Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tour Conclusions  (Read 13011 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Tour Conclusions
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 11:07:56 PM »
I guess I wrote it already in my sermon above - just don't like it.  ::) 

LE
Ok, but I have just listened to the following versions of TR, among the most praised:
-Alchemy 83
-Vaison 96
-Lyon 05
-London 13

And all of them seem to have the verse you mentioned properly said - Alchemy has more emotion but that's it.
I don't get when the actual "butchering" took place - not obvious to me that it is this year. In fact I find Mark's voice clearer than in 96 (quitting smoking must have helped)...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
I didn't attend any 2013 show, so my opinion is not representative, but :

- I agree about 96 being the "best"  solo tour, at least my fav one, and my fav live MK experience (setlist, song arrangements, surprises, interaction with the crowd, my distance to Mark, etc....)

- the last verse in TR si sung in the same was as the studio version only during the LOG tour, so only on Alchemy if we count soundboard versions. he change his way of singing this verse since 91 until now, adn I never liked it. Idem for the middle solo (the "slow one") he play a lick since 96 (6'06-6'09 in the YT link below) that he didn't play in 83 and 92, and I don' like it neither. That's why I will always prefer Alchemy, even if there are nice parts on all other tours.

- Herlock I agree with your thoughts about rockpalast. I never understood why the SH version is called "fantastic" (on Jeroen's site and many more). I far prefer late 79 (amsterdam) or late 80 (boston, emerald city...). But what makes Rockpalast sultans version special, is that Mark played the wrong solo, and so played it again "properly".
And indeed I remember when Pottel made the "best live versions" list on MK news, it appeared that most of the time people choosed the most well known gigs, mainly soundboard and video, which gave Rockpalast79, Basel92, Wembley85, whereas there are versions far far better, but less known, even by the fans....

edit : I forgot to add the YT link for that special lick...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:34:14 PM by JF »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »
Thanks again JF, very informative !
My point about Rockpalast was not the Rockpalast gig especially but the general feeling that the first 2 DS tours had the songs played very similarly as the albums. So although there were quality gigs I don't listen to the recordings that much. On other words I would have felt privileged to attend one of these gigs physically (but I was 6 years old in 79, so a bit tough) but as far as recordings are concerned I find it more interesting to listen to 80/81 gigs where lots of experiments were made... Lions and News from Dortmund 80 are perfect examples of little unassuming tunes being turned into epic masterpieces !

Wembley 85 may be well known but it is a hell of a show... I love it... My first candidate for an off i release... Second one being Dortmund 80 :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 07:02:12 PM »
That's a very good point JF - we always refer to the best versions using the popular bootlegs, usually soundboard broadcasts, because everybody knows them but often the very best versions are from other bootlegs in worse quality. ::)

Also, we always refer to the wonderful and famous Wembley '85 show, but they did do a run of shows there from 4th - 16th of July!  We talk like it was a one-off show but it was the night of the 10th that was actually recorded! ;D  I think the 8th was also a very good show, indeed all the available shows were well played.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineZeeley

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 02:13:32 AM »
. Father & Son is the big surprise for me and I love it, even though Mark does everything to destroy the magic with his guitar playing on this one some times. I wonder why nobody ever spoke about how often he plays very false and wrong on this one, whereas John and Mike are really shining here. It sounds as if Mark's guitar on this one is too battered  and out of tune to deliever the right performance most of the time... Don't kill me, that's just what I think.

LE

I agree on that one, I found that bit F&S leading into HFB so "messy", not melodic right if you know what I mean. For instance Je Suis Desol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:44:03 AM by Zeeley »
"Maybe I was born on a bad luck day,
 born under a bad sign"....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
SAN was not a full time this year, charing the slot with Haul Away.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »
What I also found very strange that was said, I think by GF, Ianto trying to confuse MK in the intro of CBC.
With irregular drumming it was supposed to be hard for MK to start his first note, but isnt it our GF who clickstarts with the prerecorded guitar loop?? MK starts his (slide)notes after his sings the first lines, right?
[/quote]

If I heard and saw well, Ian was trying to confuse GF with this drumming. And they had a good laugh about it all the time

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »
Ianto is a fun guy.

