Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tour Conclusions  (Read 13014 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Tour Conclusions
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
So it's maybe too soon to draw conclusions from a tour only finished a few days ago, but someone's going to do it soon and I thought it may as well be someone who'll put a negative, controversial spin on it!

To be fair though, I think Mark has seemed quite inspired with his playing this tour while his singing is just up another level.  His setlist varied a little at the start of the tour, even though I still think he made some poor song choices and the energy put into the performances was far better than anything since 2005.  Speaking of 2005, the performances - and in particular Mark's playing - of TR during this tour was the best since then.  But in spite of all that brilliance, this will always be remembered as the tour when Sultans was dropped and I think that's quite sad.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Tour Conclusions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »
I share your views, for once :) I even tend to listen to TR more from 2013 than 2005 these days !!
As for Sultans yes it is sad, but:
1/it does not mean that it was dropped forever,
2/take it as a form of gentle provocation to the fans: I can still play it well, but I won't, as it is time for me to free myself of it !
3/anyway I think live should add something to the studio... That's why I far preferred the "bad-ass" versions of Sutans, with keys, sax ad all. I always wonder why people liked Rockpalast'79 so much - not that it is bad, it was indeed an excellent show, but the versions are so similar to the album ones (even more than the earlier live at the bbc, which managed to add some "anger" to the album), that I might as well listen to DS and Communique in a row - same thing with no crowd noise ! I would far prefer Dortmund'80 to be officially released than Rockpalast - for these bad-ass, faster, keyboardized, experimental versions of Lions, News and DTTW !!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »
So it's maybe too soon to draw conclusions from a tour only finished a few days ago, but someone's going to do it soon and I thought it may as well be someone who'll put a negative, controversial spin on it!

To be fair though, I think Mark has seemed quite inspired with his playing this tour while his singing is just up another level.  His setlist varied a little at the start of the tour, even though I still think he made some poor song choices and the energy put into the performances was far better than anything since 2005.  Speaking of 2005, the performances - and in particular Mark's playing - of TR during this tour was the best since then.  But in spite of all that brilliance, this will always be remembered as the tour when Sultans was dropped and I think that's quite sad.

Your conclusions weren't TOO negative, though dmg and I agree with most of them!   ;D 

I have loved TR on this tour and listen to it a lot, but like you I was sad that Sultans wasn't played more times, though not every time, of course.   I was sorry that BTT and YTC weren't played at any of my concerts, because I loved the couple of versions I heard on YT and I'm sorry that the set list became rather static and shorter towards the end of the tour.   I'm sure that it's not the end for Sultans, but in future tours we must be prepared not to take it for granted that it will be played!

My personal favourites have been TR, Marbletown (sorry dmg), Father & Son/HFB, CBC, Privateering, Postcards and Going Home (with or without Nigel)  and I have liked Sonny on the few occasions it was played. 

My favourite concert?    At the moment I am addicted to the wonderful radio broadcast from Lucca!   I love it and everything was so well played - It's great to be able to enjoy the amazing atmosphere of that evening when many of us were listening together!   :D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:51:17 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
Seems some of us are in the same mood - I was also thinking about the tour and tried to rank it within my very own MK scale...

-The concerts I attended were great, and London 27.05. probably came close to the most "surreal" experience from all my concerts so far. There was some magic at that venue and at that place that night (for me), hardly to describe. Could just be  because of dead center first row, but that sort of thing is hard to describe anyway. All I know is that the recording doesn't reflect that for me - it would be just another one for me if I only knew the recording. That's the thing about "live experience"... And that should be the most important thing. Multi-concertgoers  like Ingrid or Pottel or Knopflerized would probably agree in the fact that there is no need in talking too much about it  but experience it live instead. But as it is a forum and the tour is over, why not?

-Set list wise I have some things on my mind.. maybe other thoughts than the most common ones. For me, the shows end after "Speedway". To be honest I cannot stand the way they play TR these days.. it is butchered to death in my opinion. Karaoke modus still there, and Mark's way to pronounce the lyrics (""yeah and they say, we gonna have to reap thats been sowed...")  is hard to bear for me, and only because of a maybe great solo I can't say I like a song or not. Brothers, So Far, Our Shangri-La and even this years' PTTE are all songs that I hardly ever listen to because I don't like the 2013 renditions at all..

- So I can judge the set lits in two halfs - first one is expectionally good, the first 4, 5 songs were always the same and I think it is right that way because they fit very well together. Father & Son is the big surprise for me and I love it, even though Mark does everything to destroy the magic with his guitar playing on this one some times. I wonder why nobody ever spoke about how often he plays very false and wrong on this one, whereas John and Mike are really shining here. It sounds as if Mark's guitar on this one is too battered  and out of tune to deliever the right performance most of the time... Don't kill me, that's just what I think.

