it in that magnificent setting!   :D

On another listen I will revise my opinion and say it was terrible.  If he is going to play it again this tour he needs to practice it more - it sounded as though he hadn't played it in 6 years never mind 6 weeks. :disbelief

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler

On another listen I will revise my opinion and say it was terrible.  If he is going to play it again this tour he needs to practice it more - it sounded as though he hadn't played it in 6 years never mind 6 weeks. :disbelief

One of us must have cloth ears then!     :lol     No, I just had a feel and it's not me!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

One of us must have cloth ears then!     :lol     No, I just had a feel and it's not me!   ;D

All went well until the 2nd solo and we had inaccurate playing, licks that just weren't coming off for him, too short a build up, unimaginative and the final twiddly bits weren't perfect either.  How was it "fantastic"!!! :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:26:42 PM by dmg »

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
"My Taormina"

Taormina is distant only 40 km from my home. But when started the presale of tickets, 10 months before the concert, I was not sure I can go and I gave up to "privileged" tickets. Only in May, I decided, and I got tickets for the steps unnumbered.
Yesterday, around 3:30 PM, under a scorching sun, I went to Taormina and at 4:30 I was out of the greek theater. I learned that at 17.30 the theater would be closed to visitors, and that would be mounted the barricades waiting for the concert. A walk along the beautiful  Taormina's Corso Umberto 1, crowded with tourists, an ice cream, and at 17.30 I was back in front of the theater. In front of me there were already about fifty people (not many thankfully). I waited patiently under the sun and I got to chat with my "neighbors". They were mostly young boys, with just some smattering on the DS and MK. The 2 hours of waiting have passed pleasantly enough, with the "highlight" when Ian Thomas approached the barriers, greeted us and also took some photos. Around 7:30 they opened the gates and there was a small race to try to occupy the most central seats. In the end it was not bad: quite central, with a great view of the stage and on the fairy-tale setting of the greek theater: the ancient ruins, the sea and Mount Etna in the background.

The environment was very quiet, ideal for following the concert (no rivers of beer!) Around me, many in their forties, but also youngs and a few gray hairs. The two hours waiting for the concert beginning are spent amiably, immersed in a stunning setting. Among my thoughts was the fact that it was the first time that Mark was playing in Taormina (and in this magnificent theater that oozes history), that yesterday the "boys" had rested and that this night they would stop to sleep again in Taormina (so no planes to take and no rush  :)). The premises were good. On the other hand in the last dates the setlist was a bit limited, but even this would not have disturbed my night.

At about 9:20 pm the funny PC (and I mean it affectionately: after last night I love him too  :)) has appeared on stage with a jacket (or shirt?) with the English flag and announced the beginning of the concert. There we go.
Mark - I thought - was in a good mood, greeted the audience and began with WII. Beautiful solo, with McC's violin, McG's flute and the "maestro" at the center of the stage with his red guitar. Following the excellent performances of CBC and Privateering. The band is "loose", in good spirits: it does not seem they have about sixty dates behind in the last 3 months. Begin the notes of F&S and I start to move me, and for the sweetness of the music and because I know it's the prelude to HFB, one of my favorites. And I'm not disappointed: the notes of the Gibson, Mark with his eyes closed: there is everything to be carried in the dream. Then the sweet IDUAD, reggae version, exciting.

At this point, Mark embraces again his red guitar: someone in the audience shouts "Sultans of Swiiiiiiing" Mark replied something smiling. A few seconds of waiting, the suspense grows ... begins IUTC  :). Pleasant! Then the sweet notes of RaJ and, as usual, in the final solo Mark again embraces the "red." I think: "now the Gibson and go with Sonny Liston". But Mark remains on stage without changing guitar, the tension rises, it becomes anxiety ............... Mark outlines a "Thank youuuuuu". It's the confirmation: after over a month of absence SOS is back! Great excitement: maybe not a perfect rendition but that does not matter in the slightest. Surely it was a welcome surprise, a gift to his many fans in Sicily. In the end, the usual standing ovation. Now, he embraces the Gibson and starts Sonny Liston: hoarse, scratchy, "dirty". I know I'm in the minority, but I consider this song a little masterpiece, a perfect harmony between music and text: dramatic, violent, pounding. Follows the sweet Haul away, the band intro and the enthralling PFP: I looked at the public and it was hard to see someone who does not "dance" sitting  :lol

Then Marbletown: I knew it was "long" but I must say that has slipped away quickly, pleasantly. When the music slowed, in mid-song, some applause started (not everyone knew it); then the "right" deserved applause, especially for John McC.
Silence! Begin the notes of Speedway: sublime! The peak when, during the final solo, to the play of lights on the stage, were added, in the background, behind the columns of the greek theater, the fireworks: of course it was accidental, but for me it was a sign, a tribute of the entire island to the "maestro", who wanted to add his notes to the two-thousand year history of the theater. A fairy tale context, unforgettable. But there is no time to catch breath, in the air resonates the "hiss" of TR. Then the Pensa, the solo: it's the apotheosis!

The band comes out in the applause of an enthusiastic audience. I count the tracks: 1,2,3 .... 15! For me, the concert could also end up here, I'm fully satisfied. But I expect at least one "encore". Then I think: "No plane to catch." You can dare with expectations. Back on stage: it is not SFA but the sweet S-LA. I'm now convinced: they will be 17! And in fact there is also SFA, which seemed to me particularly nice.

At the end Mark seems happy, even excited. Greets the audience with sweeping gestures and even comes close to the audience shaking a few hands. Now I'm sure he enjoyed it too.

The band gave us 2 hours of pure enjoyment: an unforgettable night! Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:19:40 PM by rudiger »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Thank you rudiger, for that wonderful account of the Taormina concert and I'm very pleased that you enjoyed it so much.   What a beautiful venue to hear MK's music!   8)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler

All went well until the 2nd solo and we had inaccurate playing, licks that just weren't coming off for him, too short a build up and the final twiddly bits were just a mess.  How was it "fantastic"!!! :)

Well "fantastic" is probably not the correct word, but in any case I really enjoyed listening to it and that's all that really matters to me.   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Very nice review.  Thanks Rüdiger!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.