Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best versions from this tour  (Read 38743 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Best versions from this tour
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2013, 06:45:24 PM »
I personally found his guitar playing better than in 2010. More dynamic TR solo, especially... maybe not back to 2005 level but more energy and fluency than in 2008/2010.
This being said it's all a matter of taste...

As for the greatest show I stand by my opinion, which is also Poupistar's as expressed on his blog, than Saint-Julien is the one, despite the songs being not Ruth-enabled or Nigel-enhanced. Of course I'm strongly biased because I was there, but believe me, all those who were there felt the same. Top energy from both the band and the crowd !

Stuttgart would be a close second, and best for Nigel-aware songs of course.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
I personally found his guitar playing better than in 2010. More dynamic TR solo, especially... maybe not back to 2005 level but more energy and fluency than in 2008/2010.
This being said it's all a matter of taste...

As for the greatest show I stand by my opinion, which is also Poupistar's as expressed on his blog, than Saint-Julien is the one, despite the songs being not Ruth-enabled or Nigel-enhanced. Of course I'm strongly biased because I was there, but believe me, all those who were there felt the same. Top energy from both the band and the crowd !

Stuttgart would be a close second, and best for Nigel-aware songs of course.

I'd have to agree Herlock.  2010 was a low point in Mark's career in as far as his guitar playing was concerned, a notable rise being noticed in 2011 and also in 2013 after a disappointing 2012.

Can't agree about this Stuttgart worship though.  :hmm
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2013, 08:44:52 PM »

"Can't agree about this Stuttgart worship though. :hmm "

Same here!    I have tried to enjoy it, because so many people have said it's so good, but I am hugely disappointed with it, especially Speedway, of which there are many better versions!     :)

Just finished listening to Rome and it was great - imo of course!   ;)   Could be in my top 5!

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »

"Can't agree about this Stuttgart worship though. :hmm "

Same here!    I have tried to enjoy it, because so many people have said it's so good, but I am hugely disappointed with it, especially Speedway, of which there are many better versions!     :)

Just finished listening to Rome and it was great - imo of course!   ;)   Could be in my top 5!

Totally agree Val.  Speedway from Stuttgart is very ropey to say the least, but Rome's version could be the best ever and a great gig to boot!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »
Strange, I enjoyed Stuttgard a lot, especially Nigel's songs and also TR, with added licks in the end solo !

Anyway, what do you guys Stuttgart haters think of Saint-Julien ? this one I find really great !

Love Expresso

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
Isn't it phantastic that MK can put out 70 shows and here is his heavy fan base, not only discussing it and having different favourites, but there's  also something for everbody! MK really has a lot of ways to make us happy obviously!

This thread is great for giving hints into the right direction. Today I listened a lot to some of the shows I hadn't listened before or was not able to listen to before. Now I must say: Padova is really among the best ones! Phantastic Gator Blood as mentioned, but also really awesome Marbletown! That alone makes it worth listening (!) And I prefer Padova's Speedway over Rome because Mike's flute is much more into the zone, but both versions are pretty much the same phantastic!

Funny news about Stuttgart and the diverse opinions. As Mrs. Val so much loves Liverpool, I gave it a try more than once (you know, you WANT to love it if this Lady says it's great ...  ;) ), and Seattle and Gator Blood from Liverpool are really good!! But over all, Stuttgart I love more. That's just funny. Can't say why, I Used To Could is really powerful (and the dialogue with Richard is great "... everything's too fast for you, Richard".) I compared DOTDS with some of the other versions (YouTube) but from the soundboard, I think the Stuttgart version is really good. When the drums come in, it  has really a Dire Straits feel to it... And I realize that I almost always skip Telegraph Road, so the song that is so significant for so many amiters just gives nothing to me anymore - "almost" in this case means that the Padova version is really exceptional good and comes close to the way I wish it to be played.

So let's dig deeper and deeper into all this stuff. Suggestions and hints always welcome! Who should one ask if not this special bunch of people that knows so much about it all - more than Guy and Mark themselves I would bet!!  :lol :wave

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
Hi LE!    Yes I do like Liverpool a lot and not just because I was there, but I do have a few reservations!    I absolutely loved being there and it seemed a great show, but when I listened to the stick, I noticed that MK's voice on the first three or four songs came over as rather croaky and strained - something I hadn't noticed at the concert.   However, from Gator Blood onward, this seemed to have disappeared and from then on it is really a great concert to listen to.  Also the chit-chat is amusing to hear!   Something about Guy's very s e x y shirt matching his eyeshadow!   ;D

Highlights are Gator Blood, a very good Sultans, Marbletown, terrific Speedway (far superior to Stuttgart), Marbletown (wonderful everywhere) and one of the best TR's.   

However, because of the croaky beginning, it is now sliding down my "best of" list, but probably will be in the top 10!   

It's strange how opinions can change after hearing multiple concerts.   I'm thinking specifically about the RAH first night, when lots of us were blown away by what was happening in front of us, me included!   There was such energy and enthusiasm, both on and off stage and then there was that amazing TR - I thought it just couldn't get any better!   After listening to the stick, though, it was a bit disappointing to hear that all the enthusiasm and energy didn't transfer in quite the same way and I was aware that some of the songs didn't sound quite as great as I thought they were at the time.   

Now that I have heard other concerts from later in the tour, I realise that I am enjoying some of them much more than the RAH concert, even though I wasn't present at most of them so, sadly, RAH 1 is falling down my list, but the memories of a great evening live on!   :D

Anyway, there's a long way to go yet!    ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:59:12 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »
Agree with all you said, Val! About London - that was pure magic, and Mark was pure aura, and that can't be transfered on such an ordinary thing as a usb-stick...  :lol

LE

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
I agree, London was magic. The only way to enjoy that is because of your memories, not because you can hear it on the USB

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »
What a great thread ! After reading, I've decided to give a try to RAH and  Stuttgart asap.
My current favs are Caen, Rome and of course the oustanding St Julien.  ;)

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »
I love this thread. :thumbsup :clap 

What do you guys think about Antwerpen ? I listen to it quite a lot.  And I think it's really a good show.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 03:49:08 PM »

What do you guys think about Antwerpen ? I listen to it quite a lot.  And I think it's really a good show.

Yes, I like that one!   Lots of good song versions.   It's on my list.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2013, 04:09:24 PM »

Yes, I like that one!   Lots of good song versions.   It's on my list.   :)

Particularly, IDUAD is sensational on this one to me ! :)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »
Oh yeah Antwerpen  :smack
jbaent suggested I should give it a try. Working on it my friend ... on my november list.  ::)

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »
What a great thread ! After reading, I've decided to give a try to RAH and  Stuttgart asap.
My current favs are Caen, Rome and of course the oustanding St Julien.  ;)

I totally agree. For me, in particular, is a very helpful guide from guys who follows MK more than me and knows about music more than me.
Love over gold, mind over matter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 42 queries.