-Hill Farmer's Blues was better in 2010, not one single performance that I heard so far via YouTube and recordings can outshine some of the 2010 versions.

-When the best Kingdom Of Gold for me is the first one from Turin (I think?), I obviously disagree here with Isaac's opinion that this song is getting better and better. For me, Mark never reached the same brilliance of that first 2013 performance, but I do not know all versions. But it might be a hint for him playing it not that much.

-Marbletown is definitely too long - 2010 was more dramatic. Some versions I heard are really great of course (Prague), but it seemed to me like giving Mark's wrists a break for 15 minutes before the big soloing songs Speedway and TR are coming up...

-Biggest issue for me about 2013 concerts in general: The "emotions" are somewhat missing... When I listen to my favourite 2010 versions, WII,  STP and PTTE are really giving me goosebumps because Mark (together with Danny) reached really highest emotional touches for me. 2013 Haul Away comes to mind, Romeo & Juliet sometimes, but that's it. Corned Beef City, Gator Blood, I Used To Could are good songs, in fact two of them are my album favourites, but live they are just rhythm and somewhat cool and cold, good to bring some variation to the set but not songs to listen to and wallow in after hundreds of listenings..

-All Sultans versions were not as good as some of the 2010 versions for me - and it is no big deal to drop this one because it cannot get any better obviously. Milan stands out for me, and although I experienced Sultans in Bremen and London as very great live power songs, the recordings somehow dont do it for me. Sounds strange maybe, but true. The way Sultans is played 2013 would mean no great loss for me if skipped forever - same as with TR by the way.

-Ian Thomas is definitely a better drummer than Danny - technically and variationwise. Still I am not 100% convinced whereas Danny's playing never left any doubts for me. Again, Piper 2010 (for example Locarno, or STP from the same show) shows so much empathy with Mark which Ianto never had.

-Biggest joy and biggest surprise for me the rendition of 5:15 A.M.  Even in my wildest dreams I would really hever have expected him to play this gem live. If anything else falls apart, this is still the biggest positive thing.

- Mark himself: Photography and filming didn't seem to bother him that much this time which is a sign of a very relaxed and friendly attidude. His voice was good in general (not always THAT good... breathless at times), but better than 2010. He looks better, too, slimmer and just more into it. Very promising for future tours to come.

Very long post: Pottel would proabably say (and in fact, has already) put it in one short sentence as usual "best tour for ages. Period". But as this thread asks for it, I thought some more elaborated thoughts would be fit well.

So conclusion: The live concerts experiences made it clear for me that next time around, I will attend MORE shows than this year's three. But for the pure repertoire virtue, some other shows from former years defended their place as my all-time-favourites, and yes, Locarno 2010 is still among them!
But it will be great to put together a list of gems seldomly played in 2013 maybe one day!

So, where is the darned suncream now...  8)

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
LE - regarding TR I understand there is less emotion than Alchemy in the singing, but what makes you think that 2013 would be worse that 2010/2008 an even 2005 ? To me I sounded more energetic and the "karaoke mode", although still here, was quite reduced thanks to Jimbo !!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
Agree DMG, also agree with LE that there was something special on the 27th May, and it doesn't come across on the recording!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
6 shows attended - St Julien was the one worth doing it.

Some nice and enjoyable moments but not as much as it used to be, so very mixed feelings.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 06:17:20 PM »
I always enjoy going to the concerts on every tour, but this one was definitely the best ever for me!   :thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
Agree DMG, also agree with LE that there was something special on the 27th May, and it doesn't come across on the recording!

+1000 27th may was magic, both band and audience were on fire

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 07:04:56 PM »
Falls short of best ever for me, 96 still holds that accolade.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »
Right, it cannot top the "Hamburg in the rain experience 1996"... best concert ever for me! But London 2013 follows very close...

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Yes, I will never forget the Golden Heart concert in Leeds!  I walked on air for weeks afterwards!   RAH 27th May  comes very close though!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
I enjoyed Glasgow 2001 very much for the best ever.  Of course I was too young to recall my DS show of '91 and the Edinburgh '96 shows! ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
Just to tell you: I'm in vacation in Avignon, 50 minutes away from Vaison-la-Romaine, and today I made a tribute trip to the antic theatre with my wife, my son and his cousin in memory of this great concert which I did not attend 17 years ago ! :)

LE, if you could answer my question about why TR sucks so much his year compared to previous (2008/2010/2005) years, I would be grateful, I'm very interested in the answer !

Cheers

Love Expresso

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 10:42:53 PM »
I guess I wrote it already in my sermon above - just don't like it.  ::) 

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 44 queries.