Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: TV programme on Lillian Roxon  (Read 1296 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
TV programme on Lillian Roxon
« on: August 09, 2013, 08:27:43 AM »
"Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia" was one of the first of its kind. My poor paperback copy is (quite literally) falling apart. If I didn't have such fond memories of it, I would have thrown it away a couple of decades ago. When I reserved a copy originally through the Inter-Library Loan system, the local librarian told me, when it arrived, that he thought it would be a scientific tome - that's how unusual a book on rock music was at that time. Now well out of date, "Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia" always seemed to be "authentic" in some way.

Anyway, there's TV programme about Lillian Roxon coming up on Sky Arts 1 on 13 August 2013 at 10 pm.

Meanwhile, here's a little bit of Lillian Roxon from her Wiki entry:

Linda McCartney (then Linda Eastman) was one of Roxon's closest female friends and she did much to further Eastman's career, but the friendship ended abruptly in 1969 when Eastman moved to London, married Paul McCartney and cut all ties with all her former friends, a move which wounded Roxon deeply.

Lillian eventually retaliated, four years later, with her famously scathing review of the McCartneys' first American TV special. Published in the New York Sunday News on 22 April 1973, Roxon's review panned the documentary and poured scorn on Linda, slamming her for being "catatonic with horror at having to mingle with ordinary people", "disdainful if not downright bored ... her teeth relentlessly clamped in a Scarsdale lockjaw", and "incredibly cold and arrogant".

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: TV programme on Lillian Roxon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
Hi Twm, as this is under "mark knopfler discussion" I was wondering where the link with mk is?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: TV programme on Lillian Roxon
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »
I should have said. The original "Rock Encyclopedia" was updated by someone else in the very late 1970s , after her death, I think. It was said to be not as good as the original and I never bothered to get it or to check it out. I'm not sure if DS managed to sneak in (maybe someone here knows) but, if so, it may have been their first mention in one of these kinds of reference books. I have a few encyclopedia-style publications from (I would guess) the late 1970s and early 1980s; my doubt is because they are still boxes but I wonder if DS managed to get entries in those. 

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.028 seconds with 38 queries.