But the Paraguay incident at the end of the tour may reveal how demanding it can be for a drummer touring with Mark playing runs of 5 consecutive nights in a six days cycle. And remember Chad leaving after the first leg of 2005 or even Chris Whitten about the OES tour.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:37:25 AM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJana

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
Father & Son is the big surprise for me and I love it, even though Mark does everything to destroy the magic with his guitar playing on this one some times. I wonder why nobody ever spoke about how often he plays very false and wrong on this one, whereas John and Mike are really shining here. It sounds as if Mark's guitar on this one is too battered  and out of tune to deliever the right performance most of the time... Don't kill me, that's just what I think.

I don't understand F&S. Single notes of Mark's guitar are sometime very quiet, sometime louder. It's difficult for me to follow the melody, because it is not fluent, but like broken in bits and pieces. I am not sure, if it something wrong here or is it just the way, that Mark wants to play it.
...yes I need a little water of love...

OfflineZeeley

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 11:34:43 PM »
What I also found very strange that was said, I think by GF, Ianto trying to confuse MK in the intro of CBC.
With irregular drumming it was supposed to be hard for MK to start his first note, but isnt it our GF who clickstarts with the prerecorded guitar loop?? MK starts his (slide)notes after his sings the first lines, right?

If I heard and saw well, Ian was trying to confuse GF with this drumming. And they had a good laugh about it all the time
[/quote]
as you attended so many shows youre probably right, i must have seen it wrong :-)
"Maybe I was born on a bad luck day,
 born under a bad sign"....

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 12:01:17 AM »
Ianto is a fun guy.

But the Paraguay incident at the end of the tour may reveal how demanding it can be for a drummer touring with Mark playing runs of 5 consecutive nights in a six days cycle. And remember Chad leaving after the first leg of 2005 or even Chris Whitten about the OES tour.

Dont think I ever learned about the reason for Chads leaving of the band :hmm What was it really?

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 09:27:39 AM »
Ianto is a fun guy.

Dont think I ever learned about the reason for Chads leaving of the band :hmm What was it really?

No-one knows

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 09:54:05 AM »
I must agree with most that has been said already and can't really add to it.

Bournemouth 1996 was storming but the 27th May at the RAH was unbelievable!! Again it's not captured on the recording but we were all blown away by this concert, the look on each others faces after the show was a picture. When I messaged Guy about the concert - he and the band had agreed that this particular concert had been good!

I have to say that having copied some of the shows to disc (primarily for the car) I have found myself listening to nothing but MK's solo material only. (Mr Pottel will be pleased because I find myself skipping R&J as to be honest I'm not keen on it now!)

It was good also to meet the fellow regulars of AMIT in London too!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »
Knopflerfan - It was great to meet you and mrs knopflerfan too! 

I agree with what you all have said about the RAH stick - the atmosphere we experienced at the concert is somewhat missing on the recording.  Perhaps this is why I much prefer listening to the Lucca radio broadcast so much - it is as exciting listening to it now as it was on the evening it was broadcast and it is definitely my favourite concert of the ones I have heard, even though I wasn't physically present and there was no SOS either!   The lady introducing the concert added to the general excitement too, as did the audience!    :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »
Knopflerfan - It was great to meet you and mrs knopflerfan too! 

I agree with what you all have said about the RAH stick - the atmosphere we experienced at the concert is somewhat missing on the recording.  Perhaps this is why I much prefer listening to the Lucca radio broadcast so much - it is as exciting listening to it now as it was on the evening it was broadcast and it is definitely my favourite concert of the ones I have heard, even though I wasn't physically present and there was no SOS either!   The lady introducing the concert added to the general excitement too, as did the audience!    :D

Good to have met Mr and Mrs Superval too!!! ;)

* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.