Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 58:2013.07.16 Teatro Antico, Taormina, Italy # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 30111 times)

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
Fireworks during Speedway

(sorry for the pic quality; actually it's not a pic  ;D)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Distinctly average version (notice he sings "platform soles" and not "best Kings Road")!:

I thought it was fantastic!  :thumbsup   Well above average and I'm sure it must have been wonderful to be there and hear it in that magnificent setting!   :D

On another listen I will revise my opinion and say it was terrible.  If he is going to play it again this tour he needs to practice it more - it sounded as though he hadn't played it in 6 years never mind 6 weeks. :disbelief

One of us must have cloth ears then!     :lol     No, I just had a feel and it's not me!   ;D

All went well until the 2nd solo and we had inaccurate playing, licks that just weren't coming off for him, too short a build up and the final twiddly bits were just a mess.  How was it "fantastic"!!! :)

Well "fantastic" is probably not the correct word, but in any case I really enjoyed listening to it and that's all that really matters to me.   ;)

One thing's for sure - it was fantastic to have it back.  Let us all be thankful for that!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Distinctly average version (notice he sings "platform soles" and not "best Kings Road")!:

I thought it was fantastic!  :thumbsup   Well above average and I'm sure it must have been wonderful to be there and hear it in that magnificent setting!   :D

On another listen I will revise my opinion and say it was terrible.  If he is going to play it again this tour he needs to practice it more - it sounded as though he hadn't played it in 6 years never mind 6 weeks. :disbelief

One of us must have cloth ears then!     :lol     No, I just had a feel and it's not me!   ;D

All went well until the 2nd solo and we had inaccurate playing, licks that just weren't coming off for him, too short a build up and the final twiddly bits were just a mess.  How was it "fantastic"!!! :)

Well "fantastic" is probably not the correct word, but in any case I really enjoyed listening to it and that's all that really matters to me.   ;)

One thing's for sure - it was fantastic to have it back.  Let us all be thankful for that!

Amen to that and I hope it will be played when I'm at Carcassonne!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineSults

• Guitar George
Hi all,

Thanks for doing what you do... the work you guys put in on this site is wonderful.  I LOVED this version of SOS... because I didn't think we would hear it again.  For me it was perfect... I would love to hear TOL played live again and I'm sure we could all pick faults in what they do and how they do it but I'd just love to hear it.  In case you wondered I'm a 'get a lifer' as Guy calls us... and I am so happy Mk wants to make more music and tour. This is why we are all here.  I do laugh at Guy's dismay at the people with mobile devices recording stuff... the hero's that do this allow me to visit versions of songs I love from places I will never get to and be part of it.  So thank you also my recording hero's!  I love SOS... it's back and that's all that matters.

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
"My Taormina"
"

"

The band gave us 2 hours of pure enjoyment: an unforgettable night! Thanks!

Very Nice review :thumbsup
another nice read, glad you had Sultans!
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
Rudiger, That was an excellent review.   :thumbsup :thumbsup :clap I enjoyed reading it very much.  And what a magnifcient venue . I've never seen anything quite like it.  To top it off with SOS, now that's like a heavenly experience on earth. ;)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms

Agree... Previous versions this tour were much better in the 2nd solo. He hasn't played it since 1 june, is that the reason? Lack of practice/performing?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo

I got goosebumps from start to finish. smiles all over. What a great surprise.  I bet the stick for this show will sell like crazy. :)

Love Expresso

I have to agree with dmg. But also have to say it has been heard far worse... So maybe MK REALLY lost interest in the song, half-arsed trying maybe, I play it once more, some kind of hate/love relation to that song... I would prefer him not to play it anymore if the looses the interest in the song.

LE

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
Nice version. I'm still in love with that song. I saw two fantastic shows.............but I really missed one song both nights  ;D
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!

I'm honestly amazed that a song quality can genuinely be based on what can only best described as terrible YouTube quality clips, sound wise.

This was certainly not the best of course but terrible?

Wait for a soundboard version.

It sounded fine for a S.H.I.T.E YouTube audio clip IMO.

Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Love Expresso

I agree about crap videos on YouTube, but a false note on a shit video might sound false on a soundboard recording, too... I listened for the second time now and the word "average" describes it perfectly imho. We have some better versions from this tour alone.

LE

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
I agree about crap videos on YouTube, but a false note on a shit video might sound false on a soundboard recording, too... I listened for the second time now and the word "average" describes it perfectly imho. We have some better versions from this tour alone.

LE

A bad note?? What have we become? Lol ;-). I'll tell you what, I can bet they never even practiced the time since 1st June. In my opinion I think I'm actually just tired of the "original 4 piece" version these days

It's nothing about Knopfler's ability. Take a listen to recent versions of Speedway and telegraph road. Astoundingly technical and great.

Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Love Expresso

Quote from: xxFordiexx link=
A bad note?? What have we become? Lol ;-). 
[/quote

Hm, don't get what you mean... maybe it's too hot today...  8) Don't you think there are any?

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
I have listened to this version of SOS about 5 times now and I do honestly enjoy it very much.  True, it's not fantastic (as I said previously) or perfect, but what is perfection?  Sometimes improvisation might sound imperfect to one person, but it could be perfection to another's ears.  A lot of people rate the Milan 2013 version very highly - some have said it's the best ever, but what I heard was MK making very heavy weather of getting to the end and there seemed to be some rather iffy notes in there too - or could that have been improvisation and it passed me by?    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 44 queries.